Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Service Bulletins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very curious about SB-20-40-003 "Replace Rear Drive Unit Inverter, Model Y" as it was just released and to which VIN's it is applicable to? It reads like a large Campaign Bulletin and my Model Y definitely makes more whiney sounds than my Model 3 used to (RWD and basically silent). I'm curious if this could cause those sounds or if they are just a side effect of the new 990 series motor.

LOL, the one for the charge-port door that isn't flush is essentially: Remove the hardware, beat on the metal until the charge-port door can be reinstalled flush.
They failed to mention remediation if you beat the metal in too far and now the charge port door sits below the tail light assembly. I guess you add washers? Oh well, another trip to Home Depot :rolleyes:

While in for my Homelink install, also complained about rubbing from rear passenger side. They initially said it was the rear caliper. When I remarked that seems like a bad thing to not be put on tight, they said it was just the shield on the rear brake caliper, but with that service bulletin, I am betting it was the caliper.

Yikes. This isn’t making me feel any better about placing an order for the car. I’d hate to say it but some of these things are kind of ridiculous. I know that all manufacturers have issues, but it just seems like Tesla is like a freshman squad instead of Varsity level. (Don’t get me wrong, the Y is my dream car, but I can’t have it fail on me in the first year... I am hoping for it to go 10+)

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
Yikes. This isn’t making me feel any better about placing an order for the car. I’d hate to say it but some of these things are kind of ridiculous. I know that all manufacturers have issues, but it just seems like Tesla is like a freshman squad instead of Varsity level. (Don’t get me wrong, the Y is my dream car, but I can’t have it fail on me in the first year... I am hoping for it to go 10+)

Well, if Tesla is smart, those bulletins should be addressed in newly manufactured cars. Most of the issues shared here are for existing Model Y.

I hope viewers notice that Tesla does indeed have sub millimeter accuracies in their specifications... so there is a very precise meaning for “within spec” that everyone enjoys mocking
But what good is it if they don't follow their own guidelines? One thing to have them and actually use them.

Mind you most of these are just check for possible problems which most cars probably don't have.

Go searching for service bulletins for a car that you already own. You might be surprised how regularly they come out and how many issues are actually pretty common.

(1) can we assume a service bulletin is primarily of concern for vehicles manufactured BEFORE the date of the bulletin?

(2) I see reference to VIN numbers to which an SB applies, but I don't see any VINs listed. Presumably those are in other docs?

thanks!

But what good is it if they don't follow their own guidelines? One thing to have them and actually use them.
A very good number of complaints came from early production MY's with badly protruding charge port covers. Many owners were turned away at the SC being told "it's common" or "it's withing spec"... well now we know what "spec" is.. 1.5mm. Armed with the service bulletin they can no longer brush you off claiming it "within spec" when according to a ruler it's not..
Hopefully someone with access can dig up the gap specs on the glass roof, doors, etc... in the near future. It's a shame when it has to get to the point where a customer has to be waiving a service bulletin in front of the service writer to get warranty work done.

Reactions: decrypt
(1) can we assume a service bulletin is primarily of concern for vehicles manufactured BEFORE the date of the bulletin?

(2) I see reference to VIN numbers to which an SB applies, but I don't see any VINs listed. Presumably those are in other docs?

thanks!

It won't be that clean. Some things, like the A/C retrofit, will have been addressed in the production process and probably won't apply to car produced after a certain date. But others, like the charging port door, are probably more endemic to the manufacturing process itself and not easily fixed without a higher degree of quality control on the line (which we already know isn't as high a priority for Tesla).

It won't be that clean. Some things, like the A/C retrofit, will have been addressed in the production process and probably won't apply to car produced after a certain date. But others, like the charging port door, are probably more endemic to the manufacturing process itself and not easily fixed without a higher degree of quality control on the line (which we already know isn't as high a priority for Tesla).

I have end of July build and it looks like the seating, fender, and MOST of the gaps issues were addressed during manufacturing. VIN 30xxx.

• Informative
Reactions: preilly44
"Adjust Overflush Charge Port Door": added to my list of future service appts. Back in May, the SC did do an engineering verification but no work needed to be done at that time.
Looks like a few weeks afterwards they added this bulletin. I did mention the charge port and gaps don't match especially when I compared them to my 3.