Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Snow Tires Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several Canadian retailers said their suppliers don't expect to have the X-Ice Snow available this winter (ETA ~ Feb 2021)
Costco, Canadian Tire and others have the X-Ice Snow in stock in other sizes but not the 255/45-19 that we need for the Gemini rims.
Canadian Tire lists the size but shows none in stock at local stores (GTA). Hopefully this is a tempoary situation.

You can tell the car that the rim size has changed, but that has nothing to do with activating and programming the TPMS sensors in the rims, which is a problem for all modern cars (Audi used to use ABS system instead which didn't require TPMS). If you only change the rubber, and the rim is the one you used in summer, you don't need to program the TPMS, but you need to professionally mount/balance the new tire on the rim.

Was looking for this - just to clarify and confirm, if I buy winter tires of the same specifications as my model Y - mine are the Geminis 255/45R19 - then I can bring it to any tire shop and just swap tires? I don’t need to reprogram the TPMS?

My previous car was a Prius, and I’ve only ever swapped the tires at a local tire shop which seemed simple enough (and cheap at only $15/tire) - the TPMS thing is completely new to me, and I’m hoping to avoid it as it seems very specialized / costly.

The winter tires are already more expensive than I expected compared to the cheap General Arctic Altimax ones I got for my old 195/65R15s on my Prius.

I tried to avoid the TPMS at first also, but the thing is, especially in winter, it's valuable when it gets cold and tire pressure drops. On most modern cars that have the sensors, many shops won't even install the tires without them. I had the old Altimax Arctics too, but compared to the Nokians I got afterward, the Generals are much worse, even with studs. What I've heard, but can't yet verify, is that the TPMS sensors may not work at first, but will eventually register with the car via bluetooth. Someone with more experience can hopefully clarify. Since I'll have both aftermarket summer and winter wheels, (20 + 19), hoping I can change the wheel settings on the computer. Previously, I've understood that I have to call the service center to have it done remotely.

Was looking for this - just to clarify and confirm, if I buy winter tires of the same specifications as my model Y - mine are the Geminis 255/45R19 - then I can bring it to any tire shop and just swap tires? I don’t need to reprogram the TPMS?

My previous car was a Prius, and I’ve only ever swapped the tires at a local tire shop which seemed simple enough (and cheap at only $15/tire) - the TPMS thing is completely new to me, and I’m hoping to avoid it as it seems very specialized / costly.

The winter tires are already more expensive than I expected compared to the cheap General Arctic Altimax ones I got for my old 195/65R15s on my Prius.
Correct, if the TPMS devices are unchanged from before (in your case the stock ones you currently use). The tire size is unrelated. The TPMS is actually a small radio type device that holds the valve stem in each rim, and broadcasts a signal which your car can receive and accept, as the car is programmed to look for the same code. So, if you don't remove that device from the rim (or use a whole new rim w/ a different TPMS), you do not need to program the car to accept a different TPMS code.

That being said, be picky about who does the tire swap as they need to know how to properly lift a Tesla without damaging the battery. I just go to Tesla to do it.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Talked with a service tech today who was surprised to learn that Y owners can't (currently) select their own wheel size on the MFD when swapping out for winter wheels, like their other cars. We shared a hopeful opinion that this should be coming via an update. Otherwise calling for service twice a year to push a computer change on wheel sizes is pretty inefficient, especially if they charge for it.

Talked with a service tech today who was surprised to learn that Y owners can't (currently) select their own wheel size on the MFD when swapping out for winter wheels, like their other cars. We shared a hopeful opinion that this should be coming via an update. Otherwise calling for service twice a year to push a computer change on wheel sizes is pretty inefficient, especially if they charge for it.
It's already enabled in the latest software (36.3).

Thanks @Nakk. I've never heard of this brand. There's only a few customer reviews so far on Tirerack, but it looks like they are all overwhelmingly positive.
I've never run this brand either, but this tire and their Quatrac Pro tire get incredible reviews both from profesional tests and users. I'm going to try this Wintrac Pro on my Y for my winter tire.

