Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Service Bulletins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, posted this in the other thread but just called the Tesla 877 number and asked if my VIN was affected. He put me on hold and said there were no active items for my vehicle.

I called because I hear a 'clunk' sound when hitting certain bumps in the road that cause the suspension/wheels to drop quickly (and there are a ton of them in Boston!), which I swear wasn't there in the first 2-4 weeks I had the car.
The recall affect the bolts within the steering control. Your Model Y may have a different issue involving the struts.

Interesting...have there been others who’ve had issues with the struts?

This affects only my front suspension/wheels.
I am not aware of other Model Y owners having issues with the struts. You could have simply damaged a strut driving too fast over a speed bump or a pothole. The speed bumps that are supposed to be painted but the paint has worn off are the worst to try and see, especially at night. Also, potholes that appear without warning in the middle of the road, often at night, can damage your tires, wheels or even suspension if they are deep enough.

Yikes. This isn’t making me feel any better about placing an order for the car. I’d hate to say it but some of these things are kind of ridiculous. I know that all manufacturers have issues, but it just seems like Tesla is like a freshman squad instead of Varsity level. (Don’t get me wrong, the Y is my dream car, but I can’t have it fail on me in the first year... I am hoping for it to go 10+)
I’ve owned my Y for 22 days and it’s already been in service for 6 of those days. It’s going back in for at least a couple more days next week. The technology is great and torque of EVs is incredible. Having said that, the quality control on the Y is a terrible. Anyone saying anything different isn’t being honest IMHO. The service departments are overwhelmed. Try to make an appointment and see how long it takes. Btw, you’ll be communicating via an app for everything and will have a very difficult time getting someone on the phone if you can at all. Maybe you’ll be lucky and not have any issues. But understand when you accept delivery that you are aware of what you might be getting into. I had read enough about the issues that I have nobody else to blame but myself. However, I was unaware of how difficult it was dealing with getting things fixed. Everyone told me “service is awesome. They’ll fix any issue and you’ll be happy.” Now those people tell me, “yeah, service went down hill. You used to be able to talk to people. Now everything is done through the damn app and all your calls go directly to voicemail.”

I’ve owned my Y for 22 days and it’s already been in service for 6 of those days. It’s going back in for at least a couple more days next week. The technology is great and torque of EVs is incredible. Having said that, the quality control on the Y is a terrible. Anyone saying anything different isn’t being honest IMHO. The service departments are overwhelmed. Try to make an appointment and see how long it takes. Btw, you’ll be communicating via an app for everything and will have a very difficult time getting someone on the phone if you can at all. Maybe you’ll be lucky and not have any issues. But understand when you accept delivery that you are aware of what you might be getting into. I had read enough about the issues that I have nobody else to blame but myself. However, I was unaware of how difficult it was dealing with getting things fixed. Everyone told me “service is awesome. They’ll fix any issue and you’ll be happy.” Now those people tell me, “yeah, service went down hill. You used to be able to talk to people. Now everything is done through the damn app and all your calls go directly to voicemail.”
Would you please provide some additional information. What geographic region? What issues have you had with your Model Y since accepting delivery? Was Mobile Service available in your area, was the Mobile Service technician able to resolve any of the issues?

While it is true that it is difficult to communicate with Tesla Service Center once your vehicle is at the Service Center you can leave a voice mail message and someone from the Service Center team should call you back with an update on your vehicle, i.e. awaiting parts, etc.

It is important that your Tesla account is up to date, has your current mobile phone number and email address. Tesla uses a centralized, secure, SMS text message system. When it works, the text message system is how the Tesla Service Center team prefers to communicate with the customer. When the messaging system is unavailable Tesla will communicate via email.

Would you please provide some additional information. What geographic region? What issues have you had with your Model Y since accepting delivery? Was Mobile Service available in your area, was the Mobile Service technician able to resolve any of the issues?

While it is true that it is difficult to communicate with Tesla Service Center once your vehicle is at the Service Center you can leave a voice mail message and someone from the Service Center team should call you back with an update on your vehicle, i.e. awaiting parts, etc.

