Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y speed contol

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in a 2021 MY. I drive a lot on the back roads of East Texas. There are a lot of small towns and as you can imagine, a lot of speed changes going in to and leaving each of these small towns. I have the slider set to speed limit and have been using it in these towns. Speed limit reading has been extremely accurate. Ideally, I would like Autopilot to bring the car to the speed limit + offset at each sign that is encountered. Right now I just touch the speed limit graphic on the screen and it comes up to speed.

Am I missing a setting or is this not possible at this time?

I have just standard AP and it actually does adjust the speed up or down some times when I get into a different speed zone. I haven’t exactly figured out why it works some places and not others. I think it has something to do with the map data. Also, Sometimes AP will only let me set a speed at 10kph over the speed limit and other times it doesn’t care, I can go 30 over if I want. I think the two phenomena are related.

I have just standard AP and it actually does adjust the speed up or down some times when I get into a different speed zone. I haven’t exactly figured out why it works some places and not others. I think it has something to do with the map data. Also, Sometimes AP will only let me set a speed at 10kph over the speed limit and other times it doesn’t care, I can go 30 over if I want. I think the two phenomena are related.
I have FSD and the speed adjustment is no better. Sometimes it works but I'd say more often than not it does not. I don't see any difference between not going up or not going down. Sometimes I use the scroll wheel but mostly tap the speed sign on the display.

AutoPilot will adjust speed down from the max speed you started with, but not above unless you specifically tell it.

For Example, If you turned on AutoPilot in a 55 MPH zone, and the speed limit changes to 35, it will drop itself to 35. Leaving town the speed limit goes back up to 55, it will return to 55 on its own. However, if the speed limit goes up to 70, AutoPilot will stay at 55.

AutoPilot will adjust speed down from the max speed you started with, but not above unless you specifically tell it.

For Example, If you turned on AutoPilot in a 55 MPH zone, and the speed limit changes to 35, it will drop itself to 35. Leaving town the speed limit goes back up to 55, it will return to 55 on its own. However, if the speed limit goes up to 70, AutoPilot will stay at 55.
One thing Autopilot won't currently do (not sure about FSD) is to drop the speed automatically when entering a school zone. I routinely drive on a road with a 35 MPH speed limit. On a section of the road with several schools, on Mon - Fri from 0700 - 1600, there is a flashing sign with a 25 MPH speed limit. The Tesla Model Y does not pay attention to the flashing sign (the reduced speed limit does not even appear on the driving display.)

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung

mine occasionally does that. I regularly travel a road that goes 45->40->35->45->35. Mine rarely adjusts for any of those. It does start at 45 correctly.

I have same experience. The display always provides the correct speed limit, but car often does not adjust, but sometimes adjusts perfectly. I am hoping that the speed would consistently adjust to my offset over the posted speed limit. Occasionally adjusts, but usually does not, even with FSD in my 2021 Model Y. Seems that should be easy for Tesla to fix. Last month I got a speed trap camera ticket for continuing at 45 mph (set at prior speed limit of 40+ 10%), and missed that the speed limit changed to 30 mph for a short distance going past a school activity field (not a school zone of 15 mph), but reduced speed nevertheless.

I was coming the opposite direction of the road mentioned above today. I rarely go in that direction. I got numerous phantom brakes but the most interesting was the speed limit was wrong. MY had 40 but that section has never been 40 in the almost 50 years I've traveled that road. A couple years ago they reduced it from 45 (once was 50) to 35 (the last 35 above).

FSD is really disapointing to say the least.