Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Snow Chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called up Tesla and the rep said it "should be fine" and he wasn't aware of Tesla changing the tire size over the last year or so.
My car was manufactured in March 2021 (Tesla Model Y - LR w/ 19" Gemini Wheels).

So I made the purchase, there is a 30-day return policy if they don't fit.
Did you end up getting them? Can you tell if they might damage the Gemini wheels when installed? I have a pair on the way but am prepared to return them if they seem like they would do the same damage others have shown happen to the Induction wheels. Especially when the something like these might also work.

We were up there by Lake Arrowhead just before New Year. Chains were required on all vehicles. You put on chain or you don't go up. Some went up before they put up the block and got stuck. We passed by a few Tesla (Model 3, S, X) on the way up and they were stuck.

I have these on my MX's rear tires and they work perfectly. Super easy to put on too. Some other MX owners recommended these on this forum a few years ago. I used it twice in 3 years have not not noticed any damage to my suspension yet.... ymmv.

Amazon.com

Last edited:
The König chains go on without too much drama and certainly fit the Gemini wheels. I’m feeling much better that they won’t significantly damage the wheels (or covers) due to the fact they had small gray circular spacers you could install on the chains at your discretion. You can see they aren’t in the first photo but I installed them for the later photos. I also tried to capture the stand off provided when installed.

I’m feeling good about the purchase and better about being back out in the winter snow and ice knowing I’ll have these installed.

C9589874-9A08-47DA-AE51-ACA0666034EF.jpeg

C111ADF3-CAB0-4BF1-BFED-45A2A6B3DB7A.jpeg

46D7FB51-1D1C-4829-9630-C13FE3A91204.jpeg

Reactions: Jamezam
Has anyone had any joy using the stock 245 Konig XG-12 pro on the Model Y with 19" Geminis? The reason I ask is that I'm based downunder and Tesla NZ has not got the 252 chains in stock. However, I can get the 245s at my local auto store.

According to the Konig sizing guide the 245s should fit the Y. However, there must be a reason why Tesla have gone with a custom make. Does anyone know what the difference between the 245 and 252 is?

My experience with snow chains is that they invariably damage the wheels that they are mounted to. Furthermore the noise they generate is incredibly loud. You can't go much faster than about 20-30 mph with chains on anyway.

I would be inclined to get tires with the 3PMSF snow flake symbol (meaning they are rated for snow duty) or get something like the Michelin Cross Climate 2's, which have been proven to work relatively well in snow. If you're traversing major roadways (at least in California), the maintenance crews are usually pretty good about keeping the road clear. If it's an R3 restriction (meaning AWD/4WD with chains), I don't want to be on the road that day anyway.

Another alternative is to get AutoSocks: Auto Socks won't damage your wheels

My Subaru Ascent has Falken Wildpeak all terrains with the 3PMSF snow flake symbol. CalTrans just waves us through all the checkpoints. I suspect if you get similar tires, you will also get waved through with the MY.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
My experience with Auto Socks is that they can only be used for short distances, i.e. 1 or 2 miles at speeds up to 25 MPH. The Auto Socks can definitely help get you up a hill or get moving when stuck but you can't generally drive around with the Auto Socks, i.e. they are not like chains.

Last edited:
My experience with Auto Socks is that they can only be used for short distances, i.e. 1 or 2 miles at speeds up to 25 MPH. The Auto Socks can definitely help get you up a hill or get moving when stuck but you can't generally drive around with the Auto Socks, i.e. they are not like chains.
I agree. If you need that much traction, IMHO your best options are either:
1) have snow tires
2) tires rated with the 3PMSF snowflake
3) stay off the road until the weather clears a bit.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
I have chains for the MYP (on 19” Gemini’s)… but have yet to use them/need them.

But I also just purchased snow socks for the MYP - 19” Gemini wheels/tires just in case.

When I’m in a pinch while skiing on WA pass ski areas I’ll prefer to use the socks, but chains are also nice to keep for the super challenging situations.

Has anyone had any joy using the stock 245 Konig XG-12 pro on the Model Y with 19" Geminis? The reason I ask is that I'm based downunder and Tesla NZ has not got the 252 chains in stock. However, I can get the 245s at my local auto store.

According to the Konig sizing guide the 245s should fit the Y. However, there must be a reason why Tesla have gone with a custom make. Does anyone know what the difference between the 245 and 252 is?
Did you ever figure out if there was a difference btwn the 245 and 252?

After going through many threads here and seeing several people’s experience with the Konigs causing damage, I decided to try these Peerless chains, and they definitely fit the 20” induction wheels with stock Goodyear tires. They don’t seem like they will cause damage based on where they are sitting, but I also have Rim guard on them. Just an FYI.

Peerless 0231805 Auto-Trac Light Truck/SUV Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2 https://a.co/d/c72Bqyw

Attachments

• 095AD9A4-D04D-4665-948C-7D3310C8E7E4.jpeg
    095AD9A4-D04D-4665-948C-7D3310C8E7E4.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 156
After going through many threads here and seeing several people’s experience with the Konigs causing damage, I decided to try these Peerless chains, and they definitely fit the 20” induction wheels with stock Goodyear tires. They don’t seem like they will cause damage based on where they are sitting, but I also have Rim guard on them. Just an FYI.

Peerless 0231805 Auto-Trac Light Truck/SUV Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2 https://a.co/d/c72Bqyw
Have you had a chance to use these chains in the snow and can you verify they don't damage the rims? We've had Auto-Trac chains over the years for a number of our previous vehicles and I've always really liked them. Also, which rim guards are you using? Thanks!

Why are people so worried about hubcap rubbing/damage on the Gemini 19's? Worst case scenario you can pop a new hubcap on for $35, right? Am I missing something?
The factory tire sidewall is flush with the rim of the Gemini wheel. Having curbed a wheel I can say that the Gemini covers do help but the cover does not fully protect the edge of the rim. The edge the Gemini wheel was damaged even with the Gemini cover.

Reactions: woolymammoth17