Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Screen frozen and Climate Auto Changed to Max Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the weekend, my model y - LR screen was frozen and the climate control was auto changed to max cold speed at the same time.
  • The weather was between ~95F-100F
  • The first time when I was in parking mode
  • The second time when I was driving at 85M/h on the highway. I was freak out because I can't control the screen and can't change gear when there is my family with 2 kids in the car. But then I was able to slow down by using the brake and bring it to stop on the side of the road.
  • I was able to reboot the car by going back to normal to continue my trip.
I wonder if anyone had the same issue and whether should I bring my car to the tesla service center to check.

Over the weekend, my model y - LR screen was frozen and the climate control was auto changed to max cold speed at the same time.
  • The second time when I was driving at 85M/h on the highway. I was freak out because I can't control the screen and can't change gear when there is my family with 2 kids in the car. But then I was able to slow down by using the brake and bring it to stop on the side of the road.
I wonder if anyone had the same issue and whether should I bring my car to the tesla service center to check.
Had the same thing happen on a trip a few weeks ago. We were on probably hour 7 or 8 for the day. It started blasting max, then off, then on, off a couple times. Seemed to behave normally for awhile then tried to use the map or something and it stated blasting again with no control. Luckily we were like 5 miles from a rest area so wasn’t so bad. Reboot solved it.

On that same trip a few days before, accidentally started AP twice which kicked off the more cowbell. But I swear you used to be able to control the volume or stop it. In any case it was like stuck and played like 2-3 times in a row really really loud. Was crappy because we were in a stressful part of the mountains getting sandwiched by trucks on switchbacks. I’m trying to shutoff while driving and not die, kids upset, wife is turn the damn thing off.

I had this happen to me quite often and think I narrowed it down. My screen would freeze and climate would change to max speed when someone was texting me and my phone settings allowed message notifications in the Tesla. I even felt like it was group texts that would freeze the screen and maybe something to do with pictures or GIFs in my text messages and Tesla wasn't sure how to handle it when you get a notification? This behavior was pretty consistent for me and the only thing I noticed when my screen would act up and freeze. I have since disabled text message notifications and problem seems to have gone away. I have a pixel 4 for reference and curious if any of you had text message notifications going on when your screen froze?

I've had this happen, car usually does this when the software crashes and it reboots automatically. None of the driving controls are affected during this time. You can still switch between reverse and drive and brake/accelerate etc. It's mostly just an annoyance because you can't control the AC for a few moments and the screen isn't available.
Do you recommend ignore it, and the issue will eventually be fixed with a new software update?
Or should I bring the car in to check out?

Reactions: cancoi
Do you recommend ignore it, and the issue will eventually be fixed with a new software update?
Or should I bring the car in to check out?
I just ignored it. Supposedly you can submit a bug report inside the car, but I never tried. I figured at some point Tesla will resolve with another software update. Try disabling it for now and see if that resolves your problem. I'm curious to know if it is related to text messages?

Just got my new model Y.
I have this intermittent screen freeze, but it seems to happen when I'm playing with the browser... either trying to log into YouTube (never worked) or into Tesla.com
The screen reset (pressing the the 2 scroll wheels) fixes it, but very annoying.

Reactions: cancoi
Had the same thing happen to me on Saturday. I was parked picking up laundry, I tried to adjust the temperature, noticed the screen was frozen and then the horn started honking. A few seconds later the screen went blank and then it rebooted. When the screen came back on, everything seemed fine except both set heaters were on max.

What’s interesting is that I have a Hansshow driver screen that stayed on during the reboot.

Mine has done the same thing, since 4.18.2 - just once, while traveling on the Interstate. Reboot on that occasion took much longer than normal. My browser function has also been affected. Very slow, when it works at all. I took it to our SC in Pensacola - which is classified as a SC (Light). They were unable to isolate a fault, but suggested removing SSD and disabling sentry mode. That seemed to restore browser function temporarily, but it is once again intermittent. Waiting for next software update to resolve.

I had similar episode while browsing the owner's manual of all things; occurred twice on 4.18.1 the same day as delivery and then later in the week. 4.18.2 updated and I don't believe it's happened since. If it occurs again, I'll put in a ticket (mobile service coming next Wed.)

Mine just froze last night. I backed into my drive and put it in park to unload groceries before driving into the garage (because the back opens so high). The screen went black and the ac blasted out max cold air. I rebooted the car and unloaded the groceries.
When I put it in R to back into the garage it did it again, but the car was still in R. It wouldn’t switch to P or even D. I was afraid that I would hit the garage wall. I carefully backed to the right spot, then rebooted, all the time with my foot on the brake. It seemed to come back fine, but now I’m worried.
This should have been fixed by now.