Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Snow Chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's definitely enforced in California. They know most people from LA and whatnot have never driven in snow ever and they come up in their Subarus and cause chaos. So they still require people to carry chains.

Haha that is true. My experience is mostly in Lake Tahoe. The crews usually just wave me through without checking anything when driving my Subaru, and would just ask me through the window briefly in the Audi if we have AWD. Never checked tires/chain status otherwise.

I saw those, but my concern was the clearance on the back so I didn't grab them yet. Have you tried tossing them on?

So just wanted to circle back on this. I live in an apartment where garage space is limited so I had to wait until I drove out to a motel with a larger, emptier parking lot to play with. My chance came today as I was parked at Buck Meadows, near the entrance of Yosemite. I had good reason to try them on, since it was snowing a fair bit in the park.

Quick note to others - I tried installing them on the front, and realized quickly that there was ... I think a suspension arm? that made the clearance so small that I dared not even try driving after putting them on:

IMG_2351.jpg IMG_2353.jpg

As you can see, the clearance is extremely tight and will almost certainly cause damage.

I switched to the rear wheel, and there's definitely plenty of clearance:
IMG_2354.jpg

I drove around slowly for a bit to try and reduce the slack, and ended up with requiring about 6-7 notches on this particular tire chain before it seemed secure enough:

IMG_2361.jpg

Since the wheel well is so dark I took my Panasonic G9 and did some photo editing to try and highlight the clearance:

P1054759.jpg

Overall I think this safe to use, tested at about 25mph.

@masotime Nice job. In general, using the rear is what I would have expected on these cars (since it isn't a front wheel drive car.) Also, the rear well is known to have more room since the performance ubertines use larger tires than the front. Glad to see that it worked for that tested. How far did you take it at 25mph? the whole drive up or just in the parking lot?

@masotime Nice job. In general, using the rear is what I would have expected on these cars (since it isn't a front wheel drive car.) Also, the rear well is known to have more room since the performance ubertines use larger tires than the front. Glad to see that it worked for that tested. How far did you take it at 25mph? the whole drive up or just in the parking lot?

Just the parking lot. I ended up not having to actually use it in the snow.

What's weird that the Tesla page states the size is 252, while the Konig website states you need 247...
Good point.

Tesla site says König XG-12 Pro 252

At the 19 inch on Konig site, I get
König XG-12 PRO 245
20 inch I get
König XG-12 PRO 247

Fit Guide - Consumer - König EN

Note, after looking a bit further...

The PRO 245 on amazon seems to just be a standard sizing.
  • 235/75-15, 215/85-16, 215/80-16, 225/75-16, 235/65-16 (no Goodyear Cargo Ultra Grip 2 , no Continental Vanco2), 6.50-17, 225/65-17, 235/60-17, 225/60-18, 235/55-18, 245/50-18, 245/45-19, 255/45-19, 245/40-20
https://www.amazon.com/KONIG-XG-12-PRO-Snow-chains/dp/B002LF7GYK

I think the 252 that they recommend is proprietary. I cannot find the 252 size online at all, I am guessing Tesla has them specifically make adjustments to not damage suspension or trim.

Another note: The "Assume Tesla proprietary 252" is only ~$30 more than the other ones, so for $30 I would happily pay to prevent potential damages.

Last edited:
True but someone might try to install a different set of chains on the front wheels, not realize that for Tesla vehicles tire chains are only to be installed on the rear wheels.

Hmmm... the point is that the clearance is too small, not that this particular set of chains won't work. If you don't get that from my post... I'm not exactly sure how to help? It's quite obvious what I'm trying to say, I don't know how someone can interpret that a "different set of chains" will work with such a small clearance.

Hmmm... the point is that the clearance is too small, not that this particular set of chains won't work. If you don't get that from my post... I'm not exactly sure how to help? It's quite obvious what I'm trying to say, I don't know how someone can interpret that a "different set of chains" will work with such a small clearance.
If you fit an 18" wheel on the car and mount a slightly smaller tire then the clearance would slightly increase. Anyway, I was confused until I read the product description on the Tesla Store.

• Informative
Reactions: masotime
If you fit an 18" wheel on the car and mount a slightly smaller tire then the clearance would slightly increase. Anyway, I was confused until I read the product description on the Tesla Store.

Thanks! That's a good point. I agree that it might be possible that people might interpret it as installing a smaller tire would make it possible. I'll update the post accordingly.

EDIT: Looks like I can't edit it anymore :( Hopefully this conversation will serve as a warning to others then.

So we can't install the snow chains on 21" Uberturbines?
You might be able to...I'd consider it risky. I am simply saying this because the wheels are obviously large, but Tesla naturally puts a larger tire on there also. Your best bet is to buy some aftermarket 21 and put them on and test in your driveway. Honestly though....just buy some solid winter tires and then carry chains to "show" CHP you have chains. You will prob never need to use them.

You might be able to...I'd consider it risky. I am simply saying this because the wheels are obviously large, but Tesla naturally puts a larger tire on there also. Your best bet is to buy some aftermarket 21 and put them on and test in your driveway. Honestly though....just buy some solid winter tires and then carry chains to "show" CHP you have chains. You will prob never need to use them.

Right. Well I have a set of winter wheels coming (20"), and they should be the same dimensions, so at least that will work.