Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Speaker Placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Model 3 AWD and Model Y AWD both share premium audio - 14 Speakers, 1 Subwoofer, 2 Amps, and immersive sound. However, since the Model Y has a hatchback style, where would the additional speakers that normally are behind the headrests in the Model 3 rear seating area go? As well, would the subwoofer be effected for the better or worse in terms of bass due to the open design in the back? Hopefully, the audio is better or has more watts to compensate for the larger design of the vehicle taking into consideration the massive glass roof.

Side note, I see that the Model Y has a location-aware automatic garage remote standard with a premium package :)

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
The Tesla Model 3 AWD and Model Y AWD both share premium audio - 14 Speakers, 1 Subwoofer, 2 Amps, and immersive sound. However, since the Model Y has a hatchback style, where would the additional speakers that normally are behind the headrests in the Model 3 rear seating area go? As well, would the subwoofer be effected for the better or worse in terms of bass due to the open design in the back? Hopefully, the audio is better or has more watts to compensate for the larger design of the vehicle taking into consideration the massive glass roof.

Side note, I see that the Model Y has a location-aware automatic garage remote standard with a premium package :)
I guess, it would be similar to the Model S and the Model X.

Those models have a speaker grille in the hatch, below the back window.

There is a TMC thread about it: Do the rear hatch speakers only come with premium sound?

Here is a view of the speaker placement in the Model S with UHF option:

interior_top_view_red_tan_12-speakers1.jpg

I’ve never had B&W but the model 3 premium sound is pretty solid.

I’ve heard the premium sound in the 3 is supposed to be really good. I test drove a MX over the summer, and the premium sound in that was decent, but not as nice as the Bowers & Wilkins. No center channel (or at least it didn’t sound like it had one). I didn’t spend too much time messing with the EQ settings, set it up in a “U” shape, which usually gets you where you need to be, for the most part. The lows were pretty good, almost too good, but it lacked the sound stage the Bowers & Wilkins has. Can’t have your cake and eat it too I suppose.

Reactions: ChrisH
I am happy for anyone who thinks the premium system in the Model Y is good.... as for me, I count the days to upgrading my Model Y to true reference sound quality. I love the car, but the premium stereo is not even close.... just waiting for installer to have a slot for me to get it done.

I am happy for anyone who thinks the premium system in the Model Y is good.... as for me, I count the days to upgrading my Model Y to true reference sound quality. I love the car, but the premium stereo is not even close.... just waiting for installer to have a slot for me to get it done.
When you do please post all the details and install pics. I’m curious what a good upgrade path looks like.