Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y shipped without charging port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there were issues with USB ports late last year but the vehicle charging port???!!! I ordered on June 13 2021 and finally got my VIN 2 weeks ago. Waiting on getting my delivery appointment set up and come to find out they are waiting on the port that charges the car! Tesla actually shipped the car without it. Why on earth would they do that??!!!

...Why on earth would they do that??!!!
Tesla practices quantity over quality.

In so doing, it can report that your car was built even though it's missing parts. If QA held that up to wait for parts then your car is not counted as finished production.

Tesla is rewarded for selling unfinished cars with missing parts as reflected in the numbers.

That practice makes Tesla rich so why should it change its way?

Same. VIN was assigned on 04/25 with delivery scheduled for 04/30. Received an email regarding parts hold on 04/26.

Delivery advisors have no idea when the there would be an update. Keep saying that we will reach out once the car is ready. Worst experience ever.

In so doing, it can report that your car was built even though it's missing parts. If QA held that up to wait for parts then your car is not counted as finished production.

Tesla is rewarded for selling unfinished cars with missing parts as reflected in the numbers.

Tesla's not the only one doing that, due to parts shortages, I have read of Ford and GM cars going out of factory missing parts, to be retrofitted as they come in. Similar stories in terms of parts for cars in for repair.

I hope this doesn't mean charge controllers are a blocking factor. If so, there's no way the charge controller update to support CCS adapters is happening soon...
I was told mine arrived at the delivery center without the charge port ECU, and they didn't know when they would get it. But they won't sell the vehicle until it is installed and working.

I wonder if it isn't the actual port that is missing but the charge port ECU. (Which I have seen multiple reports of.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I know there were issues with USB ports late last year but the vehicle charging port???!!! I ordered on June 13 2021 and finally got my VIN 2 weeks ago. Waiting on getting my delivery appointment set up and come to find out they are waiting on the port that charges the car! Tesla actually shipped the car without it. Why on earth would they do that??!!!
They can actually deliver the car faster by shipping the car to the DC and shipping the part separately. It is quicker and easier to ship the part and install it at the DC, if they head the car until the part came in and was installed, you would then have to wait another 1-2 weeks, depending on where you lived, to get the car to the DC.

Probably so there isn't a couple thousand cars sitting in their parking lot.

I was told mine arrived at the delivery center without the charge port ECU, and they didn't know when they would get it. But they won't sell the vehicle until it is installed and working.

I wonder if it isn't the actual port that is missing but the charge port ECU. (Which I have seen multiple reports of.)
Depending who i talk to, i have been told something with the charging port, On Board Diagnostic port, or charge door problem.

Probably so there isn't a couple thousand cars sitting in their parking lot.

While I was given "supply issue", that necessarily is not true. Lot of cars manufactured with VIN's after NF427 are getting delivered. Tesla is not shipping the missing parts in a timely manner to the DC. As @Tam mentioned earlier, Tesla is prioritizing quantity over quality, and producing new cars with at the factory.

These customers who are waiting on "parts hold" cars may get screwed. On another thread there was someone whose financing would expire and they might have to reapply at a higher interest rate.

I am also holding on to a cashiers check like an idiot.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I have the exact same scenario with my new M3P - delivery date listed as May 9-13. Had to take my Y to SC for minor issue and while it was there, I walked the parking lot and found a M3P with same configuration as mine. Looked closer. Same VIN, too! The service guys did some investigating and said it was because there were charging port part(s) missing that needed to be installed.

Reactions: voxel
While I was given "supply issue", that necessarily is not true. Lot of cars manufactured with VIN's after NF427 are getting delivered. Tesla is not shipping the missing parts in a timely manner to the DC. As @Tam mentioned earlier, Tesla is prioritizing quantity over quality, and producing new cars with at the factory.

These customers who are waiting on "parts hold" cars may get screwed. On another thread there was someone whose financing would expire and they might have to reapply at a higher interest rate.

I am also holding on to a cashiers check like an idiot.
I'm on parts hold, but they took my money, so i would assume that locks in my rate.

"report that your car was built" - to who, precisely and for what benefit?

"rewarded for selling" hmm what? By whom?

They don't count a sale until they've delivered the car to the owner and received payment. Full stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHCCAZ and tes-s
Tesla's not the only one doing that, due to parts shortages, I have read of Ford and GM cars going out of factory missing parts, to be retrofitted as they come in. Similar stories in terms of parts for cars in for repair.
True my cousin just got a truck no wheel well liners, no ventelated seats and cannot use heated seats and steering wheel until he gets a part due to him in October. Gave him a $25 credit for the inconvenience lol on. $60k truck… oh and gave home $160 off for the missing wheel well liners but they cost $190 plus install (or can do himself ) . I have seen the charge port issue all over lately hope it’s not a long term shortage as that would be devestating

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
They can actually deliver the car faster by shipping the car to the DC and shipping the part separately. It is quicker and easier to ship the part and install it at the DC, if they head the car until the part came in and was installed, you would then have to wait another 1-2 weeks, depending on where you lived, to get the car to the DC.
This is the correct answer - they're clearing the assembly line and getting cars shipped out to where they'll be delivered. Letting their assembly plant "parking lot" fill up with 99.9% completed cars when they can fix them in the local area where they'll be delivered and sold makes perfect sense.

VINs are not sequentially generated. They don’t correlate to build dates/times so you don’t actually know the build order.

As for parts hold… I’m encountering the same problem with my Mach-E GTPE. It’s sitting somewhere for the past 2.5 weeks without a chip or part. Supply chains are royally messed up.