Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Snow Chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to share that you should be very careful installing chains. I bought the ones from the Tesla store specially for MY and had to use them this past weekend. Both my back rims were damaged. :(View attachment 634071

Thanks for posting your experience, I purchased these specifically to drive up to Big Bear every once in awhile and would have been quite upset with damage like this. Luckily I was able to return them to Tesla albeit with a restocking fee. Were you thinking about trying something else? I see they have the Auto Socks that fit our wheel size, I’m going to buy a pair and use those if it is required driving up to the mountains instead.

Hoping for some snow in the next couple of months and thinking about snow chains for my MY with 20” inductions. Reading through this thread, sounds like the chains that Tesla sells will damage the wheels. Anyone have a brand/model they recommend for Induction wheels? I saw 2 chains mentioned, SCC SuperZ6 SZ429 and the Super Z chain Z-563. But wasnt sure if those were chains for Gemini wheels. Hoping that we won’t need them with the AWD, but now would be a good time to get them. Thanks!

Has anyone tried spike-spiders? It is an alternative to snow chains that attaches to your lug nuts. It does not extend to the back side of the tire, so clearance there isn’t an issue. I’ve used them with previous cars I’ve owned and I prefer them to chains. They are fast and easy to install and provide great traction on ice and snow, but they are expensive. Spikes-Spider: Easier, Better than Tire Chains - Winter Driving

Wow! I like those spider spikes - but that price is rich! Over $600!?

I paid about 100-120 for my chains mentioned earlier in this thread. I will probably never need to use my chains, so it’s cheap insurance. If you use your chains regularly then I totally understand the spider spikes.

Wow! I like those spider spikes - but that price is rich! Over $600!?

I paid about 100-120 for my chains mentioned earlier in this thread. I will probably never need to use my chains, so it’s cheap insurance. If you use your chains regularly then I totally understand the spider spikes.
I happened to have a pair of the same Super z6 SZ429s from my wife’s Lexus, so I tried them on my MY with 20” inductions. The results are shown- I am worried about the metal clips near the end of the wheel. What do you think?

346049F3-A427-4BD8-8D81-B05C640AFEF6.jpeg

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
So just wanted to circle back on this. I live in an apartment where garage space is limited so I had to wait until I drove out to a motel with a larger, emptier parking lot to play with. My chance came today as I was parked at Buck Meadows, near the entrance of Yosemite. I had good reason to try them on, since it was snowing a fair bit in the park.

Quick note to others - I tried installing them on the front, and realized quickly that there was ... I think a suspension arm? that made the clearance so small that I dared not even try driving after putting them on:

View attachment 606476 View attachment 606478

As you can see, the clearance is extremely tight and will almost certainly cause damage.

I switched to the rear wheel, and there's definitely plenty of clearance:
View attachment 606479

I drove around slowly for a bit to try and reduce the slack, and ended up with requiring about 6-7 notches on this particular tire chain before it seemed secure enough:

View attachment 606480

Since the wheel well is so dark I took my Panasonic G9 and did some photo editing to try and highlight the clearance:

View attachment 606486

Overall I think this safe to use, tested at about 25mph.
Thanks for this. I can't find your OP saying what chain model this is. Could you say, please? What Tesla is selling now for MY 19" is König XG-12 Pro 252. It may have been a model made just for Tesla because I can't find it on any review sites (at least not in English), and seems to be for sale only one place other than Tesla's site. (And wow, I don't think I've ever paid over $100 for chains.)

YIKEs. I didnt read this thread and I got the same chains. I have the same wheels/tires and need to go to Big bear next week.

1. Does anyone have luck with these on 20" induction wheels or can we expect that they will destroy the rim?
2. Is there a solution for this aside from getting winter wheels?

Wanted to share that you should be very careful installing chains. I bought the ones from the Tesla store specially for MY and had to use them this past weekend. Both my back rims were damaged. :(View attachment 634071

AAARRGGHH. I got the recommend SZ143 size of the SCC Super Z6 chains and they are too small to get onto my tires. There are three places to clip together the cables and for the last one, the ends are just too far apart.

I should likely get the size Michael above got, the SZ429. Those look to be just a tad larger, and Michael was successful in putting them on.
Were you able to get it to fit? I'm looking to pick up the Z143 for my 19" Gemini as well.

YIKEs. I didnt read this thread and I got the same chains. I have the same wheels/tires and need to go to Big bear next week.