It is important that your Tesla account is up to date, has your current mobile phone number and email address. Tesla uses a centralized, secure, SMS text message system. When it works, the text message system is how the Tesla Service Center team prefers to communicate with the customer. When the messaging system is unavailable Tesla will communicate via email.

Region...Northeast (NJ)
Issues... On delivery, the car had a 3inch+ deep scratch on one of the passenger doors. The scratch is too much for touchup paint so the whole door will need to be repainted which will take a couple of days. The door is also badly aligned with the front door and rear quarter panel. There was another scratch on one of the other doors which can be fixed with touchup paint I was told. There were other alignment issues with panels, rear lights, frunk, etc., that were "whatevers" in my book. I agreed to take delivery bc I had waited 7 weeks for the car and they told me they'd fix everything. I took delivery on 11/5/20 and they scheduled an appt for 12/1/20 to fix the issues.

Six days after taking delivery, it was raining an my car alarm was triggered. I looked at my app and it said the passenger door behind the driver was opened. I went out to see what going on to find the door closed but the window down slightly. I opened and closed the door twice before the window went up. Seems strange but I thought that was it. After walking back into my house, the car locked itself. A few seconds later the alarm was going off again and the app said the door was opened again. I went out and repeated what I did before. But this time, the window wouldn't go up and the car wouldn't sense the door was closed. I called road side assistance to see what they could do. They had me reboot the car several times. Nothing. Then they had me recalibrate the windows several times. Nothing. In the meantime, my car started opening and closing the back window frequently and the screen had the door being "open" and then "closed" each time. To be clear, the door was never opened. As it was my 6th day of ownership, they scheduled a service appt the next day.

When I dropped the car off the next day, I explained the entire problem to the person in service. I also told them about the 45 min conversation I had the night before. When I dropped off the car, the problem wasn't happening. At that point, the only issue present was the car saying the window on the same door was opened when it wasn't. I explained to the service department that I thought it had to do with the rain. The night before I dropped it off I placed it in my garage. For the first couple of hours the main issue existed but the next morning after the car had time to dry out, the car recognized the door as closed.

After having the car for 4 days, I got a message through the app saying the car was ready for pickup and they couldn't find a problem. I tried to get in touch with someone via email and phone to ask what was going on but got nowhere. Eventually, I went to the service center to try to talk to someone in person. When I did, I learned that they never looked at the issue. They just thought my error was a problem people had with the app saying the rear door was opened. I guess there was miscommunication between people. After another day, of looking at it they still couldn't fine a problem. By this time, I discovered this website and found someone else who had the exact same problem and how it was related to an improperly installed wiring harness in the door which was getting wet and causing the issue. I sent the service dept the post and the head technician (the 3rd tech to look at my car) realized my harness was also installed improperly at the factory.

Another thing I noticed during the whole ordeal was that water seems to be collecting somewhere inside the door. After a couple of days fo dry weather, water streaks (a lot) appear on the windows when you roll them down and back up. I mentioned it at the time and thought it could be part of the issue. I don't think anything was done bc it rained last week and there was a lot of water on 3 of the windows when I rolled them down and back up. It can't be good for the car to have water trapped inside the doors. I'd say it was a design issue b ut my friend with a Y doesn't have the same problem. I've taken video and pictures of the issue and will let service know about it when I bring it in for the original body issues next week.

Yes...We understand all that your wrote. Except how in Gods name does one "talk" to Tesla. I have a service bulletin #SB-20--40-003. Does Tesla fix at no charge? How do I find that out? We brought our Y in last August at the Las Vegas dealdership. Never got an invoice. It was not in the car so I asked. I was told it would be emailed. Nope...never got anything. Still do not know to this day what was wrong and how to avoid it. No one talks to you when you pick up the car. They direct you to an unmarked stall (you have to figure out the number system) and retrieve your car. It sat outside for 5 days and because of weather, it came back filthy. If anyone asks us about Teslas...same message. Like the car...Hate the service (called customer service, but it is text service) I have a million questions about my Y. why does our Navigation sometimes speak and other times not?// Why cant I find local radio stations?/ Why does the screen go black for a minute or so while driving?? Why does auto steer act so quirky when on curvy roads?? Whats the ghost braking?? Why isnt there a message when you are approaching a supercharger telling you that there are nine cars in line?? And are any of these serious issues that should be dealt with at a dare I call it----a service center???? I am sure I have talked many out of buying a Tesla as I find ownership frustrating, if not irritating.

