Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y side "brushed" against truck. How to report to Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
My nice white ~2K mile Tesla Y managed to brush against a badly parked (not sure it was moving) USPS truck. The right side and tires are badly gashed. Thankfully, no injuries.
It was on autopilot in a 25mph zone (Manhattan), and a car did pass safely in front of me.
Would anyone know how I contact Tesla Customer Service (or equivalent) re: this?
I assume they'd want to make me whole given that they have a new beta test point:)
Thank
Sohan

Attachments

• CollisionSideView.JPG
    CollisionSideView.JPG
    400.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
Hi,
My nice white ~2K mile Tesla Y managed to brush against a badly parked (not sure it was moving) USPS truck. The right side and tires are badly gashed. Thankfully, no injuries.
It was on autopilot in a 25mph zone (Manhattan), and a car did pass safely in front of me.
Would anyone know how I contact Tesla Customer Service (or equivalent) re: this?
I assume they'd want to make me whole given that they have a new beta test point:)
Thank
Sohan
If you have FSD Beta then you likely already have a contact at Tesla, just talk to them.

If you're not on FSD Beta, then you likely know that Autopilot is currently designed for highway usage, ideally divided highways... in fact in the manual it actually mentions not to use it on surface streets. You probably don't want to tell your insurance company that though.

Thanks, folks, for the replies. Guess it was my bad to trust autopilot, perhaps too much:( It used to work perfectly well till this on Manhattan and city/side streets, except for defensive stops when a parked car or person was a bit close. There was enough space here & a human-driven car just in front passed through fine and I had no reason to feel like I should intervene.
And no folks, I am not saying Tesla is liable technically - I am sure the disclaimers cover everything:). And if the opposing van was indeed still & parked, NY laws place 100% liability on me, autopilot or not.
But no harm pinging Tesla on the data point, I think(thought).

And yes, thankfully, no injuries! And anyway, guess this is a (another) warning to people not to get too comfortable with FSD (yet?).

Reactions: alexcue
Hi,
Thank
Sohan
I doubt Tesla would do anything for you, let alone “make you whole”. Autopilot is used at the operators own risk. Plain and simple.