1. Does anyone have luck with these on 20" induction wheels or can we expect that they will destroy the rim?
2. Is there a solution for this aside from getting winter wheels?

FYI I could not get the Security Chain Z-563 to fit on my stock 20” inductions. Did it work for anyone else?

Their size chart says they should fit size 255/40-20 which is what these are, but the chains are just too small.

I am also concerned about potential rim damage from the Konigs, and really anything with metal parts along the rims. Those black rims are very sensitive to damage / show it easily. I wonder if tightening them properly to remove slack will avoid this but I’d hate to worry about it.

Another fun fact: Tesla store has a feature that tells you if equipment matches your car if you’re logged in. It says the Konigs don’t match mine, even though the description says they are for 20” model y wheels (i.e. inductions).

I can confirm that the Z143 fit on the 19" - 255/45/R19s. The clips are awfully close to the rims and I really hope I don't ever have to use these because I'm sure they'll scratch the rims - plan to just point to them in the bag to get past the chain checkpoints.
20211221_175946.jpg

Attachments

• 20211221_180558.jpg
    20211221_180558.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Helpful
Reactions: abasile
I can confirm that the Z143 fit on the 19" - 255/45/R19s. The clips are awfully close to the rims and I really hope I don't ever have to use these because I'm sure they'll scratch the rims - plan to just point to them in the bag to get past the chain checkpoints.View attachment 746877
Wow I just tried to put mine on last night on my Geminis and I failed. It wasn't even close. I guess I'll try again.

Wow I just tried to put mine on last night on my Geminis and I failed. It wasn't even close. I guess I'll try again.
I was much more difficult than I had expected. At first I thought they were way too small but if you really pull them toward you from the back, you'll find you can get them on. Lay them under the tire as directed, clip them together at the top behind the wheel and then really try to pull all of that toward you. I'm not sure why other photos show the clips so far from the rims, mine are basically sitting on the edge of the rim. Additionally, the gold and black clip that are attached to the blue cable are very likely to scratch the spokes as they sit right on them.

• Helpful
Reactions: abasile
I was much more difficult than I had expected. At first I thought they were way too small but if you really pull them toward you from the back, you'll find you can get them on. Lay them under the tire as directed, clip them together at the top behind the wheel and then really try to pull all of that toward you. I'm not sure why other photos show the clips so far from the rims, mine are basically sitting on the edge of the rim. Additionally, the gold and black clip that are attached to the blue cable are very likely to scratch the spokes as they sit right on them.
Like Yoliber, I tried the SZ143 and it wouldn't fit. When I looked in the back, the blue cable is touching the brake lines. No matter how hard I pull and move things around, it won't budge. By the way, I also tried the SZ429 before this and same difficulty. I bought the SZ429 first and exchanged to SZ143 and I got the same results. I have the original Gemini 255/45-19 too on my MYLR. I guess I will keep trying and be patient about it because looks like you got yours to fit. If you don't mind, would you be able to take a picture of the backside of your tires with the chain on and post it here so we can use it as reference. I would really appreciate that.

I tried the Z143 on 19" gemini's and they were not close to fitting. I struggled with them for two hours before giving up. I suspect that I either received the wrong product, or quality control in China is lax. I ended up ordering the Koenigs from Tesla.com. Even if I got these to fit, they are just about guaranteed to wreck the rims.

@norwei
I’m wondering if the more expensive Köenigs or spider spikes are a better option for ease of install/removal.

I’ll hopefully never need mine - so mine are $100 insurance policy…
I will bite the bullet and get the Koenigs from Tesla when it becomes available. It is out of stock again. I got the notification early this week that it was back in stock but I ignored it because I got these SZs.

Like Yoliber, I tried the SZ143 and it wouldn't fit. When I looked in the back, the blue cable is touching the brake lines. No matter how hard I pull and move things around, it won't budge. By the way, I also tried the SZ429 before this and same difficulty. I bought the SZ429 first and exchanged to SZ143 and I got the same results. I have the original Gemini 255/45-19 too on my MYLR. I guess I will keep trying and be patient about it because looks like you got yours to fit. If you don't mind, would you be able to take a picture of the backside of your tires with the chain on and post it here so we can use it as reference. I would really appreciate that.
The blue wire shouldn't be in the back. The blue wire goes on the outside. The wire on the back part of the chain is silver