Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Spare Tire problem solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To actively disagree and say it's dumb to secure cargo "because everyone does it" is laughable. But you do you. Never said otherwise.
*and you can disagree and feel it's fine to not be concerned. Absolutely your choice. The topic should be weighed, so that people can make that choice.
Back to you. First, I don’t believe you did that 4 wheeling in your MY so it’s not relevant. I used to too. Second how do YOU secure large items in you ModelY? Don’t spout safety issues, just answer the specific question. Or quit knocking those who can’t figure it out. And try to stay off your soapbox while answering, you’re not the only one who likes to do thinks safely, I have a long history in the aviation industry. Not reckless.

I just picked up a used Tesla Model 3 18x8.5 wheel and a used Michelin All Season tire from my local tire shop to keep on hand for a spare tire. Cost me $140 out the door with mounting and balancing (no TPMS). I have AAA so I my just keep it in my garage when I am daily driving. If and when I go for an extended trip from home I will toss it in the hatch with the TESLA Tote bag I ordered. I just need to find a way to secure it so it will become potential hazard if I were to get into an accident. Hopefully I will never need it but it is good insurance to have on hand. I just took a 250 mile round trip beach trip. Knowing that I had a spare tire along with my flat kit and air pump gave me so much peace of mind. I up sized my 21' tires to 265/40 front & 295/40 rear. The spare I am running is 235/60r18 which is approximately 29.1" diameter which closely matches my fronts. I contemplated going with the "Modern Spare" kit but it would have only given me a 27.7” Rolling Diameter and they want $499.99 for it!
Total cost:
Tesla Model 3 wheel ($100) & Used Michelin Tire ($40) =$140
TESLA Tire Tote =$35
Don't forget the jack puck and low profile jack plus torque wrench and correct size lug-nut socket 😀
Not that you would🤔
How much wider than the modern spare is your wheel's tire! ( tyre).

They're amazingly large when you try to stuff them somewhere. It'll fit if you use the sub trunk in the rear... but then it's awkward since it's out in the middle of the trunk.

Would be amazing if Tesla could have designed the front to fit a full size spare (19") laying down in the frunk. You could still use it as a weird circular space when empty, or know you have a spare when needed. But it probably would have been tricky based on space... and honestly I think everyone is just banking on ride side service. A lot of other new cars (not even EVs) just don't ship with a spare any more.
Back in the days when the car came with a spare, it was a skinny or space saver wheel which is all we needed. It would be marvellous if Tesla provided such a spare and a space to accommodate it. Although thinner than the stock wheels, the Modern Spare et al are still quite substantial. I would not want to pack a stock wheel and tyre, it would inhibit SWMBO's packing of the kitchen sink for road trips.

Last edited:
The backs of the rear seats have 3 small steel bars meant to attach safety straps from child car seats. I use these as anchors to secure my Modern spare which sits on the trunk floor. When I need the trunk space, I place the spare on the parcel shelf and use the same anchor points. In any event, as mentioned, there is not sufficient space for the spare to fit between the rear headrests.

The backs of the rear seats have 3 small steel bars meant to attach safety straps from child car seats. I use these as anchors to secure my Modern spare which sits on the trunk floor. When I need the trunk space, I place the spare on the parcel shelf and use the same anchor points. In any event, as mentioned, there is not sufficient space for the spare to fit between the rear headrests.
Wow! The parcel shelf takes the weight of a spare wheel!? A MY parcel shelf?

• Funny
Reactions: Noflash
Reading this thread, good information here. I'm thinking about how to manage the spare situation.
Some YouTube videos show people cutting up the trunk area to securely place the spare under the trunk floor cover,
but I'm not ready to go there yet.

Maybe just remove the whole carpet cover and store it in your garage until you plan to plan to sell your car, in a pristine condition.
And use one of those aftermarlet covers to make your trunk looking good, but underneath you will have you spare tire hidden and safely bolted.

Note: I have a Model 3, so maybe a little bit different, however by removing the whole trunk cover,
I was able to get an addtional six inch of clearance, allowing me to install my spare tire without loosing any trunk space.