Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD - Full battery only 389 km ?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As per title, I have a brand new Model Y RWD that should be 455 km and, considering the 20" wheels, should be about 420 km range.
However ... full charge indicates 389 km, after about 2000 km being already run (waiting for any possible initial "tuning" of the battery... that seem to be not the case).

Any one with such low numbers?

About to ask for "assistance" but it will require me to go a lot far from home, since in Ticino no assistance points are present :-(

Welcome!

There are literally dozens of threads here on this subject. Most likely there is nothing wrong with your car. It is normal to get significantly less range that what is advertised. The advertised range is controlled by government regulators. There are many things that will affect your range and the range from the regulators given on Tesla's website is very optimistic. Things that will significantly affect range include:
  • speed
  • temperature
  • climate control
  • calibration of battery management system
  • inclement weather (rain and snow)
The LFP battery in the RWD 3 and Y is particularly susceptible to temporary range loss in cold weather. Significantly more than the battery in the long range and performance models.

One good place to start is the energy consumption app on the touchscreen. The icon for it in the menu bar looks like a graph. It will break down how energy in the car is being used and it will often provide tips for increasing your range. Again, most likely there is nothing wrong with your car.

If you still suspect there is something wrong then we would need to know about most of the things in the list above in order to help you. The information in the energy consumption app would be a good start.

BTW: there are at least two different ranges displayed on the touchscreen. The range near the battery icon is usually bogus. Most people touch the battery icon to change it to percent and leave it there. The range given in the energy consumption app is more accurate.

I believe this might be the most frequent of FAQs on this forum (saying that as a newbie). Short answer: switch to % charge display and don't switch back.

Long version: actual range depends on so many factors that without the actually trip route and speed, any indicated range is just a very very rough estimate.

I my limited experience (~7k km in a MYLR) in practical terms efficiency (and therefore range per % charge) has been slightly better than expected (expectation was around 400km in good conditions). In CH elevation will tend to be a major factor that will mess things up.

Thank you for your kind replies.
I would have expected to "see" 420, then eventually go down faster (as it happens when you go in highway or climbing a mountain), but not have 389 km as 100%, that's not what I would expect to see.

That was to say that I'm not asking why the "effective" range is lower than 420 (that's ok, it depends on many factors).
I was just asking why I have 389 km indicated as 100%, where I should see 420 km.
The range is given in several places and they don't all agree. Which range indicator(s) are you referring to?

There are three things that combine to estimate your range:

range (km) = total Wh of battery * state-of-charge / inverse-efficiency (Wh/km)

BTW: people use this formula with information provided in the energy consumption app to figure out their battery capacity. About one and a half or two years ago Tesla increased the capacity of the battery in the 3 and Y. This technique let people near the cusp find out if they had the new, larger battery or not.

Most of the discussion in the posts above was about efficiency. But that's not the whole story. It's difficult to measure the exact state-of-charge of LFP batteries because the voltage level tapers slowly (compared to the batteries used in LR and P) as the battery charges. This is why Tesla recommends you charge LFPs up to 100%. It's not good for the battery and you can extend the life of the battery by avoiding charging to 100%. This recommendation was made to reduce the number of complaints about inaccurate range indication.

Teslas now have a self test mode that will let you measure the health (total Wh) of your battery (unfortunately there is a bug that gives crazy results on some cars). The test takes 24 hours and the car must be plugged into a level 2 charger.

Kyle Conner says the only true way to measure range is to charge the battery up to 100%, drive it until it's at 0%, and see how far you've gone. He has done this for many cars including his 2019 M3P. Here he shows why people don't take indicated range too seriously. LFP batteries are probably worse (more noisy) than what is show here.

I just read the 389 km on the main screen. It goes exactly to 389 at every 100% charge.
I will check statistics a little more in details and start measuring a little, however I live in a full-of-hills place and it is a continuous up&down, so the consumption is heavily affected by this.

I have a new (2 weeks old ) MY rwd in the UK and It’s shows 260 miles ~ 418 km on the display at 100% charge. I expect this will reduce by a few % in the first year as my previous M3 LFP 60kw did.

I kind of suspect we wouldn't be having this thread if Tesla simply changed the display to state the rated range when at 100% charge instead of an estimate, naturally it would (still) be completely meaningless, but there are some fights you can't win.
I actually switched to % since some days ... let's see how it goes, because at the end you need to know if you can arrive at destination and when to plan your charges ... with the percentage, not necessarily you can know when it's time to start looking for a charger.

But still, having the right max. range at least when you leave after a full charge wouldn't be just easy ... ?!

... let's see how it goes, because at the end you need to know if you can arrive at destination and when to plan your charges ... with the percentage, not necessarily you can know when it's time to start looking for a charger.
Just use the onboard navigation if there is any doubt about having enough charge to reach your destination. It will suggest charging stops and will reroute if you are using more than predicted and need an earlier stop.

I have a new (2 weeks old ) MY rwd in the UK and It’s shows 260 miles ~ 418 km on the display at 100% charge. I expect this will reduce by a few % in the first year as my previous M3 LFP 60kw did.
Elmet, this is exactly what I'm observing with my, 2 weeks old, MY RWD, LFP battery.
Did 2 full charges, so far, and in both cases it shows 418 km (the advertised range is 445).
Wonder what might be your range readings nowadays, after ~2 months?

I bought a Model Y, 2 weeks ago in Netherlands and charged it twice to 100% and mine shows - 418 Km as well when fully charged, I believe this is correct and the WLTP range of 455KM on tesla website takes regenerative batter into account, So if you drive approx 420 KM you will regenerate about 30-35KM of extra range.

• Informative
Reactions: Arrosto
That is excellent for the winter tbh, very impressed by that. It should get to 280 now its warmer. What is the range now ? I'm looking at the Model Y RWD and live in the UK.

I bought a Model Y, 2 weeks ago in Netherlands and charged it twice to 100% and mine shows - 418 Km as well when fully charged, I believe this is correct and the WLTP range of 455KM on tesla website takes regenerative batter into account, So if you drive approx 420 KM you will regenerate about 30-35KM of extra range.
Same as above, do you get a higher range now ?