Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y: Safety Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rear cross traffic alert does not exist, as far as I know, on Tesla vehicles. It exists on many other vehicles from other car manufactures. Why does Tesla not have this key safety feature which can detect cross traffic as you back up into traffic?
Why spend time on a feature that will be irrelevant in the near future? If you can’t properly back up with a backup camera and ultrasonic sensors you probably should not be driving. If that’s a feature you want what other safety features are you willing to give up?

Blind spot detection. I don't trust the existing warning system that is supposed to tell you when you hit your turn signal if someone is your blind spot. This is a huge miss.

Also that birds eye view for parking that BMW has had (for like 5+ years now) would have been awesome on this car.

Mercedes has that neat audio feature where the speakers emit a high pitched noise to close your eardrums prior to a airbag deployment. That would have been nice.

Why spend time on a feature that will be irrelevant in the near future? If you can’t properly back up with a backup camera and ultrasonic sensors you probably should not be driving. If that’s a feature you want what other safety features are you willing to give up?
Why would this not be an issue in the near future? And why does adding rear cross traffic function REQUIRE losing some other safety feature?

I fixed your post.

[Insert non-Tesla luxury brand here] is not one of the safest cars in the world. Also, there may be safety features that may not be included without a pricey upgrade package or do not exist yet. Please post your comments.

To be fair OP (bot or not), a back-up camera and ultrasonic sensors are no replacement for radar-based rear cross traffic alert, because the latter can detect approaching vehicles way beyond the field of view of the camera or the range of the ultrasonics. RCTA is very useful for backing up when sandwiched between two large SUVs or pick-ups. I have it on my Outback and it's the only safety feature that Subaru does better than Tesla.

Last edited:
Wait. Does Tesla not have that feature where if you are backing up and a car drives by it doesn't beep? Holy! I think it's super useful especially if you're next to a gigantic truck and you can't see on one side, the sensors pick it up early and let you know.

What !? How do they not have this feature? It does tell you when there's something closing in though right?

I’m intrigued, as human eardrums cannot “close.” This would be a very helpful ability to have vs. my partner’s snoring.

There are tiny muscles that brace the tiny bones that conduct sound to the inner ear. This decreases sensitivity to loud sounds and decreases damage when theyre very loud.

It's neat that MB does this. Had not *heard* of this until today either.

I’m intrigued, as human eardrums cannot “close.” This would be a very helpful ability to have vs. my partner’s snoring.

HOW DOES MERCEDES-BENZ PRE-SAFE® SOUND WORK?
As part of the comprehensive Mercedes-Benz PRE-SAFE® suite, PRE-SAFE® Sound is activated if your vehicle detects that a collision is unavoidable. In such scenarios, PRE-SAFE®Sound will activate your Mercedes-Benz vehicle's sound system and play a short interference signal. Called "pink sound" or "pink noise," this interference signal deploys at about 80 decibels, which is roughly equivalent to the level of noise at the side of a busy road. This signal will cause a reflex in your ear to activate, protecting the eardrum and reducing the damage loud noises produced by the crash can cause to your hearing.

HOW DOES MERCEDES-BENZ PRE-SAFE® SOUND PROTECT HEARING?
PRE-SAFE® Sound protects hearing by triggering the stapedius reflex. This reflex causes the stapedius muscle to contract, weakening the connection between the ear drum and the inner ear for a split second. In essence, this causes some sound pressure to be reflected in the ear drum rather than transmitted all the way through to the inner ear. This helps mitigate hearing damage caused by high acoustic pressure or loud noises.

My biggest concern is that the bumper doesn't protect the rear portion of the car from a rear-end collision, meaning that the force of larger vehicles (full-size SUV's, pickup trucks?) will be "higher" than the bumper, causing the impact forces to be dispersed through the rear hatch and places unintended.

They had an issue with this type of stuff (submarining, also) years ago when SUV's first started getting popular - smaller cars like Civics & Corollas were hitting "under" the bumpers on SUV's and causing significant damage to the undercarriage/exhaust components.

My biggest concern is that the bumper doesn't protect the rear portion of the car from a rear-end collision, meaning that the force of larger vehicles (full-size SUV's, pickup trucks?) will be "higher" than the bumper, causing the impact forces to be dispersed through the rear hatch and places unintended.

They had an issue with this type of stuff (submarining, also) years ago when SUV's first started getting popular - smaller cars like Civics & Corollas were hitting "under" the bumpers on SUV's and causing significant damage to the undercarriage/exhaust components.
Does NHTSA's 5 star rating for Teslas not count for anything? That rating should calm your concerns. I got hit in the rear driver's side by a truck which then spun around and hit my front. Tesla totaled. I opened the door and walked away unharmed. By the way, the truck was totaled also.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Certainly, I wasn't trying to suggest that they weren't safe, but there are quite a few images on the forum of people being in rear-end collisions that have damaged to the area above the bumper. It appears that, for aerodynamics' sake, Tesla designed the Y bumper to be close to the same distance protruding rearwards as the hatch. Therefore, in a collision, with forces pushing "forwards" towards the front of the vehicle, I believe you'd have some distortion of the general area depending on impact location.