The Vredestein Quatrac Pro--an all season performance tire--was tested by Tire Rack and CR both and it does amazingly well. It even does well in the snow apparently. I'd run it on my Y, but for two things. First, the 255/45-19 shows on their website but isn't available anywhere; I don't think they've actually shipped it yet. Second, it does only "Fair" for rolling resistance, although that's typical of performance tires. At least it's quiet and comfortable, unlike the similar Michelin tires. I'm going with the Bridgestone Quiettrack for my summer tires. "Very Good" rolling resistance and pretty much kills performance except in the wet. We'll see how they do. Hopefully my Martian wheels will get here next week and I can give them a go.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung

One of the tire stores is telling me that I need a staggered 19" setup for my Model Y Perf. I haven't seen that anywhere else. Has anyone come across this?
Total BS. You would want to run staggered only if you ran 21”. If you go 19 its 255-45-19, or 20’s at 255-40-20. All the model y’s are identical, only the 21’s are staggered. When you install and reboot the car with the 19’s or 20’s selected the car will be set up for the non stagerred size.
Go to SC or a different shop.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Total BS. You would want to run staggered only if you ran 21”. If you go 19 its 255-45-19, or 20’s at 255-40-20. All the model y’s are identical, only the 21’s are staggered. When you install and reboot the car with the 19’s or 20’s selected the car will be set up for the non stagerred size.
Go to SC or a different shop.

Would you know if 255/50/19 fit the wheel wells?

I know 245/45/20 fits, but what about 255/45/20?

Thank you, in advance.

Would you know if 255/50/19 fit the wheel wells?

I know 245/45/20 fits, but what about 255/45/20?

Thank you, in advance.
I’m not sure I get the question.
255 is the standard width on all of them.
Long range gemini: 255-45-19
Long range induction: 255-40-20
Performance with pup: 255-35-21(front)
275-35-21 (rear). I confirmed the perf sizes today on my car, i was sure the rear is 30 but they are not, they are 35.

so your question, i wouldn’t go with 255-50-19, maybe it fits, maybe it rubs, I don’t see the reason to go oversized and throw off your speedometer.
Again not sure why you would want to use the 245-45-20 pr 255-45-20 unless you are using spare tires you have from another vehicle.
Going with a 20” correct diameter of 255-40-20, thats 28.03” wheel diameter.
For with your proposed 255-45-20 gives you a 29.03” wheel diameter, that will throw off your speedo for sure, I don’t see what the purpose of this would be, but maybe you have a good one.
The 255-45-19 gives exact same 28.03” wheel diameter.

the vehicle knows which wheels it has, I didn’t read the software to how involved it is when you put on dofferent wheels, but when I put winters on, I will chenge settings in software ap the car knows that 20” whees are on. The car reboots once you tell it you are on different size wheels.

I hope I answer the question, stick with spec’d size.

check this link out for exact info, especially if you look at wheels too, the offset and width of rim leaves very few wheel options that will fot nicely. Maybe 10-15, not 100’s,
The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide. Complete Tesla Model Y Wheel Specs. - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

I’m not sure I get the question.
255 is the standard width on all of them.
Long range gemini: 255-45-19
Long range induction: 255-40-20
Performance with pup: 255-35-21(front)
275-35-21 (rear). I confirmed the perf sizes today on my car, i was sure the rear is 30 but they are not, they are 35.

so your question, i wouldn’t go with 255-50-19, maybe it fits, maybe it rubs, I don’t see the reason to go oversized and throw off your speedometer.
Again not sure why you would want to use the 245-45-20 pr 255-45-20 unless you are using spare tires you have from another vehicle.
Going with a 20” correct diameter of 255-40-20, thats 28.03” wheel diameter.
For with your proposed 255-45-20 gives you a 29.03” wheel diameter, that will throw off your speedo for sure, I don’t see what the purpose of this would be, but maybe you have a good one.
The 255-45-19 gives exact same 28.03” wheel diameter.

the vehicle knows which wheels it has, I didn’t read the software to how involved it is when you put on dofferent wheels, but when I put winters on, I will chenge settings in software ap the car knows that 20” whees are on. The car reboots once you tell it you are on different size wheels.

I hope I answer the question, stick with spec’d size.

check this link out for exact info, especially if you look at wheels too, the offset and width of rim leaves very few wheel options that will fot nicely. Maybe 10-15, not 100’s,
The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide. Complete Tesla Model Y Wheel Specs. - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

Thanks for sending the link over. Only reason for me to go with 255/50/19 is due to tire availability. I'm considering a Nokain all-weather tire that does not come in 255/45/19 but does come in 255/50/19.

Or I can "upsize" and go with 245/45/20 which local tire shop says will fit.