Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y shipped without charging port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"report that your car was built" - to who, precisely and for what benefit?
Tesla projects and reports 2 numbers publicly:
1) Production
2) Deliveries

Investors base on those 2 numbers to put a value on its stock price. Let's create some numbers: Supposedly Tesla announces that this year its production rate will be 1 million. If it cannot show a number of 1 million cars produced, the investors might note that the projection was not realized.

Meeting the production projection rate is purely for Tesla's benefit and not for consumers. In this case, the car is produced but the owner doesn't have it because it's missing charging capability.

On the other hand, when the empty holes of USB-C were produced and indeed are delivered to owners, and if owners are not aware that something was missing, it's for Tesla's benefit and not for the consumer's benefit.

3Va8KVh.jpeg

Phot: Imgur

"rewarded for selling" hmm what? By whom?
If owners don't know that those empty holes are missing USB-C then Tesla doesn't have to spend money to supply and install them. That action of not demanding Tesla remedy the insufficiency is consumers' reward to Tesla: Accepting missing parts without knowing it. Same price with fewer parts.

They don't count a sale until they've delivered the car to the owner and received payment. Full stop.
Agreed: The same price with 2 hollow holes is a full stop.

Some people got their Tesla cars without a brake pads. Some with mismatched wrong tires... Full Stop indeed!

Tesla projects and reports 2 numbers publicly:
1) Production
2) Deliveries

Investors base on those 2 numbers to put a value on its stock price. Let's create some numbers: Supposedly Tesla announces that this year its production rate will be 1 million. If it cannot show a number of 1 million cars produced, the investors might note that the projection was not realized.

Meeting the production projection rate is purely for Tesla's benefit and not for consumers. In this case, the car is produced but the owner doesn't have it because it's missing charging capability.

On the other hand, when the empty holes of USB-C were produced and indeed are delivered to owners, and if owners are not aware that something was missing, it's for Tesla's benefit and not for the consumer's benefit.

3Va8KVh.jpeg

Phot: Imgur

If owners don't know that those empty holes are missing USB-C then Tesla doesn't have to spend money to supply and install them. That action of not demanding Tesla remedy the insufficiency is consumers' reward to Tesla: Accepting missing parts without knowing it. Same price with fewer parts.

Agreed: The same price with 2 hollow holes is a full stop.

Some people got their Tesla cars without a brake pads. Some with mismatched wrong tires... Full Stop indeed!
So you're acknowledging they transparently report numbers associated with both production and delivery (meaning booking revenue) on their earning report, but somehow this is all some elaborate game they are playing?

Latest Q1 2022 report where you can see they've (always) been disclosing these numbers:

BTW If there was some substantial gap between the production and delivered numbers, it would certainly negatively affect earnings as it would highlight production issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: tes-s
...somehow this is all some elaborate game they are playing?...
You can call it a game but it is a practice. It's a choice to emphasize quantity rather than quality.

If quality is prioritized, Tesla owners don't have to become a free QA department to point out quality problems at a delivery.

It is not a game. It's a blatant practice at the expense of quality.

Reactions: nick_p
VINs are not sequentially generated. They don’t correlate to build dates/times so you don’t actually know the build order.

As for parts hold… I’m encountering the same problem with my Mach-E GTPE. It’s sitting somewhere for the past 2.5 weeks without a chip or part. Supply chains are royally messed up.
My in-laws had the same problem with their Mach-E. Was mostly built in early October, then sat somewhere waiting for a part until late December. They finally got the car late February (which was kind of a ridiculously long transit time).

CCS Status of Selected Tesla Cars

The final spreadsheet table (based on an informal survey in this thread). We focused on 2019 to 2021 Model 3 and (2020-21) Model Y, but I suspect Models S and X followed a somewhat similar pattern? (At least some Models S and X from 2020, my MX for example, had CCS enabled.) Cars from 2019 and earlier lacked CCS; after 2020 they should pretty much all have CCS. That four-month 2021 backsliding period--back to CCS "Not installed"--was due to the chip shortage or some other parts supply problem, I hear. Hopefully all owners of cars lacking CCS capability who want it will be able to get a fixative retrofit, as is the case for Models S and X in Europe.

@Lawbillik Many cars have CCS capability now with required hardware in place, which can be checked in the car's settings, for whenever an adapter is made available in North America. There was a short period where they didn't again. My concern is if that's happening again.

Reactions: Lawbillik
F420 also missing the part

What is CCS support? Sorry if that’s a silly question—unsure what you mean
CCS is the normal charging standard. That Non Tesla’s use. If it is supported in your model y. Then in the future when Tesla starts to sell adapter’s for CCS. The. You can charge at a CCS station. Like EVGO or Electrify America.

Reactions: Lawbillik
Cross posting from another thread...

Has anyone with a VIN assigned car on parts hold financed with DCU?

I have a check sitting on my desk and an open loan account with the bank.

DCU will need the title and insurance documents in few days for sure. Even if the check has not been cashed yet, what happens to the open loan account?

Cross posting from another thread...

Has anyone with a VIN assigned car on parts hold financed with DCU?

I have a check sitting on my desk and an open loan account with the bank.

DCU will need the title and insurance documents in few days for sure. Even if the check has not been cashed yet, what happens to the open loan account?
I'm in the same boat. Have check and down payment ready to go but delivery keeps getting pushed by one day, every day. I don't have an expiration date on my DCU check that I can see. I was just planning on making the payment as scheduled (not due until the end of June) and see if they contact me for questions about why the check hasn't been cashed. Not sure what else to do as I am not getting any updates from local SC in Memphis as to anything really.

They initially told me when they received the car on 5/4 that it needed to be inspected before delivery to me to see if it was missing a wiper fluid sensor. If not, they would contact me to schedule delivery - if so, they had one on site that would need to be installed, but that there was one other car that had the same inspection request from the factory. As of 5/7 it had not been inspected and I can't get anyone to call me back with an update. This has been a really pi$$-poor experience so far. :(

• Helpful
Reactions: nick_p