Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y should be $6500 cheaper in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought about this but after taxes I don’t see how you won’t lose money
You can guarantee keep the car for a year and pretty much sell it for the s
I have a feeling Tesla introduced the MY SR to get rid of all the piano black centre consoles. A lot of people are holding off waiting for the website to update. By introducing the cheaper SR, people jumped on the opportunity and Tesla can use the old centre console. I guess they used all of them up
Lol really .to get rid of some consoles they brought a whole new model .dosnt make any sense

I have a feeling Tesla introduced the MY SR to get rid of all the piano black centre consoles. A lot of people are holding off waiting for the website to update. By introducing the cheaper SR, people jumped on the opportunity and Tesla can use the old centre console. I guess they used all of them up
Not true, I’m picking up my MY SR and it’s got the updated console. Only a few have the older piano black.

Reactions: cdswm3 and McFlurri
Not true, I’m picking up my MY SR and it’s got the updated console. Only a few have the older piano black.

Congratulation!
Thank you so much for your posting!!!!!!

After I saw your posting, I called the store. Not my sales advisor but someone helped me to find a matching configuration with the newer console. He found one and simply swapped it. it only took 2 minutes.
Now I can see a new VIN from my account.

The old VIN was 110 and the new VIN is 133

Last week,
I was told by my SA that none of SR in Vancouver has the newer console.
I don't blame her as I got the newer console now.

I'm picking it up this weekend.
Thank you, again

Last edited:
Congratulation!
Thank you so much for your posting!!!!!!

After I saw your posting, I called the store. Not my sales advisor but someone helped me to find a matching configuration with the newer console. He found one and simply swapped it. it only took 2 minutes.
Now I can see a new VIN from my account.

The old VIN was 110 and the new VIN is 133

Last week,
I was told by my SA that none of SR in Vancouver has the newer console.
I don't blame her as I got the newer console now.

I'm picking it up this weekend.
Thank you, again
No worries, congrats on your purchase, I pick up Monday :)

What I’ve found is that different reps have different info, some have no idea what they’re talking about. I’ve found this forum to be a lot more useful then the Tesla advisors at times

There will be so few ID-4's in Canada that Tesla will not care. Next year I can see the SR model Y back. Tesla will have more production from Texas.

@cdswm3 are you saying there will be few in Canada because VW is limiting the numbers, or because of low demand? If the latter, I disagree and think it will hit a very sweet spot of value-for-the-buck, between the "value" EVs (Bolt, Kona, etc) and premium (Tesla, MME, Polestar 2, XC40 recharge, etc.). I think they could potentially sell a boatload of them if they market it well and actually bring enough units to the country.

@cdswm3 are you saying there will be few in Canada because VW is limiting the numbers, or because of low demand? If the latter, I disagree and think it will hit a very sweet spot of value-for-the-buck, between the "value" EVs (Bolt, Kona, etc) and premium (Tesla, MME, Polestar 2, XC40 recharge, etc.). I think they could potentially sell a boatload of them if they market it well and actually bring enough units to the country.
When asked, a local dealer in Ottawa indicated they were getting fewer than 10 units for sale in 2021 and all were already spoken for with deposits. Unless already in line, I don't think anyone will be able to buy one of these before summer 2022.

When asked, a local dealer in Ottawa indicated they were getting fewer than 10 units for sale in 2021 and all were already spoken for with deposits. Unless already in line, I don't think anyone will be able to buy one of these before summer 2022.
It will be like trying to buy an e-golf two-three years ago, there was just no stock. Once id.4 production starts in Tennessee we might start seeing availability toward the end of 2022 early 2023.

Inventory is being prioritized for BC and QC due to their provincial rebate system. ON is third in line for inventory so your Ottawa experience is to be expected.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
They don't have many to ship here for 2021 and most if not all of 2022. Won't be any competition if they are not available.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
Change My View.

US pricing at current exchange rates has Model Y at $63,500 CAD before tax vs the $69,900 CAD we're paying.

Tesla, if you're listening - you could provide Model Y owners in Canada a pseudo 5k rebate similar to M3 SR+ to boost MY sales next year without impacting your built in profit.

Is Tesla having difficulty selling all of the TMYs it can produce?

I understand a purchaser’s interest in getting a lower price, but not Tesla’s interest in lowering its price if it is selling every one it can produce at the current price.

When I am negotiating, I try to figure out how I can convince the other party that what I want is in their interest, or will help them to achieve their goal.

I’m not sure how lowering the price would help Tesla to achieve its goal of selling everything it produces and getting the most revenue from those sales.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdswm3
Model Y just got bio defense hepa filters + heated steering wheel in China for the equivalent of 63k CAD. All that plus better build quality.

Also Tesla could just introduce USD pricing worldwide instead of re-setting prices every few years. They get to keep profits constant and get more EV on the road which is their company’s mission.
I think you are mischaracterizing Tesla’s mission

Tesla’s website does not say its mission is to get more EV on the road, it is much broader saying,

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Electric vehicles are only one portion of that.

Doing what you suggest might not “get more EV on the road” if it does not maximize revenue that would fund more production.

If Tesla can get $US50,000 for a vehicle in the US, but can get the equivalent of US$75,000 for the same vehicle in Canada or Mexico, Tesla can generate additional US$25,000/vehicle to fund building more production facilities, resulting in it being able to “get more EV on the road which is their company’s mission.” If it were to sell those same vehicles at a lower price, it would have less revenue to invest in more production.

In addition, setting prices in US dollars might reduce getting more BEVs on the road. That pricing method would increase prices in China and potentially reduce sales there. (I think that is unlikely at this time, as I believe the above argument continues to hold true, i.e., that Tesla’s sales are limited not by demand, but by production.)

Finally, there is the practical aspect. Although some currencies are stable, some days fluctuate quickly, especially over the timescale involved in ordering a Tesla, that can span weeks or months. I know in Mexico, the M$:US$ exchange rate can be even more volatile than the C$:US$ exchange rate.