Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y spottings: the good, the bad, and the ugly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many people these days, my only interaction with the outside world is a daily walk/run. I've seen a few Model Y's delivered in the neighborhood and will be using this thread to share some photos and thoughts.

The Good

This car had the best exterior of the three. Although the hatch is slightly misaligned, all other body panels gaps seemed pretty consistent. It seems like a reasonable trade-off to get your hands on the car close to the release date.

IMG_1569.jpg IMG_1570.jpg IMG_1571.jpg IMG_1572.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    694.3 KB · Views: 533
  • Informative
Reactions: Scott7
The Ugly

Disclaimer: this one had a manufacturer plate. I'm guessing / hoping it is a pre-production vehicle.

The weird part about this car is that the trunk looks okay on the passenger side. But it's installed lopsided, so the driver's side doesn't seal all the way. Could almost fit my finger into the gap.

This car is also the first time I've seen the standard / Gemini wheels in person. The contrast between the light and dark gray sections was more noticeable than in the pictures on the website.

IMG_1613.jpg IMG_1618.jpg IMG_1611.jpg IMG_1612.jpg IMG_1615.jpg IMG_1614.jpg IMG_1619.jpg

I wonder if this is common with earlier builds, i had a VIN in the 500's that had similar hatch issue, but i can always be re-adjusted. any idea if these are earlier VIN numbers? the white color doesnt look to bad.

edit: take that back, the plastic bumper color doesn't match the body color, i'm debating if i should switch from white to black now.

Reactions: alloverx
My vin is one of the last 15 made before the shutdown. Just picked it up this week. I am thrilled with the panel gaps compared to many complaints I have seen. The only location I am asking to have adjusted is the rear wheel well plastic surrounds that are slightly twisted where they meet the base of the rear doors.

I wonder if this is common with earlier builds, i had a VIN in the 500's that had similar hatch issue, but i can always be re-adjusted. any idea if these are earlier VIN numbers? the white color doesnt look to bad.

Went back to find the VINs. White one is roughly 3,000 and gray is 400. (VINs rounded to the nearest hundred)

Also here are some more images of a May delivery that I spotted at a public charger. The VIN is approx 4800 which is higher than the other two. It seems like rear hatch alignment continues to be a challenge even though the white one looked decent.

IMG_1751.jpg IMG_1752.jpg IMG_1753.jpg IMG_1754.jpg IMG_1756.jpg

Went back to find the VINs. White one is roughly 3,000 and gray is 400. (VINs rounded to the nearest hundred)

Also here are some more images of a May delivery that I spotted at a public charger. The VIN is approx 4800 which is higher than the other two. It seems like rear hatch alignment continues to be a challenge even though the white one looked decent.

View attachment 542335 View attachment 542336 View attachment 542337 View attachment 542338 View attachment 542339
Mine has the same hatch glass issue.

Turns out even after the hatch being adjusted the glass itself was installed incorrectly.

Having it in at service again on Tuesday, service had to order a new pano glass roof and hatch glass just in case in their adjustment they damage either glass.