Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of us are waiting eagerly for more info on the Model Y. Me too!

I was intrigued by the original sketch, both from the point it seemed to hint at the Falcon Wing Doors, but also from what I thought might be a forward movement of the "A" pillars, and some cryptic comment from Musk at the time about rethinking what an SUV should be.

The context of my reading of Musk's comment was during the time of the unveiling of the Nio Eve concept. I was very excited by the ideas in the concept, although it is not practical for so many reasons not the least of which is it seems intended to be a chauffeur driven car.

But, it does represent a rethink of that might be consider "utility" in a modern vehicle. I consider modern SUV's to be not much more that a truck with an enclosed box, really no more imagination than that. Moving the A pillar forward by, maybe 10 inches, creates 10 more inches of interior room. With a higher roof line and a back more like a model X it will open up a LOT of design possibilities. Maybe 10 more inches or rear legroom? (boring), maybe 10 more inches cargo area behind the rear seats? (yeah ok, still boring).

There is a lot of potential interior room to do a lot of interesting things with (again thinking of the Nio Eve). I am also thinking of Musk's comments of making the Y on a brand new platform, then later maybe not. And his last comment of maybe not having a steering wheel, all make me thinking that there could be a slightly new interior configuration for this car, not just another hatchback/CUV.

Anyway, the latest design sketch from the side seems to be a bit more info along these lines. So I merged this sketch with a Model X to see how things might evolve:

upload_2018-6-9_11-59-24.png

Brand new to the forum. Like you, I am super excited about the modelY and like your mock up. Considering they plan on building this using the model3 platform, I imagine it would be closer in size to the Jaguar i-Pace, both at close to 184" (give or take) long. I would like to see a more flat back on the final modelY design though, similar to the i-Pace or BMW X1. I have a modelX now and love it but find the angled back windshield does make it more difficult to load taller items in the back. I understand the aerodynamic benefits of the current back windshield but would love some compromise especially with the space you loose going from the modelX to modelY.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
What really has me wondering is the "if it has a steering wheel" comment Elon made. I wonder if maybe this vehicle will have the steering yolk like the Roadster 2020 might? I think your mock up is great way get a preliminary visual, but I don't expect much more than a taller Model 3. I'd be willing to be the falcon wings would be a lot lower (when up) though, making me wonder about any limitations for those that are taller entering and exiting the rear seats. I have a MS, and have only driven an MX for about 2 hours, so I have no point of reference for this concern.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
What you are talking about is the Jaguar I-Pace, the front is as short as the regulations allow it and the wheelbase is 2990mm vs length at 4682 mm. Wheelbase to length ratio of 0.638. Model 3 wheelbase to length ratio is 2880/4690= 0.614.
The I-Pace , unlike the X, does not sacrifice looks and trunk space for lower drag.
US customers might want something taller than the I-Pace but other than that, it's a great blueprint.

Tesla is too conservative in design to make the best EV possible and a bit fixated on certain ideas weather they make sense or not.They need to shift more towards comfort and luxury as efficiency becomes less of an issue and autonomy arrives.
You might also like the Lagonda Vision , way sexier than the NIO.

So we bought a BMW i3 to tide us over till we can find a suitable EV here in Africa (or anywhere for that matter).

We want a SUV-ish vehicle and I love the I Pace but it will be too expensive - ditto e-tron and EQ range. Not sure if and when the flood of Chinese SUV EVs will arrive (and if they'll be any good) and I don't really want a converted ICE car like the Kona - I want an op0timised EV.

So I hang on for the Model Y...……

Please make it without Falcon Wing Doors and give it a boxy rear (like the I Pace/e-tron) and not an impractical fastback like the X. Then I'm first in line to convert my M3 reservation into a MY one!

Otherwise I wait of he VW ID Buzz as above - gorgeous but not quite what we had in mind.

IMO doubt that Model Y will have FWDs, purely from a cost/weight perspective. More likely to be similar to the VW ID...

VW-ID-Concept-doors-light_o.jpg

(Saying that, it also wouldn't surprise me much if it had one FWD on each side - the door being the whole side of the car).