Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Service Bulletins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this today on Reddit/TeslaModelY:

Tesla Model Y • r/TeslaModelY

PSA: Tesla changed from "only fix when customer complains" to doing a full wide stealthy recall for the 2020/2021 3/Y. The A/C sensors are going bad so if you think you have any problems with A/C - you know what to do. Make an apt or ask Tesla during your service appointment

The PSA is NOT from Tesla, but from @greentheonly. He wrote that Tesla is "doing a full wide stealthy recall..."

The Reddit post contains an image of the Tesla Service Bulletin, advising techs when/how to replace components in HVAC systems that have failed.

Greentheonly's use of the term "recall" is unfortunate, because there IS NO RECALL. A Service Bulletin isn't a recall.

HVAC systems are failing, for sure. There's no denying that. The issue is being addressed by Tesla, but doesn't appear to be proactive, but reactive.

The PSA is NOT from Tesla, but from @greentheonly. He wrote that Tesla is "doing a full wide stealthy recall..."
The Reddit post contains an image of the Tesla Service Bulletin, advising techs when/how to replace components in HVAC systems that have failed.

Greentheonly's use of the term "recall" is unfortunate, because there IS NO RECALL. A Service Bulletin isn't a recall.

HVAC systems are failing, for sure. There's no denying that. The issue is being addressed by Tesla, but doesn't appear to be proactive, but reactive.
The post from Reddit highlighted that the guidance re the Service Bulletin changed between February 5 and March 1.

Feb 5 / March 1: Condition: Certain Model 3, Model Y vehicles may be equipped with refrigerant pressure/temperature (P/T) sensors that can fault over time.

Feb 5 - Correction: Upon customer complaint of affected cabin heating or cooling, inspect the vehicle for symptoms related to the condition. If symptoms are present, replace all 3 refrigerant P/T sensors.

March 1 - Correction: Replace all 3 refrigerant P/T sensors.

It is not a recall. Vehicle recall programs involve either emission controls or vehicle safety. It is clear that this Service Bulletin now applies not only to Tesla Model 3, Model Y vehicles where customers have complained about cabin heating or cooling but to any Model 3 or Model Y with P/T sensor faults.

So, I took my car in for service today but they weren't able to replicate the issue with my heater blowing cold air and after running tests, it was deemed that the HVAC is working properly. I think it may have been because it was too warm for the car to blow cold air and with spring around the corner, I don't think I'll have a chance to show them the issue. Is there a VIN list of the affected vehicles that I can reference and show the service center?

Loose fasteners are a very common issue in manufacturing especially when humans are involved. All it takes is one day of work with a bad torque wrench and the operator just doing their job and you have a ton of parts out the door with a common issue. Recalls are there for safety critical issues, TSBs are there for issues that a manufacturer knows exist but are a non-critical safety issue and generally lower in volume. I wouldn't worry too much as every vehicle manufacturer has these issues.

My Ram 1500 just had a TSB come out for lose windshield wiper bolts, they checked and fixed them when I dropped it off for an oil change.

GM had injector covers that started on fire on the 3800 SII engine
Dodge had a diode fail in the alternator causing the battery to start on fire
Toyota had the run-away Prius
But we are not talking about them, we are talking about the car we paid a lot of money for.

So does this mean you bring your car in and even if you have no issue with the heat pump they will replace all the potentially problematic parts if the car falls into the vin numbers they have been issued?
Yes. I went in for my tires to be swapped. They said, you have a bulletin due for the HP sensor, do you have time for us to fix it? Sure. I didn't even know this was a thing, I haven't looked at this thread and only knew of people in Canada having issues. My heat pump works fine, granted it hasn't gone much below freezing this winter.

They couldn't finish the work because of a cross-threaded part on the manifold. Nothing related to the actual TSB. So, other MY could get the work done same day.

Yes. I went in for my tires to be swapped. They said, you have a bulletin due for the HP sensor, do you have time for us to fix it? Sure. I didn't even know this was a thing, I haven't looked at this thread and only knew of people in Canada having issues. My heat pump works fine, granted it hasn't gone much below freezing this winter.

Good to know, appreciate it. Bottom line is they are treating this just like a recall. The affected cars vin is in the system and is tagged when you come in for service. I need to bring mine in for a foggy rear camera lens so will see what happens then. If they do not mention it I will.

Heat pump/HVAC issues would definitely not be treated like a recall. Automotive recalls only apply to safety issues and (ahem) emissions related issues. What you are describing is an engineering change notification (ECN). It is totally up to the manufacturer whether an ECN applies to a specific vehicle. It could be because of the VIN or it could be that the ECN fix/update will be applied only if the customer notes an issue with the vehicle that can be verified by the service department.

^^^I kinda thought that was the case. Then how can they narrow down a "range"? Date of manufacture? We'll probably never know.
Thanks for the clarification, and for stating once again, that this isn't a "recall."

They ended up having to replace my supermanifold and ac compressors when my HVAC failed a few weeks back. All is well now.

The only humorous bit was their HVAC test equipment was also broken when I dropped off my car for service so it took an extra few days.