Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Snow Chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried on chains to confirm fit. These are aftermarket Martian 20x8.5 wheels with 245-45-20 Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires so I went with the recommended chain size on Koenig website (250 XG-12Pro) which is same type on Tesla’s website but just different size. Relatively easy install and there seems to be plenty of clearance.
78857437-74A1-4276-98FE-1AAE1BDF97F2.jpeg

Reactions: jhams and masotime
I tried on chains to confirm fit. These are aftermarket Martian 20x8.5 wheels with 245-45-20 Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires so I went with the recommended chain size on Koenig website (250 XG-12Pro) which is same type on Tesla’s website but just different size. Relatively easy install and there seems to be plenty of clearance. View attachment 610507
nice. I ordered a pair of the official Tesla ones and got them in. I'll install it when I get a chance and take some photos.
Looking at yours it looks like the chains could rub on your wheels and scratch the heck out of them. What do you think?

nice. I ordered a pair of the official Tesla ones and got them in. I'll install it when I get a chance and take some photos.
Looking at yours it looks like the chains could rub on your wheels and scratch the heck out of them. What do you think?
Yeah, certainly possible. These aftermarket wheels are only 8.5 inches compared to the 9.5 OEM wheel which makes the wheel
a bit more recessed into the tire so that may help. I think for short distances at low speeds they should
be ok.

For those that are using chains.. are you running all season tires? I'm in Colorado and lost traction last week on a snowy back road.. could have easily done major damage to my Y. At that moment I decided I'm getting snow tires or chains. But the tires are $1450. I plan to hit the slopes at least a dozen times in winter so wondering if chains only during snowy conditions will be enough or at least reasonably close to snow tires

For those that are using chains.. are you running all season tires? I'm in Colorado and lost traction last week on a snowy back road.. could have easily done major damage to my Y. At that moment I decided I'm getting snow tires or chains. But the tires are $1450. I plan to hit the slopes at least a dozen times in winter so wondering if chains only during snowy conditions will be enough or at least reasonably close to snow tires

I'm really only keeping the chains because it's part of California requirements to have them in your vehicle even if you have AWD + snow tires. Otherwise it's so inconvenient to put them on and take them off that I'd prefer to avoid doing so unless in an absolute emergency.

Personally I went with the Continental VikingContact 7s and they've been working fine so far, but they seem to be out of stock at TireRack. You can probably get a set of Quatrac Pro's for around $820 (before taxes) - these are all seasons that are severe snow rated. If you have 20" wheels, they are the same price although they seem backordered. You'll also need to pay someone to change the tires unless you do it yourself. I got them changed for about $100 ($25/tire), although I had to purchase some Tesla Pucks in advance for the tire changers to use.

Last edited:
Purchased and installed SCC SuperZ6 SZ429 chains for the MYP (and yes I'm also lowered on UPP moderate 1" springs)... so when I complain about clearance - I understand - as all my cars are 1" drop to reduce wheel gap, but this thread is about snow chains for ModelY's

Purchased from Vulcan Tire. Total cost was about $110. As an avid skier of WA state, AWD will do alright, but well worth the extra 100 bucks to ensure I'm good for any weather. Once the stock Continental tires are dead, I'll choose a much more winter oriented tire for my winter setup.

Super Z6 SZ429
super Z6 SZ429.jpg

SAE clearance requirements. The SZ6 are super tight to the tires on all sides. Koenigs are good also, but at 4x the price and the SZ6 exceed the S class clearance, I could not justify the price.
SAE clearance requirements.jpg

Chains fit great, but my forearms are the limiting factor to hook the inner chain connection.
forearms.jpg

Chained up on stock 19" Gemini wheels w/ stock Continentals (for now).
chained.jpg
chained w flashlight.jpg
chained MYP.jpg

Hoping I never have to use them, but I'd prefer to spend the $110 insurance rate now, than the thousands of dollars when I head off the road as yet another AWD casualty. My other vehicles are FWD w/ studless snows and I always carry chains.

I picked up the Konig chains from Telsa, they arrived just in time for a trip to the mountains this weekend....boy was I happy to have them on the Coquihalla summit pass...the all factory continental all seasons were no match for the slush on ice at the bottom of the pass, and the blizzard conditions at the pass. Chained up and drove 56kms on the chains...no issues, relentless grip and confidence inspiring.

