Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Snow Chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sells Konig K Summit snow chains for MX rear tires: Model X Snow Chains Tesla has install video at: Snow Chain Installation
Chains not recommended on front tires perhaps because there is less than 1/2” space between tire and strut. On MY rear tires there is 3” of space between tire and shock/wheel well. It appears there’s plenty of space to install regular snow chains on rear tires such as Auto-Trac series with chains secured on outside and inside of tire. See Amazon for Peerless 0155005 Auto Trac tire traction chain for 255/45-19 tires. What do you folks think? Has anyone used real snow chains on MY or MX rear tires? Thank you!

• Helpful
Reactions: E_R_N
i have this issue too.. only used on model 3.. and still trying to figure out if I can use my Pewag RS77.. that fit the 19" Model 3 (235/40-19) . Looks "ok" but the PEWAG shows RS77 and includes 255/45-18... but there is no "recommendation" for R19. Comments?

i have this issue too.. only used on model 3.. and still trying to figure out if I can use my Pewag RS77.. that fit the 19" Model 3 (235/40-19) . Looks "ok" but the PEWAG shows RS77 and includes 255/45-18... but there is no "recommendation" for R19. Comments?
Model 3 tires are a lot smaller than the model Y ones (assuming standard tire sizes), so I would not expect any snow chain fitting a model 3 to work on a model Y.

I bought a pair of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H9GQ5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00

Don't really intend to use them, since I also got snow tires, but in California the law says you need to carry them even with AWD + snow tires. Mine are gemini wheels, so 255/45R19.

91n4OUhGd0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nope I haven’t, but agreed about the clearance concerns. These are supposed to be “S” class which should help, and with the 19” Geminis I’m more optimistic. I’m planning to test them soon as snow starts to fall.
I'd recommend you toss it on one rear tire now and use your phone to take photos of the entire inside and check all of the clearances. I think the wheel well clearance isn't a concern, just behind the wheel.

but in California the law says you need to carry them even with AWD + snow tires.

In my experience, AWD was all any checkpoint would ask for. In an extreme case, it was so cold that they required snow tires or chains, but we were lucky and had snow tires so we were waved through.

I didn't know (and I definitely don't think that it's enforced that) snow chains are required to be carried.

If the conditions require AWD, snow tires, AND chains... it's probably a really good idea not to go there.

Note that in CA you just need M&S tires (and AWD) for the level 2 restriction, there's no requirement for 'real' winter tires. Level 3 requires chains for all vehicles, but indeed it's better to stay home when that happens :)

I see, so there really isn't any "snow tire" requirement in CA, it's just those M&S ones you can get for Subarus (that's the only time I ever saw them) or you need to get chains.

I got to Yosemite once and it was Level 3, but it was really late at night, so there was no enforcement. I saw a toyota corolla cruise right into the park. The next morning, there were cars in ditches all over the place.

I got to Yosemite once and it was Level 3, but it was really late at night, so there was no enforcement. I saw a toyota corolla cruise right into the park. The next morning, there were cars in ditches all over the place.

Interesting! I am guessing temps probably went above and below freezing, causing ice to form on the roads. Studless snow tires won’t help there - chains would definitely be needed. I guess that’s less likely on eg the I-80 where they regularly salt the road. Pretty sure they don’t salt the roads in Yosemite

I didn't know (and I definitely don't think that it's enforced that) snow chains are required to be carried.

Yup, I should have linked the official regs: Chain Controls / Chain Installation | Caltrans

Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.

NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

A few years ago, I used Peweg for M3 for my trip to Tahoe. It ruined my aero rims and fender. Chain rubbed against the rim. The chain snapped and hit my fender and chipped paint. I was so mad. We never made to Tahoe. We had to turn around and drive back home. Please don't use it. Terrible product. Pure POS.

40F2AFCB-4C52-4305-837A-C2FAF8D51FC3_1_105_c.jpeg