Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Snow Tires Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing some research about snow tires for the Model Y. Thinking to stick with OEM 19" size (i.e. 255/45R19 104).

Any recommendations? Thanks!!

I am wondering does the new 2020 Michelin X-Ice Snow series carry the OEM size or not.

Michelin X-Ice Snow Tire :: Michelin North America, Inc.

I got these.

Winter Sottozero 3
255 /45 R19 104V XL BSW
6E8A1595-1158-46BA-9E9F-EFD39CD5325B.jpeg
A5F4598C-021E-4527-B721-4BD44663A2B8.jpeg

Hakka’s are overkill unless you are in Alaska haha.
Or the northeast. They are the only winter tires for us here in Jersey.

That said, for the first time in our lives we are thinking no winter wheels. I drove my AWD model S in the snow this year (January) and was shocked at how well it did. After advice from a professional race car driver, I didn’t “upgrade” to larger rims, smaller sidewalls, and summer tires on either car. It’s nice not to have scream obscenities (literally) over every bump. So we are going to try the stock tires on both the 3 and the Y this year and see how we do.

Or the northeast. They are the only winter tires for us here in Jersey.

That said, for the first time in our lives we are thinking no winter wheels. I drove my AWD model S in the snow this year (January) and was shocked at how well it did. After advice from a professional race car driver, I didn’t “upgrade” to larger rims, smaller sidewalls, and summer tires on either car. It’s nice not to have scream obscenities (literally) over every bump. So we are going to try the stock tires on both the 3 and the Y this year and see how we do.
To be fair, Jersey gets as much or less snow than NY. I also lived in Boston for 7 years, and go to New Hampshire most winters. Hakkas are overkill as the roads aren't wet most of the winter and you lose out on dry performance, with basically the same snow capability as Michelin, Blizzaks, etc.

I just ordered Michelin X-ICE Snow (new model), which replaced the Xi3 from TireRack. Tire bloggers preferred it over the Hakka R3.

PS, $120 Michelin gift card rebate thing being offered, ends today at TireRack.

Reactions: thisisdiddy
What does the community recommend ?

1. Having 2 sets of wheels and tires. one for winter and one for summer.

VS

2. One set of wheels and changing tires from summer to winter ?

My concern with changing tires from summer to winter (on same wheel set) is that the weights to balance the tire/wheel would likley need to be removed and added for each tire change. Is this a problem? most tire weights these days are the stick on adhesive type and I would think that over time there will be adhesive accumulation (if not properly removed) and perhaps a chance that there will be less adhesive grip for the weights? Is there possible damage to the wheel if the adhesive is scraped off or an adhesive remover is used?

Two sets is the way to go if you have the $.
The other option I used on my Acura RDX was the Nokian WR G4 which is mileage rated and snow rated year round tire. Not the best summer or winter, but close and you do not have to swap anything.

I'm also deciding between the Nokian Hakkas or the Michelin X-ice (I heard the new ones that are compatible with the 19 inch won't be available until later this winter in Canada), so it's a matter of waiting for the X-ice or just get the Hakkas.

What does the community recommend ?

1. Having 2 sets of wheels and tires. one for winter and one for summer.

VS

2. One set of wheels and changing tires from summer to winter ?

My concern with changing tires from summer to winter (on same wheel set) is that the weights to balance the tire/wheel would likley need to be removed and added for each tire change. Is this a problem? most tire weights these days are the stick on adhesive type and I would think that over time there will be adhesive accumulation (if not properly removed) and perhaps a chance that there will be less adhesive grip for the weights? Is there possible damage to the wheel if the adhesive is scraped off or an adhesive remover is used?
I have done both.

For the Teslas, I just switch the rubber seasonally at the Tesla Service Center.

For my Subarus I would buy a smaller set of rims and snow tires, then change them myself. Then use software/hardware to update the TPMS sensor codes.

You have to weigh the cost and convenience.

Buy new rims (or use stock, and then buy summer rims)
Buy new tires (and buy new summer tires for the other set, unless using the stock All-Seasons)
Buy new TPMS sensors
Pay for the rims/tires/TPMS to be mounted/balanced if not bought together.
Buy TPMS sensor Programming Tool
Buy Pucks, etc to safely lift the car
Buy jack, iron and possibly sockets
Spend time on the floor doing the work
  • TPMS sensors are about $200 for a set, rims are $400+ (unless using stock, then you spent $ on new summer rims), the sensor tool is $100+, etc etc.

Or

Buy new tires
Pay for someone to mount/balance and program TPMS codes
  • Tesla charges about $200 each time to switch. Which is high, I'll admit.

Last edited:
Nokian R3 SUV is also a relatively good deal right now at Discount Tire (255.45.19). Per their website at least, has one notch higher tread life, 1 lb lighter, and has the double aramid side walls vs. the mere mortal regular car version. Built with green tech, EVs and rolling resistance in mind. Have had great results with at least 5 sets of their forebears on previous cars, including the last version (R2) on our Bolt, Q7, and A4.

Not having had a TSLA before, other than the computer sensing it over time, is there any adjustment to be made in the computer for winter tires? Even calling the service center for the different size wheels each time winter rubber is swapped seems a bit of an unnecessary step, if it could be selected onboard.

Reactions: Krash
Nokian R3 SUV is also a relatively good deal right now at Discount Tire (255.45.19). Per their website at least, has one notch higher tread life, 1 lb lighter, and has the double aramid side walls vs. the mere mortal regular car version. Built with green tech, EVs and rolling resistance in mind. Have had great results with at least 5 sets of their forebears on previous cars, including the last version (R2) on our Bolt, Q7, and A4.

Not having had a TSLA before, other than the computer sensing it over time, is there any adjustment to be made in the computer for winter tires? Even calling the service center for the different size wheels each time winter rubber is swapped seems a bit of an unnecessary step, if it could be selected onboard.
You can tell the car that the rim size has changed, but that has nothing to do with activating and programming the TPMS sensors in the rims, which is a problem for all modern cars (Audi used to use ABS system instead which didn't require TPMS). If you only change the rubber, and the rim is the one you used in summer, you don't need to program the TPMS, but you need to professionally mount/balance the new tire on the rim.

Reactions: preilly44