Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y roof racks - AliExpress and others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have experience with these roof racks for Model Y?

They’re considerably cheaper than Tesla’s and look identical. The have the same J hook mount.

I have the Tesla branded racks on my S but these look good to me. Of course I know there’s always risk with knock offs but I’m wondering if anyone has tried these? The first links are for a Canadian company and the second one is from AliExpress- I’m willing to bet these are the same thing, marked up in Canada (still cheaper than Tesla’s)

I bet these are from China vendors like this:

C$ 270.95 57% Off | 2021 Aluminum Roof Rack Cross Bars Cargo Carriers For Tesla Model Y Model 3 2017-2020 Rooftop Crossbar Luggage Holder For Tesla

Reactions: chadol
I just got mine yesterday from Aliexpress. Going to put them on today. Instructions are in good english which is a bit of a surprise. Quality looks and feels great. Judging from the online videos of people installing the OEM racks these are a bit different. Will report how installation went.

Reactions: BitJam
I suspect the existence of the Shanghai Gigafactory will have a dramatic effect on fit and compatibility for all these accessories coming out of China, just easier to get an actual vehicle to test on. Your risk tolerance should probably be somewhat coupled to the expected load (bikes probably ok, maybe wouldn't do a tent for overlanding) and the worst case scenario of something going wrong.

I just got mine yesterday from Aliexpress. Going to put them on today. Instructions are in good english which is a bit of a surprise. Quality looks and feels great. Judging from the online videos of people installing the OEM racks these are a bit different. Will report how installation went.
Sporty2k - how did the installation go? Please provide your feedback. Thx

Everything went great. These installation was simple. The parts look pretty OEM and they look great on. No locks though and one other BIG issue...they whistle when driving around 25-35. No sound at higher or lower speeds but the whistle is enough to make me take them off and only use when I need to transport my bikes for long distances.

Saw the roof racks are back in stock. On the fence about ordering one as I'd really only use it for skis (and even then, only handful of times per year). Has anyone had experience with this Thule rack on their MYLR (especially in CO)? I've seen a lot of positive feedback on the Yakima Fatcats, but I have the Thule from my old car still so I'm starting with that.
Or would I be better off trying to sell my rack and carry the skis inside the car?

I might be following Sporty's footsteps.
As a guy who has never used AliExpress in the past, it's rather daunting seeing what looks like the same product, the same pictures used by all the different vendors, and then the wild difference in prices.

Everything went great. These installation was simple. The parts look pretty OEM and they look great on. No locks though and one other BIG issue...they whistle when driving around 25-35. No sound at higher or lower speeds but the whistle is enough to make me take them off and only use when I need to transport my bikes for long distances.
That’s a bummer. Even if they look and perform well, that would drive me nuts. I bet they sort it out with future design tweak.

Didn't you damage the glass or trim? I bought the same roof rack because the OEM ones are not yet for sale in Europe. If I put the J-hooks inside the trim it looks like the screw thread is close to the glass and roof trim. I'm afraid if the roof rack starts moving sideward it will damage either the paint or glass?

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 289
Didn't you damage the glass or trim? I bought the same roof rack because the OEM ones are not yet for sale in Europe. If I put the J-hooks inside the trim it looks like the screw thread is close to the glass and roof trim. I'm afraid if the roof rack starts moving sideward it will damage either the paint or glass?
When you are installing yours, did you have the issue where the rear J hooks were not long enough? mine was so short that I couldn't even get the nuts screwed all the way in without really forcing it.

I just realized I got mine on ebay ..but they are from the same Chinese source For Tesla model Y Roof Rack Cross Bar luggage Racks 2020 2021 | eBay
I got these ones too and just have them installed today. 2 issues, mine start whistling after 40mph and won't stop whistling no matter how fast I go. Also the rear J hooks seems to be shorter because of the thicker rubber base, causing the nut couldn't get screwed down fully without a considerable amount of force.

Did you experience something similar with yours?

Other than these I think they are great.