Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Service Bulletins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if it is listed on your title anywhere? I opened the FedEx envelope and found the certificate of origin in there, so the state probably has that if the envelope was mailed to them directly. Just a guess on my part. Hope you can find it!

I believe most states require that to first register/title the car after manufacture. I bought a bike out of state and got it and had to turn it in to title the car.

I was just in for service and they mentioned they were applying a service bulletin on my vehicle. Doesn't look like they actually did anything though and didn't see it in this OP's list.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200925-190100_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20200925-190100_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 281
I have made an appointment to address two of the bulletins in the list (SB 20-40-003 & 20-44-002). I have been told that I need to verify that the bulletins apply to my particular Model Y by looking up the VIN # in the SB. The SB does not list the affected Model Y VINS. It instead refers to a VIN tracker. They also told be that they cannot "just perform certain bulletins upon request". Perhaps I am misreading the tone of the text message, but I am asking myself where is the famous Tesla service in this situation. I have given them my VIN # and asked them to look it up on the VIN tracker. I am starting to feel like I am dealing with any other auto repair service center and warranty issues at this point.

There's a possible conflict of interest betweenTesla writing the SB and doing the work. We have to trust Tesla to do the right thing because there's no incentive to do the work when there's no revenue. A dealer gets paid by the manufacturer when it performs a SB.

Obviously my comment does not apply to critical SB and federally mandated SB.

Reactions: artnalex
Automobile recall notices are either for a safety issue, i.e. theTakata air bag inflator recall, or an emission issue; it is probably safe to say that the Tesla vehicles will probably never have an emission-related recall.

Service bulletins exist in the hundreds for most passenger vehicle and light trucks. Depending on when your vehicle was built, where it was built a service bulletin may require parts be added or replaced or a software update be performed on your vehicle.

Some service bulletin updates may be applied to the vehicle, at the service center's option if the customer experiences a specific issue. The service center is not required to perform an update simply because the update exists and the customer requests the update. Example, say there is an issue with the vehicle's antenna, some customer's experience poor reception on the FM radio or cell phone network. There may be a replacement antenna that can improve reception. If the customer is not experiencing poor reception or if the service center cannot reproduce the poor reception then the service center is not required to install the updated antenna.

Some service bulletin updates may be applied to the vehicle, at the service center's option if the customer experiences a specific issue. The service center is not required to perform an update simply because the update exists and the customer requests the update.

Had this with a VW. The Bluetooth streaming had the left and right audio channels swapped so it was reversed. VW had a TSB on it but would only apply the fix, a software update, if someone complained.

My Model Y was delivered in June so assembly was probably completed after the factory shutdown earlier this past spring. The only post delivery issue I had with my Model Y, one that could not be ignored or delayed, was that my Model Y started leaking AC compressor oil (this lubricant is fluorescent yellow btw, like a yellow tennis ball, the compressor oil even glows under a UV black light.) This repair required a Tesla Mobile Service appointment followed by Tesla requesting that I stop driving the Model Y and have the Model Y towed on a flat bed to the Service Center. The repair, including waiting for parts, took over a week.

I had taken photos of the front compartment after the mobile service technician removed the shroud and the front storage bin so I would have a photo record of what is underneath the shroud and the storage bin. As delivered from the factory my Model Y's AC compressor did not have the acoustic cover installed. Now at the time I was battling a leaking AC compressor so it was kind of self defeating to ask that the Service Center install the acoustic cover on the compressor until I was certain that the leak had been fixed. Honestly, I don't know if the Service Center installed the acoustic cover as part of the repair to my Model Y. Does it sound different, quieter now? Maybe, I'm not really sure. There were a few times this summer during the warmest weather, before the leak was fixed, when the HVAC system sounded like a jet turbine engine spinning up when I lowered the temperature setting. After the repair, the HVAC seems to be quieter. The next time my Model Y needs service I may inquire about the acoustic cover.

There is an existing service bulletin regarding the AC compressor acoustic cover but the Service Center is not going to install the cover unless the customer complains that the AC compressor is noisy. The service center may possibly install the acoustic cover as part of repairing the HVAC compressor and compressor lines for a separate issue.

Last edited:
FYI, posted this in the other thread but just called the Tesla 877 number and asked if my VIN was affected. He put me on hold and said there were no active items for my vehicle.

I called because I hear a 'clunk' sound when hitting certain bumps in the road that cause the suspension/wheels to drop quickly (and there are a ton of them in Boston!), which I swear wasn't there in the first 2-4 weeks I had the car.