Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y roof racks - AliExpress and others

SteveW25561

Jun 10, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Anyone have experience with these roof racks for Model Y?

They’re considerably cheaper than Tesla’s and look identical. The have the same J hook mount.

I have the Tesla branded racks on my S but these look good to me. Of course I know there’s always risk with knock offs but I’m wondering if anyone has tried these? The first links are for a Canadian company and the second one is from AliExpress- I’m willing to bet these are the same thing, marked up in Canada (still cheaper than Tesla’s)

I bet these are from China vendors like this:

C$ 270.95 57% Off | 2021 Aluminum Roof Rack Cross Bars Cargo Carriers For Tesla Model Y Model 3 2017-2020 Rooftop Crossbar Luggage Holder For Tesla

sporty2k

Mar 10, 2021
Gig Harbor WA
I just got mine yesterday from Aliexpress. Going to put them on today. Instructions are in good english which is a bit of a surprise. Quality looks and feels great. Judging from the online videos of people installing the OEM racks these are a bit different. Will report how installation went.

sporty2k

Mar 10, 2021
Gig Harbor WA

Grandpa Gebis

May 25, 2021
Midwest
These do look a bit taller, and the mounting foot looks a bit different. At around $350, why not just go for the tried and true OEM verion... Best of luck to those with these racks!

Grandpa Gebis

May 25, 2021
Midwest
Actually the CAD$ pricing for the Tesla version is $650 vs $275 CAD from AliExpress or $420 CAD from the Canadian company.
Sorry, I was looking at prices in USD and didn’t see you were from Canada. I still stand by the OEM and would be hesitant to trust a knock off, but to each their own.

JimmySure

Jul 13, 2021
Seattle
I am all about saving bucks where possible, but decided on OEM for the roof rack AND had Tesla install after reading horror stories about cracked roof glass and Tesla not covering under warranty. Good luck guys!

Reactions: jsight

osunick

Jul 1, 2021
Palo Alto, CA
I suspect the existence of the Shanghai Gigafactory will have a dramatic effect on fit and compatibility for all these accessories coming out of China, just easier to get an actual vehicle to test on. Your risk tolerance should probably be somewhat coupled to the expected load (bikes probably ok, maybe wouldn't do a tent for overlanding) and the worst case scenario of something going wrong.

Mrkulit9

Jul 1, 2021
Glendora
I just got mine yesterday from Aliexpress. Going to put them on today. Instructions are in good english which is a bit of a surprise. Quality looks and feels great. Judging from the online videos of people installing the OEM racks these are a bit different. Will report how installation went.
Sporty2k - how did the installation go? Please provide your feedback. Thx

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC