Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof Sun Shade Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In about a month I should be driving a new Model Y LR (blue w/ white interior). My wife asked that I get a roof sun shade. I'm now researching and haven't found much of a discussion thread on this for the Y for the past year (at least as I can find). So, I'm hopeful the collective wisdom will shed some light (pun is intended) on what might be the best current option out there for heat mitigation, glare suppression, quality build and durability. Tasmanian has a new (version 2) roof shade for the Y coming soon. Basenor and others have similar products as well. Thanks in advance.

Has anyone installed the Tesmanian roof shade with the 2 magnets?

I bought a different shade with reflector late last year and it fell while driving with the windows down. This was before the Tasmanian one was available with the magnets, which I bought. It arrived recently with no instructions as to where to put the magnets for best performance. Since they work by sticking to a metallic sticker that is stuck to my roof I want to put them in an optimal spot.

There was no documentation included with the shade and my query to Tasmanian hasn’t been answered.

My Guess is that the magnets should be 1/2 way back just behind the front seats and about 1/3 the way in from the sides. Any help is appreciated.

I think the reason the shade wants to pull out is due to the curve (front to back) of the roof glass, since the shade’s metal frame wants to be flat. It is a pretty LARGE shade :)

Thanks for any help!

Has anyone installed the Tesmanian roof shade with the 2 magnets?

I bought a different shade with reflector late last year and it fell while driving with the windows down. This was before the Tasmanian one was available with the magnets, which I bought. It arrived recently with no instructions as to where to put the magnets for best performance. Since they work by sticking to a metallic sticker that is stuck to my roof I want to put them in an optimal spot.

There was no documentation included with the shade and my query to Tasmanian hasn’t been answered.

My Guess is that the magnets should be 1/2 way back just behind the front seats and about 1/3 the way in from the sides. Any help is appreciated.

I think the reason the shade wants to pull out is due to the curve (front to back) of the roof glass, since the shade’s metal frame wants to be flat. It is a pretty LARGE shade :)

Thanks for any help!
See thread; Page 10; post #196, Tesmanian sunshade with magnets installed: Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

Got this reply today-

Below is a simple installation instruction for the sunshade magnets

1) Choose the areas you'd like to install the magnets to keep saggy area flat . (our suggestion: 2 sides of the center as it will help to pull flat from middle to side).
2) Stick the metal piece w/ adhesive tape to glass roof ceiling
3) Install the Sun Screen with clips
4) Attach Magnet to the adhesive piece by pulling shade from center to each side to flatten the sag.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

T E S M A N I A N

www.Tesmanian.com
Email: [email protected]
Customer Service: Tues-Fri 11am-5pm PST
Order 24/7 @ www.Tesmanian.com

That’s what I was guessing.

In the meantime I bought some cheap metal threshold pieces (6’ long) cut them down and wedged them across the car in a manner that pushes the clips into the body of the car. This shade really should stay up :)

I'm surprised that none of the roof sun shades come with suction cups to prevent sagging. The mesh sun shade liner would make it easy to attach a suction cup and backing plate without damaging the liner. This would also be true of using several Velcro strips to hold up the liner.

This might work; the cable end unscrews from the suction cup so it would be simple to thread the cable through the sun shade mesh liner at two points.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63900-Window-Holder/dp/B000MIUK0U/

Last edited:
Reactions: PCTAZRichard
Drove with the windows down, both magnets fell. Either I put them in incorrect spots or they just won't hold with windows down.

Plan B- I'm going to fashion a cross bar somehow.

Interesting, I guess I never drive with the windows down! Good to know, though I did ask and got sent a couple of more magnets to put a bit forward.. Great service IMO. I personally couldn't drive around a long trip without the shade. It's just too hot for my taste without it.

Reactions: PCTAZRichard
Interesting, I guess I never drive with the windows down! Good to know, though I did ask and got sent a couple of more magnets to put a bit forward.. Great service IMO. I personally couldn't drive around a long trip without the shade. It's just too hot for my taste without it.
Yes, great service.
I'm also a bit concerned about being hit in the head with a magnet upon an impact, pothole, etc. That's a list of edge cases though.

