Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Spare Tire problem solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested out the electric scissor jack with a puck using the car attachment. It was a tight fit when sliding the jack under the puck but it worked flawlessly when I powered it up and jacked it up high enough to do a tire change. I placed my spare into the TESLA Tire Tote and secured it with a couple of bungee cords.
Question, did you try sliding it under with an actual flat? seems to me it will drop it further than with an inflated tire.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
My solution: Vredestein SpaceMaster spare from a Maserati Levante. Correct load capacity, diameter, bolt pattern. Lives in the rear well with a Pittsburgh shop jack, breaker bar. MInimal space lost.

1665932359644.png

1665932324411.png

Last edited:
I did about the same with a Maserati Levanti Vredestein Space master wheel/tire.
First I got a replacement floor panel from the junkyard than peeled back the cloth and made the opening. got the carpet nicely put back true the now made opening
I did get a hub centric filler ring installed on the spare wheel as the wheel has a center hole of 67.1mm and the hub is 64.1mm

IMG_9989.jpeg

IMG_9990.jpeg

IMG_9991.jpeg

Looks similar to mine. Now, we both need to find a way to secure the spare. I need to find a Tesla shop that knows the structure behind the bumper to create a mounting system of some sort.

Attachments

• vredestein6.jpg
    vredestein6.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 56
Yup. I just carry a tire repair kit. If it’s beyond that, I’ll wait for a tow. In the decades of driving, I’ve had a flat twice. And both times could be repaired with a plug. A full spare is a lot of lugging around for something so infrequent.
This horse has been beaten to death, but I'll continue flogging it...

Waiting for a tow in many rural regions could take many hours. Texas heat? Too risky.

A spare has saved us a few times, and I like having one because flats never happen in convenient places or times.

- On my way to work, before dawn, on a private road, had a sidewall blow out in a car that didn't come with a spare. Would have been more than an hour just to get a tow out, then another couple hours waiting on the repair. Threw on the aftermarket spare I'd bought in about 5 minutes, got to work on time. Dropped off the tire over lunch to get it fixed, picked it up after work.

- Wife herniated a tire one day. Again, putting the spare got her home.

- Had a nail in the tire on a trip to Orlando. Discovered it in the driveway of our Airbnb early on a Saturday morning. The spare got me to wally world to get a plug kit and back in time to fix, air up, and reinstall the tire before my wife had to be at her 0830 event.

- Similar thing happened at home, when wife was out somewhere. Was able to go out and get it fixed before she got home,

I also use the spare while rotating tires, since I don't like leaving a car up on jackstands (driveway has a bit of slope to it). Jack, remove first tire, install spare, downjack. Work around the car removing and installing one tire at at a time. Come back to where the spare is, jack up, remove spare, install last normal tire, downjack. Put spare away.

Plus, I just can't stand having to wait for someone to do something that I could do myself. For example, I have a whole pile of tools at home (and some leftover parts). Wife doesn't understand why I don't "just" call someone; I can generally knock out most home repairs (plumbing, electrical, etc) myself, including the trip to Lowe's a couple miles away, before the contractor would even show up. Having a spare means a lot more confidence that I won't get stranded somewhere out in the country or early morning, waiting hours for a tow truck. I've had to wait for a tow twice due to the car just being totally undriveable and it's a terrible feeling.

gtae07: Excellent post, except my marriage counselor would question something:

You: "...had a sidewall blow out"...and "...had a nail in the tire..."

Wife: "...herniated a tire..."

So, she CAUSED her tire issue, but your tire issues were purely circumstantial?

Discuss... 🤪 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: gtae07
These spare tire threads are great but no thought on securing the spare tire and jack in the vehicle.
All the effort on superficial covers (which is important) yet everything is loose inside. These things need to be secured.

We are talking about mitigating danger and risk. A loose tire and jack is just trading one failsafe for another... and the risk of launching unsecured objects inside a vehicle is greater than the risk of flatting out.

This is a not often discussed but very real danger and having an unsecured tire and jack increases your chances of serious injury and worse.

Lightly tossing a jack into someone's head is going to be serious. You would never do it. That jack, or tire, will keep travelling at 30-60mph (or whatever speed you're going) if your car slams to a stop.
There is good reason spares are bolted to the floor and jacks are locked into metal brackets, all underneath a cover or underneath the vehicle.

I just really emplore you to secure all these objects, even if it's ugly. Figure out a clean way later but secure it now.
Not to the seat back,
not to grocery bag hooks or trim panels,
loose under a cargo floor is not secured
If it's not going to hold you down, it won't hold a tire down.
Remember, a collision can turn a 200g mobile phone into a missle.

secure to metal using rated straps or retention that is capable of holding 100s of lbs.
bungee cord isn't it
friction straps aren't it

**I'm off the soap box**