Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Seat Configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a question that I've thought about as well. Since it was confirmed that the Model Y would have falcon wing door I assume it will have more than 2 rows of seats. It could be the case that the vehicle only has falcon wing doors and no front doors, but somehow I doubt it.

It will only have 2 falcon wing doors(larger ones) instead of 4 doors.
Reduces costs

I've heard this argument before and I find it unlikely. There's really no reason for it when you think about it. If you wanted to cut cost surely the correct decision would be to have 4 non-falcon wing doors. A 2 row layout with 2 falcon wing doors just seems cumbersome and pointless for an suv with room for 4 normal doors.

My take: I believe the first Ys will have traditional doors and seat 5 people with a folding second row. Y 2.0 will have the option of FWDs.
While in the years to come the FWDs may be made fool proof, in a more economical CUV traditional doors would be less expensive and have less potential for issues.

It should really be 5 seater, no falcon wing doors and everything else Tesla currently offer on their car with the biohazard weapon as an option... Selling for 10k more than model 3 and that's it...
Simple... The could even build it on the same chassis as the M3 just like the X was for model S...

Do you think there is any possibility that Model Y will have more than five seats? Or will this be totally unattainable on a crossover/CUV/smaller Model X platform?

I would be very surprised if the Model Y has more than 5 seats. The Model X is barely big enough to host three full rows - and the third row is rather cramped, with very little space behind it. The only way a smaller car could possibly manage a third row is by giving up the rear taper/hatch - but that'd presumably mean a whole lot more drag - and it'd still be very cramped.

The only way a smaller car could possibly manage a third row is by giving up the rear taper/hatch - but that'd presumably mean a whole lot more drag - and it'd still be very cramped.

I would love a 6 seat configuration for the Y..The 3'rd row would probably be more of a children only thing but i don't see a problem with that.

But as you say, they would probably have to make it more of a regular hatchback with a flatter roof to be able to fit a third row, and get the added drag that you get by doing that. It doesn't need to be that dramatic though, Audi A4 Sedan = 0.23, A4 Avant (station wagon) = 0.26.

I doubt they will every do Falcon Wing doors. My X has them, and while they are a wonder, they are very complex and very heavy. The entire center of the car from the driver back is heavily reinforced to support them. Then there is the whole practicality aspect.

As Elon says, "Faberge Egg"

Looks like the Model Y 2nd row seats have (3) separate fold-down partitions, meaning you could fold down just the middle seat-back and lay your skis on it, while still carrying 4 passengers. This is not verified, only speculation/deduction based on the interior cargo photo released yesterday. Would be a great incremental improvement from the Model 3 interior IMO.

Interesting to review the posts in this thread now that we know the Y has 5 seats standard and an optional third row with 2 seats. :cool:

I think the third row seating will be suitable for most children but not for people over 5 1/2 ft tall.

Yeah, I was really surprised they included a third row option. With the short backs and lack of headrests, you know it's got to be a pretty tight space, and the roofline can't leave a lot of headroom. Hopefully we'll get some actual dimensions soon.

Yeah, I was really surprised they included a third row option. With the short backs and lack of headrests, you know it's got to be a pretty tight space, and the roofline can't leave a lot of headroom. Hopefully we'll get some actual dimensions soon.

Third row is obviously for small kids and maybe tiny adults, pretty much like most 3rd rows on most crossovers. With the third row up though it seems you essentially loose the trunk. Seems like the seat backs are right at the back of the Y. It's perfect for me and my family as a second car. We already have a 7 seat X. Good for picking up 4 kids from school.

Hi,

Do you get any extra storage if you get 5seater. I imagine there would be room for a cubby?

We suppose that the amount of additional room choosing the 5-seater over the 7-seater will be somewhat comparable to the advantage you get in a MX - with the additional advantage of the triple-split (and sliding?) 2nd row.

What we REALLY hope for is a decent luggage cover/tarpaulin/blind (like in the MS), which we have been sorely missing in the MX.