I'm interested in this as well. So far, I've found:

Tesmanian sun shade - $70. appears to include an auxiliary silver reflective screen to decrease heat transfer. Reports of sagging; Tesmananian includes magnets; requires a metal disc stuck to the glass roof and may come off with the windows down.

RPM accessories - $80. Appears very simliar to the Tesmanian shade with case and auxiliary reflective screen. They also state up front that it will sag.

Evannex sunshade - $70 more like what you put in the windshield when you park the car. Totally opaque but doesn't look great.

Other miscellaneous mesh shades (Jaronx, Df1motorsports, etc) - most appear to be from the same source and even have the same pictures. No auxiliary reflective screen.

This Post from @Bluejug describing a home-made stave he put in to hold his in place.

What I haven't found is anything comparing the different models or actually comparing interior temps before and after. The best I've seen is people saying "it feels cooler when I'm driving" which is nice, but rather subjective. has anyone seen anything more than this?

• Informative
Reactions: 52 16 57 39
I purchased the Tesmanian shade fully expecting to deal with the ugly magnets or fashioning a center cross bar, but to my surprise the sag in the middle was not too bad at all for something I only plan to keep up 3 months of the year. My BF is 6’2” but sits low in the passenger seat, and I am 5’0” and my seat is jacked up pretty high. I hardly notice it is there.
As for the heat difference, I would say minimal tbh. I didn’t use the reflective panel and most of the sun shines through the windshield and passenger windows. Need to get tint ASAP. BF says his head feels less hot though. Shrug
AC26E5E7-48B2-4326-A49F-518156FD8A41.jpeg
3CAA82BB-96B1-49CC-A7B2-7568F7ADE86E.jpeg

I've only had my MY for less than a week, but most of it has been on full sun days in CO, where we get some pretty intense heat, and I've been surprised that the panoramic roof hasn't bothered me, since it was literally (and I do mean it) my number one concern with the car. I'm definitely getting the windows tinted asap, but I'm going to hold off on any tint/shades for the top for right now.

I just ordered this KIKIMO Sun Shade for my Model Y: https://www.amazon.com/KIKIMO-Sunshade-Accessories-Reflective-Dustproof/dp/B09232DK8Q/

Prime Day Deal - 49.99 ($39.99 for Prime Members).

This past weekend I left my Model Y parked in the sun for 8 hours. The outside temperature was around 90F(32C) I left Cabin Overheat Protection turned on. I estimate that Cabin Overheat Protection used 6.5kWh of energy over 8 hours to maintain the temperature of my Model Y below at or below 105F (40.5C)

I will probably leave the sun shade in my Model Y during the summer. I may not need to install the reflective cover.

I will run another 8 hour test with the sun shade installed.

Note: I have not added any tint treatment to any of the glass in my Model Y.

Reactions: mhcrowder
Well, I fixed the sag. Mostly.
While I didn't hit my head on it there was still a problem when I drive with the windows down. Enough air can circulate to cause the shade combo to fall.
I found something like this marked down to $4 at True Value -

Bought some 2" wide black duct tape, cut the trim down to fit between the clips (or buckles as they are sometimes called) with the proper arch, expertly covered it in black duct tape (duck tape brand). Wedged the trim so when it is arched up to the glass it leaves no space, otherwise it will pop down but not fall down. When the cut piece wasn't long enough I scooted the clips back towards the rear and that narrowed the distance. Two of these trim pieces really pushes the clips into their place AND holds the shade up. It only looks a *little* half assed :) .

There's still some flapping noise from the reflector blowing around but nothing like before and I am confident it will stay up.

The one variable for every car is how tight that gap is between the car's trim and glass. For my windshield the gap is much bigger and the clips up front don't do much at all, but around the B pillar the gap is very tight.

Hope this inspires someone.