SB-20-31-012
Yes...We understand all that your wrote. Except how in Gods name does one "talk" to Tesla. I have a service bulletin #SB-20--40-003. Does Tesla fix at no charge? How do I find that out? We brought our Y in last August at the Las Vegas dealdership. Never got an invoice. It was not in the car so I asked. I was told it would be emailed. Nope...never got anything. Still do not know to this day what was wrong and how to avoid it. No one talks to you when you pick up the car. They direct you to an unmarked stall (you have to figure out the number system) and retrieve your car. It sat outside for 5 days and because of weather, it came back filthy. If anyone asks us about Teslas...same message. Like the car...Hate the service (called customer service, but it is text service) I have a million questions about my Y. why does our Navigation sometimes speak and other times not?// Why cant I find local radio stations?/ Why does the screen go black for a minute or so while driving?? Why does auto steer act so quirky when on curvy roads?? Whats the ghost braking?? Why isnt there a message when you are approaching a supercharger telling you that there are nine cars in line?? And are any of these serious issues that should be dealt with at a dare I call it----a service center???? I am sure I have talked many out of buying a Tesla as I find ownership frustrating, if not irritating.
The best way is to open a service ticket using the app. How long have you had the car? When I picked my car in Ohio, I was told I had around 40 days to put through a Due Bill to have all my issues corrected.

I opened a service ticket regarding this issue not knowing if my car was one of them. After messaging with a tech I was told it applies to all model Ys. Either the tech doesn't know or the scope has been expanded.
In any Recall Action the automobile manufacturer is required to send a letter to all affected vehicle owners. So far I have not been contacted.

In any Recall Action the automobile manufacturer is required to send a letter to all affected vehicle owners. So far I have not been contacted.

Yep, by USPS mail. But as of the 24th,when the recall was made, they hadn't set a schedule for notifications. I think they have 30 days. You aren't being very patient for it being a holiday week and all. Not to mention that there are only 401 vehicles impacted.

Yep, by USPS mail. But as of the 24th,when the recall was made, they hadn't set a schedule for notifications. I think they have 30 days. You aren't being very patient for it being a holiday week and all. Not to mention that there are only 401 vehicles impacted.
The Electrek article stated that 437 Model Y vehicles were affected out of perhaps 30k or 40k Model Y vehicles, so 1%?

The Electrek article stated that 437 Model Y vehicles were affected out of perhaps 30k or 40k Model Y vehicles, so 1%?

That article referred an the old version of the document. Tesla filed an updated document that said only 401 were potentially affected.

As far as percentage, haven't they made closer to 70k at this point? So closer to 0.5% might have an issue.

Reactions: preilly44
Is anyone aware of, specifically, the number of Tesla Model 3's and Y's delivered versus vehicle issues? That is, how many Tesla vehicles (aside from Fit and Finish) have not had any major mechanical issues.

It would be interesting to see the percentage of major issues per 3's and Y's delivered versus no major issues. That way, we on the TMC can start tracking the data and have a better idea of Tesla's QC versus other manufactures. Also, this data would eventually get back to Tesla (even though they track major issues in house), we as consumers can contribute to Tesla making better, more reliable Tesla's...

"Within Spec".. meet your enemy ($8):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KX118J8/

51gvo4wovaL._SL1001_.jpg
But where are those "magic" specs? Have not seen any in neither the order specification nor on the pictures on tesla.com.

Absolutely seriously. Anyone can refer to the sources?