Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Small Back/Side Window Break-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has heard if Tesla are going to fix the small back/side window that has apparently been used by thieves to break into the car because it is not part of the alarm system?
I'm hoping that Tesla will deal with this issue as I was amazed to see how many Model 3's have actually been broken into because of this.
Thanks in advance for any help you are able to give regarding this issue.
:)

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Thank you for your reply Akikiki.
My apologies for not being more detailed in my initial question, what I read was that Tesla does not have the alarm connected to the small window in question and therefore thieves know this and are taking advantage of it. (they wouldn’t smash it otherwise)
What I am hoping Tesla does with the Model Y is connect this window to the alarm system which will then deter thieves from breaking it. This is actually a fairly simple ‘fix’, in concept anyway, yet perhaps not so simple to do in reality or why would Tesla not have done it in the first place.

Reactions: msee67
My apologies for not being more detailed in my initial question, what I read was that Tesla does not have the alarm connected to the small window in question and therefore thieves know this and are taking advantage of it. (they wouldn’t smash it otherwise)
What I am hoping Tesla does with the Model Y is connect this window to the alarm system which will then deter thieves from breaking it. This is actually a fairly simple ‘fix’, in concept anyway, yet perhaps not so simple to do in reality or why would Tesla not have done it in the first place.

I can't imagine how they thought this would not be a problem in the first place. Can you unlock the car by breaking a window or do the thieves care only needing the broken window to be able to reach what they want to steal?

what i have read from other owners as i do not own a tesla (yet...i have put in a deposit for a model y though:) is that thieves know the small back window does not set off the alarm so what they do is they break it and then lower the back seats so that they can look into the back trunk to see if there are any valuables in there. (and if there are i would imagine that they then smash the trunk window, grab the stuff and run, even if it then sets of the alarm...?) even if there is nothing of value in the back trunk the damage has already been done to the small window, and i'm told it costs about $500 to replace one of these small windows. therefore the best way to solve this issue would be for tesla to have the alarm system connected to these small windows and that will deter thieves from smashing it. (hopefully:) there is a seat lock you can buy that will not allow thieves to lower the back seats, yet i wonder if some thieves will still smash the small window either because they are not aware of the seat lock, or because they think they can somehow break it, which in the end does not solve the challenge of a broken small window. (even if they don't end up doing anything more than that) i will be surprised if tesla does not address this issue with the model y, i'm sure they have heard from model 3 owners who have had these issues and are aware of it. (and to my understanding tesla is pretty good about listening to its customer base:)

Folks, its a smash and grab. Its been video documented over and over. It takes <30 seconds to get in and out. Alarm or not, they are hit and gone before anyone notices where the sound is coming from.

So after the thugs have broken into one or two small windows wired to the alarm, they are simply going to break the bigger rear window. What does anyone think they are going to do ? Walk away?

What's next wire all the windows? Will that be free? How much will Tesla increase the cost to cover this? Tesla doesn't do stuff like this on just special order cars. Every car will get it. Every car price will go up to cover the cost of those purchased in high crime areas. So everyone pays for it whether they care about it or not. And when the thieves ignore the alarm and keep breaking glass, will we see the reverse? Everyone begging Tesla to stop installing the wired glass and bring the price back down? This is not a Tesla problem. Its a law enforcement community problem. Not your fault, your community leaders and politicians' fault.

Gosh how I hate to say this, but its almost like the thieves are smashing the small window and not the larger rear window out of some sort of sympathy - or something. Is it safe to believe the thugs don't price out rear window versus small window and think because its small its cheaper?

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec and ibdb
what i have read from other owners as i do not own a tesla (yet...i have put in a deposit for a model y though:) is that thieves know the small back window does not set off the alarm so what they do is they break it and then lower the back seats so that they can look into the back trunk to see if there are any valuables in there. (and if there are i would imagine that they then smash the trunk window, grab the stuff and run, even if it then sets of the alarm...?) even if there is nothing of value in the back trunk the damage has already been done to the small window, and i'm told it costs about $500 to replace one of these small windows. therefore the best way to solve this issue would be for tesla to have the alarm system connected to these small windows and that will deter thieves from smashing it. (hopefully:) there is a seat lock you can buy that will not allow thieves to lower the back seats, yet i wonder if some thieves will still smash the small window either because they are not aware of the seat lock, or because they think they can somehow break it, which in the end does not solve the challenge of a broken small window. (even if they don't end up doing anything more than that) i will be surprised if tesla does not address this issue with the model y, i'm sure they have heard from model 3 owners who have had these issues and are aware of it. (and to my understanding tesla is pretty good about listening to its customer base:)

Yes, some folks have learned to leave the seats folded down when they park in dangerous areas. And when they leave them up, more likely to be broken into.

We've seen reports here that its more than $700 to replace the windows. Maybe it will get cheaper the more its done - I am sorry to say for those folks impacted.

