Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y security alarm (again)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having read the manual and looked at other threads in this and other forums, it appears that with changes in recent software updates it is no longer possible to turn off the security alarm on a model Y. The instructions in the owner's manual no longer work and the 'security alarm' check box is permanently greyed out (even with sentry mode off).

As I am taking my car on a ferry across the channel in a couple of hours, this is something of a problem. Does anyone know a workaround, or should I just pretend it's not my car until we arrive in France?

Reactions: Luvtoride
The recent software in the new Model Y doesn't have that setting (probably the same for all Tesla's running v11). I investigated the possibitlty of using Camp Made, as that turns off the alarm, and setting the climate control to 'Off' using the app. However the manual says:

"You can adjust and monitor the climate control system remotely using the mobile app. However, if you use the mobile app to turn off the climate control system, Keep Climate On, Dog, and Camp stop operating."

This presumably means that the alarm comes back on.

So, unless anyone knows a fix, it looks like I will need to find a seat at the far end of the ferry and ignore any announcements ("Could the owner of car…").

Reactions: Luvtoride
The recent software in the new Model Y doesn't have that setting (probably the same for all Tesla's running v11). I investigated the possibitlty of using Camp Made, as that turns off the alarm, and setting the climate control to 'Off' using the app. However the manual says:

"You can adjust and monitor the climate control system remotely using the mobile app. However, if you use the mobile app to turn off the climate control system, Keep Climate On, Dog, and Camp stop operating."

This presumably means that the alarm comes back on.

So, unless anyone knows a fix, it looks like I will need to find a seat at the far end of the ferry and ignore any announcements ("Could the owner of car…").
I can pretty much guarantee yours won't be the only car with the alarm going off. You can tell when the IoW ferry has set off as there's always a round of car alarms (including mine the first time I took it on a ferry). It quietens down once you're out of port unless it's a bit choppy. At least it won't flatten your battery like it does with ICE cars.

Well, the channel was absolutely flat today so it wasn’t an issue, but thanks for the replies. My quest tomorrow is to get from North to South using motorways and superchargers.
How was the return journey? I’m about to board the hull to Rotterdam myself but I can’t find a way to disable the alarm. I’m beginning to think there is no tilt sensor on the model Y

How was the return journey? I’m about to board the hull to Rotterdam myself but I can’t find a way to disable the alarm. I’m beginning to think there is no tilt sensor on the model Y
The return journey was slightly bumpier (but not rough) and I could hear the Tesla alarm (along with several others) for most of the crossing. I simply pretended that it had nothing to do with me. The battery was still fine when I arrived in Portsmouth as I had used the Caen superchargers to top up before I boarded.

And there still seems to be no way to turn off the alarm.

• Informative
Reactions: p3k4y and Adopado
The return journey was slightly bumpier (but not rough) and I could hear the Tesla alarm (along with several others) for most of the crossing. I simply pretended that it had nothing to do with me. The battery was still fine when I arrived in Portsmouth as I had used the Caen superchargers to top up before I boarded.

And there still seems to be no way to turn off the alarm.
Agreed. I don’t think it went off but I boarded at 80% and it was still at 80% the next morning after an 11 hour crossing

Just done a Calmac ferry trip and put the car into dog mode, which seemed to do the trick as other car alarms were going off and ours didnt. It was a small ferry so we could see the car from the passenger deck.

There is certainly no option to disable the tilt alarm on our model Y even with sentry mode disabled.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Not a ferry issue, but I accidently set off the alarm on a Model Y yesterday. We made a stop to pick someone up. The driver went in to get the person and I stayed in the car in the back seat (he didn't put Dog mode on). I needed to adjust the rear seat belt which had slipped back where I couldn't reach it so I opened the rear door. OMG, I almost had a heart attack. Not only does the horn blare incessantly, but it plays music through the outside speakers! I couldn't find if the driver left the key card. Fortunately, he heard the alarm from inside and got the notification on the app that the alarm went off. He was able to turn it off after about 30 seconds with his app. This was on the streets in Manhattan so although several people walked by and were looking, no one was really too disturbed by the loud sounds. I can't imagine letting that noise go on for longer on a ferry due to rough seas!