Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y should be $6500 cheaper in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if Tesla sells any regulatory credits within the US? That could be one factor in pricing that I didn't previously consider, given that it's almost certain that Tesla has nobody in Canada to sell regulatory credits to.

Tesla earns up to 4 ZEV credits per vehicle sold in a state participating in the CARB program. I think the credits cost $5k/each but sell for less than 50% of value. So Tesla could be selling up to ~$10k worth of ZEV credits per vehicle. (Assuming there is a demand for them.)

Last transfer I saw was 6,000 credits to Mazda.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocelot and rypalmer
Change My View.

US pricing at current exchange rates has Model Y at $63,500 CAD before tax vs the $69,900 CAD we're paying.

Tesla, if you're listening - you could provide Model Y owners in Canada a pseudo 5k rebate similar to M3 SR+ to boost MY sales next year without impacting your built in profit.
Why we should not by a Tesla in Canada were being ripped off. They say VAT IS THE REASON FOR THE DIFFERENCE but no way it is 25000

• Funny
Reactions: Vawlkus and cdswm3
If this is the case, why not increase the price in the US as well?

@rypalmer they could and have a little recently. On the other hand, they already have a healthy extra margin built in from sales in our market without doing anything or creating negative reactions to a price hike.

So with last night's most recent (7th!) price update to the LR AWD MY in the US market, the car now starts at $52,999 (before options, delivery, taxes, incentives, etc.). At current public exchange rate of $1.23 buys you $1 USD, that brings the CAD equivalent of the latest USD pricing to $65,156.97. Compared to our market's $69,990 pricing (before options, delivery, taxes, incentives, etc.), that's a delta of $4,833.03 CAD or $3,932.23 USD between the markets.

If they keep jacking up the pricing in the USD, who knows--maybe we'll end up coming out ahead! LOL.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3 and McFlurri
Well, I was about to come here and ask if everyone noticed that the Model Y LR was reduced in price by $1,390 after having seen this article last night Tesla lowers price of Model Y in Canada, raises Model 3/Y prices in the US [Update], but I decided to look at the config page myself and was stunned to see it's still $69,990. I see now that the article has also been updated. That's disappointing! Maybe on the next round of US increases?

ACTUALLY, with the latest increase in US pricing last night to $53,990 USD for the base LR, based on current exchange, the equivalent in CAD is now $67,891.08. That means we're only paying a premium of $2,098.92 (let's call it 21-hundred bucks) CAD north of the border!

While it's not the way we wanted our pricing to be closer to the USD pricing, it is closer.....
giphy.gif

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Well, I was about to come here and ask if everyone noticed that the Model Y LR was reduced in price by $1,390 after having seen this article last night Tesla lowers price of Model Y in Canada, raises Model 3/Y prices in the US [Update], but I decided to look at the config page myself and was stunned to see it's still $69,990. I see now that the article has also been updated. That's disappointing! Maybe on the next round of US increases?

ACTUALLY, with the latest increase in US pricing last night to $53,990 USD for the base LR, based on current exchange, the equivalent in CAD is now $67,891.08. That means we're only paying a premium of $2,098.92 (let's call it 21-hundred bucks) CAD north of the border!

While it's not the way we wanted our pricing to be closer to the USD pricing, it is closer.....
giphy.gif
If you're going to compare prices, you need to compare them both with or without destination charges.
$53,990 in the US does not include $1200 in destination charges.
$69,990 in Canada includes $1390 in destination charges.
Using your exchange rate with destination charges, the US price is $69,400 in CDN, which is almost the same price as here.

If you're going to compare prices, you need to compare them both with or without destination charges.
$53,990 in the US does not include $1200 in destination charges.
$69,990 in Canada includes $1390 in destination charges.
Using your exchange rate with destination charges, the US price is $69,400 in CDN, which is almost the same price as here.

@leafian nice catch, I've never noticed the difference in how the destination fee is handled. They must be forced to include it in the base price in Canada and not in the US?