I'm sorry for all of you that this is happening to anyone. Its not fair, its of course is illegal and people rightly feel violated. From reports here on TMC, its happening frequently in only a couple of areas of the country. Our cars, 3's and S's are also vulnerable. And its not only happeining to Tesla's. We've heard reports of other manufacturers hit in the same parking lots. But The Mustang, Yugo and Hudson guys are not posting here. But adding wiring to 2 windows or 4 or 6 on every S, 3, Y or what's next for every car delivered is excessive when it increases the prices on all and adequately we hope serves a small segment of the Tesla community because of the location they live.

Last edited:
Thieves know if they can break the glass they can pull the seat down and get anything of value in the trunk very quickly. Some cars have a lock preventing you from pulling down the back seat which discourages thieves from breaking the glass. Many owners have requested Tesla add a locking mechanism.

Wire the 400V DC system to the glass surround .. then when you return to the car each day you can do a body count to figure out how many ppl tried to break in. :)

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has heard if Tesla are going to fix the small back/side window that has apparently been used by thieves to break into the car because it is not part of the alarm system?
I'm hoping that Tesla will deal with this issue as I was amazed to see how many Model 3's have actually been broken into because of this.
Thanks in advance for any help you are able to give regarding this issue.
:)
While walking in the street and passing near various cars, I noticed that some cars, have very noticeable latches on top of the rear seat.

So what I did was to black out the two triangle rear side windows using some tinting film and I also added Triangular Window Sunsides

So from the outside, the triangular windows seem very solid and opaque, like a body panel, so this area doesn't attract any attention.

I also put some black seat covers from Wet Okole and I requested not having any opening for the latches on top of the rear seats.

I don't also open my trunk after parking to avoid been noticed when leaving the car.

So far there was no breaking issue.

71pyzlUQpJL._SL1500_.jpg

While walking in the street and passing near various cars, I noticed that some cars, have very noticeable latches on top of the rear seat.

So what I did was to black out the two triangle rear side windows using some tinting film and I also added Triangular Window Sunsides

So from the outside, the triangular windows seem very solid and opaque, like a body panel, so this area doesn't attract any attention.

I also put some black seat covers from Wet Okole and I requested not having any opening for the latches on top of the rear seats.

I don't also open my trunk after parking to avoid been noticed when leaving the car.

So far there was no breaking issue.

71pyzlUQpJL._SL1500_.jpg

That's very creative and clever. So you are saying no one or nothing has broken into your car in a Galaxy far far away?

Thieves know if they can break the glass they can pull the seat down and get anything of value in the trunk very quickly. Some cars have a lock preventing you from pulling down the back seat which discourages thieves from breaking the glass. Many owners have requested Tesla add a locking mechanism.
Curious. How are those many owners requesting? How are they submitting their interest in a locking mechanism to Tesla? Did know, have not seen a suggestion box anywhere. Seriously, just wondering how.

Folks, its a smash and grab. Its been video documented over and over. It takes <30 seconds to get in and out. Alarm or not, they are hit and gone before anyone notices where the sound is coming from.

So after the thugs have broken into one or two small windows wired to the alarm, they are simply going to break the bigger rear window. What does anyone think they are going to do ? Walk away?

What's next wire all the windows? Will that be free? How much will Tesla increase the cost to cover this? Tesla doesn't do stuff like this on just special order cars. Every car will get it. Every car price will go up to cover the cost of those purchased in high crime areas. So everyone pays for it whether they care about it or not. And when the thieves ignore the alarm and keep breaking glass, will we see the reverse? Everyone begging Tesla to stop installing the wired glass and bring the price back down? This is not a Tesla problem. Its a law enforcement community problem. Not your fault, your community leaders and politicians' fault.

Gosh how I hate to say this, but its almost like the thieves are smashing the small window and not the larger rear window out of some sort of sympathy - or something. Is it safe to believe the thugs don't price out rear window versus small window and think because its small its cheaper?
You're missing their point, windows aren't being broken on Teslas because of stuff sitting in the cabin, they're smashing them primarily in the rear windows to activate the latch which Tesla CHOSE not to make lockable, granting them easy access to the trunk...where most people put their valuables when leaving the vehicle unattended!

You're missing their point, windows aren't being broken on Teslas because of stuff sitting in the cabin, they're smashing them primarily in the rear windows to activate the latch which Tesla CHOSE not to make lockable, granting them easy access to the trunk...where most people put their valuables when leaving the vehicle unattended!
Thanks for your comment, but how is what you said any different when the window is still broken to get into the back seat or pull down the seat.

Thanks for your comment, but how is what you said any different when the window is still broken to get into the back seat or pull down the seat.
...because most manufacturers either don't have that seat latch or if they do it can be locked. People aren't randomly breaking into Tesla not knowing if anything is in the car, they know that it has this flaw hence why the overwhelming amount of break-ins are to that small rear window which gives them access to items in the trunk. You're arguing that the window is still getting broken, when the reality is that it is ONLY getting broken to access the trunk, which wouldn't happen if Tesla didn't have that feature to begin with.

No sir. I am saying if they don't/can't break the little window, why does anyone think they won't break another window? They don't care about your property. They are going to break a small window, rear window, maybe even front window to get in to TRY and fold down the seat. The way I read your reply one would think the rear windows are made of steel.

Reactions: HillClimb