Purchased and installed SCC SuperZ6 SZ429 chains for the MYP.

Two questions I'm hoping you can answer.

1. Why the SCC SuperZ6 instead of the SCC Z-Chain? I think it is the right call, but would like to hear your thoughts.

2. You mention getting the SZ429. But the sizing chart for the SCC SuperZ6 on Amazon suggests for the 255/45 R19 tires that come on the MY Gemini 19", the right size is the SZ143. Thoughts?

Thanks,
David

Two questions I'm hoping you can answer.

1. Why the SCC SuperZ6 instead of the SCC Z-Chain? I think it is the right call, but would like to hear your thoughts.

2. You mention getting the SZ429. But the sizing chart for the SCC SuperZ6 on Amazon suggests for the 255/45 R19 tires that come on the MY Gemini 19", the right size is the SZ143. Thoughts?

Thanks,
David

1) I chose the SuperZ6 because of the absolute lowest clearance inside the wheel well or another way to think of it is that I need the chains to hug the tires as close as possible... To me it's always best to keep chains from flopping and because I'm using the UPP 1" moderate springs, I already have a reduced wheel well gap (my forearms have a very difficult time reaching the inner tire when latching the chains)

2) I did not use Amazon. I usually do, however when looking for the exact fit of chains - I will go to a chain retailer, not Amazon. I chose Vulcan Tire (warehouse in Oregon) as their website specs out many more options that big box Amazon who will offer you chains that will fit/work - but not the exact specs that I'm looking for with already reduced clearance/tolerances.

IIRC, SZ429 and SZ143 are the same chains... just different models? - someone help me on that one.

michael.

Reactions: Blueboy
1) I chose the SuperZ6 because of the absolute lowest clearance inside the wheel well
2) I did not use Amazon. I usually do, however when looking for the exact fit of chains - I will go to a chain retailer, not Amazon. I chose Vulcan Tire (warehouse in Oregon) as their website specs out many more options that big box Amazon who will offer you chains that will fit/work - but not the exact specs that I'm looking for with already reduced clearance/tolerances.

IIRC, SZ429 and SZ143 are the same chains... just different models? - someone help me on that one.

michael.

Michael - Thanks for the good info. I'm sold, I'm getting the SuperZ6.

They also look like they would be less likely to scratch the wheel covers than a full metal set of chains, like the Tesla Konig chains.

Note, it is not just Amazon. The Security Chain Company / Peerless web site has a chain finder that suggests the SZ143 size for 255/45-19 tires.
Snow Chains for Tires, Best Tire Chains, Truck Tire Chains

Many thanks for your recommendation.
David

Last edited:
Reactions: 52 16 57 39
The Security Chain Company / Peerless web site has a chain finder that suggests the SZ143 size for 255/45-19 tires.
Snow Chains for Tires, Best Tire Chains, Truck Tire Chains
AAARRGGHH. I got the recommend SZ143 size of the SCC Super Z6 chains and they are too small to get onto my tires. There are three places to clip together the cables and for the last one, the ends are just too far apart.

I should likely get the size Michael above got, the SZ429. Those look to be just a tad larger, and Michael was successful in putting them on.

Wanted to share that you should be very careful installing chains. I bought the ones from the Tesla store specially for MY and had to use them this past weekend. Both my back rims were damaged. :(View attachment 634071

Sorry to hear about that damage. Big bummer.

Tesla does mention on the page describing the chains:

"Tesla recommends removing the Aero covers on 19” Gemini Wheels before installing snow chains to prevent potential scratches and scuffs."

I should likely get the size Michael above got, the SZ429. Those look to be just a tad larger, and Michael was successful in putting them on.

Yes I got the SZ429, however I cannot confirm they are bigger than SZ143... and my SZ429’s are super tight... my initial thought was they were one or two links too small. It took me a solid 10 minutes get my bearings, then try again and again - and I got my SZ429’s to fit properly.

The test fit was in my garage. When I need to install chains on the side of the road, in the snow, in the dark, uphill both ways - I know I’ve got my work cut out for me.