Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Seatbelt Guides in Rear Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Model Y have seatbelt guides (somewhere to loop the top of the belt into) as they lay on the seats? Am I missing something? Mine just sit limp and fall between the seat and the side panel of the car doors and they bang around like crazy when driving.

Can someone show a picture of the problem with the Model Y seat belts and explain the difference with the Model 3?

Tesla-Model-Y-USB-C-326x242.jpg

Last edited:
Why do you believe this can be caused by the seat belt?

The only difference with the Model 3 is the middle seat.
1. The back of the middle seat is attached to the left seat only, but the right side is not attached?
2. The whole back seat is not attached to the frame, so the whole back seat might vibrate?

tesla-model-y-middle-rear-seat-fold-scaled.jpg

3. The seat belt buckles seem dangling?

model-y-seats-down-EO9o0cW.jpg

Do you think any of those could be the origin of the problem?

Last edited:
Why do you believe this can be caused by the seat belt?

The only difference with the Model 3 is the middle seat.
1. The back of the middle seat is attached to the left seat only, but the right side is not attached?
2. The whole back seat is not attached to the frame, so the whole back seat might vibrate?

tesla-model-y-middle-rear-seat-fold-scaled.jpg

3. The seat belt buckles seem dangling?

model-y-seats-down-EO9o0cW.jpg

Do you think any of those could be the origin of the problem?

Yes. Number 3.
When I put the seatbelt like this, there is no rattle.

IMG_2932.jpg

By default, they lay like this...

IMG_2934.jpg

I wonder if any of those seat belt guides that fit under the headrests would work? I see an aftermarket opportunity here for the rear seat seat belt guides. It’s beyond me why Tesla didn’t just put in the thin plastic guides for the back seat belts...

I went outside to my 4Runner because I assumed it had a guide or a clip to prevent the seatbelt from rattling. No guide, no clip. Looks just like the photos of the Model Y.

The only difference is that the position of the belt is a little higher, so the belt buckle rests on the seat, which is why I've probably never noticed any rattling. Maybe the same thing could be done with the Y. That's caused a different problem, however -- the belt has left a nice indentation in the rear seat.

No, the center seat rattle is different. The one this thread is about is the side passenger seat belts just float between the seat side and the plastic panels on the side of the car. The front passenger seat has a similar issue where the belt buckle plastic bangs up against the seats rear plastic panel on the back. I solved the front passenger issue by placing some 1/8"x1" foam tape right where it comes in contact while in the unbuckled position. This way it bangs against the soft foam tape, no more rattle. I assume the rear ones can be solved in a similar manner. Although I have to admit I haven't heard the rear seat belts causing noise in my MY, just the center seat rattle (which again is a different sound and cause of the rattle).

At first I was thinking that it is kind of annoying to have to be placing tape everywhere to stop rattle sounds, but then I remembered in my VW Golf R (Yes, a German vehicle manufactured in Germany) even had a rattle with the seat belt buckle (that part that you plug the buckle into) for the front passenger. I had to put little felt pads on that to keep it from vibrating with the center console plastics.

At first I was thinking that it is kind of annoying to have to be placing tape everywhere to stop rattle sounds, but then I remembered in my VW Golf R (Yes, a German vehicle manufactured in Germany) even had a rattle with the seat belt buckle (that part that you plug the buckle into) for the front passenger. I had to put little felt pads on that to keep it from vibrating with the center console plastics.
German engineering!!!