Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR 1 year free trial of premium subscription taken away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, how did BMW treat you with the car in the shop? Loaner, rental ect..

they have always been good about it, generally my dealer tries to keep BMWs in their loaner fleet but there are some camrys too. You just have to book a couple weeks out to guarantee a loaner. Or, you lean on those relationships you’ve built (if there’s a car free, I can get it or they will put plates on a new car)

Sales drives Service but Service makes a good part of the dealer’s profit. So they have incentive to make sure it’s a pleasant experience.

But I’m told BMW provides some of the best service across the brands.

When the SR first appeared on the web page it did list 1 year Premium Connectivity as complimentary, for maybe a day or two. Then it changed. There is another thread here somewhere discussing that. I distinctly recall it, as I was surprised there was no change from the LR AWD other than range and missing a motor. The interior features were exactly the same, vs the M3 SR which has the 'partial Premium' interior.

Reactions: na5m
Probably related to the reason the SR Y was removed from the website today.

Similar to what Tesla did to with the Model 3 SR+ last year around this time, and again to existing owners, they removed the the 1 year premium connectivity complimentary service and changed it to 30 days complimentary, and then software-disabled the fog lights, premium audio (to just standard audio, but disconnecting some interior speakers and the sub), and removed the rear heated seats.... which you could pay $300 to get back.

No telling exactly what Tesla will be doing for the SR Model Y cars, but I suspect they may be relisting it back onto the website shortly with "partial premium" interior (like they did with the Model 3) and telling people you'll only get a 30 day complimentary service of premium connectivity.

Probably related to the reason the SR Y was removed from the website today.

Similar to what Tesla did to with the Model 3 SR+ last year around this time, and again to existing owners, they removed the the 1 year premium connectivity complimentary service and changed it to 30 days complimentary, and then software-disabled the fog lights, premium audio (to just standard audio, but disconnecting some interior speakers and the sub), and removed the rear heated seats.... which you could pay $300 to get back.

No telling exactly what Tesla will be doing for the SR Model Y cars, but I suspect they may be relisting it back onto the website shortly with "partial premium" interior (like they did with the Model 3) and telling people you'll only get a 30 day complimentary service of premium connectivity.

I hope that is the plan. Mine is already signed/paid and released to 3rd party to bring over to my Island. It is a great option for people (like me) who need a small suv, don't drive much and live in a temperate climate 365. If they nuke my premium sound, that would be a bummer, but I would not have added premium sound as an option if it had been given to me.

tonyb99:
Sorry, clearly you haven't read the entire thread. They are NOT asking for "something for nothing." They have documentation (although not in their contracts) from their various Sales Advisors, specifically stating that they were getting 1 year Premium Connectivity.

I think they all have a legitimate complaint. Whether it's worth arguing over ($120), that's not for me to decide.

tonyb99:
Sorry, clearly you haven't read the entire thread. They are NOT asking for "something for nothing." They have documentation (although not in their contracts) from their various Sales Advisors, specifically stating that they were getting 1 year Premium Connectivity.

I think they all have a legitimate complaint. Whether it's worth arguing over ($120), that's not for me to decide.

/nod @ being worth arguing over. I also bought an SR Y, I also received an email stating I would have Premium Connectivity through Jan 2022. I also received an email later that appeared to downgrade that to March 2021. I don't really need the premium connectivity so it wasn't worth bothering with. It is still ridiculous .. if I get an official email, it shouldn't be taken away. This official email wasn't from a salesperson, it came from Tesla immediately after I accepted delivery.

"You've been granted a complimentary 1 year trial of Premium Connectivity. It will end on January 19, 2022. Subscribe any time during the free trial to continue enjoying the features below."

Unfortunately Tesla has completely modified their order page since I put in my order. However, before the order screens were changed, the 1 year free trial was listed under "Premium Interior". The only reason the Model 3 SR+ did not receive 1 year free trial was because it has "Partial Premium Interior", not because it is an SR. The Model Y SR has Premium Interior. So what would associate the Y SR with 30 days or 1 year of connectivity is not whether it is an SR or not, it is the trim level of the interior. Now since then Tesla could have changed their minds and decided to have the SR trim itself dictate this instead of whether or not the car has a "premium interior" .. but at the time of my order, that was not the case.

Actually this is still listed on the model 3 information page (Model 3 | Tesla), under specs and expand list. It shows the differences between partial premium and premium interior, which includes the 30 day vs 1 year trial of connectivity. My Model Y SR has rear heated seats, fog lights, upgraded sound, etc, so it has a premium interior.

/shrug

I am not giving up, even though it is a small amount of money. It was on the order page when I placed the order, and I have an email that states I get 1 year. It is up to Tesla to now honor it, still waiting to hear back from my store to see what they are going to do.

Reactions: PearlShark
I was confirmed this multiple times by my Sales Rep. The order page showed this when I ordered.
This is not a good way to conduct business.
I am with you on not letting this go, what are our options after Sales Rep is going back on their word?

Reactions: na5m
PearlShark: "...what are our options after Sales Rep is going back on their word?"

The way cars are marketed, there's always an *, indicating the seller has the right to modify options, etc., at any time. If it isn't specifically written in the contract, I'm afraid there ARE no options. Auto sales contracts have been this was for decades. That's the precedent that they (auto mfrs) can legally rely on.

I'm NOT defending Tesla. It's an industry-wide issue. In my past experience, I've had dealerships offer a "goodwill" gesture to resolve the issue in my favor, but for whatever reason, Tesla "dealerships" don't seem to have the ability to individually address this problem..

I feel your rant, for sure, as the $$$ amount is so small, for the buyer, and certainly, for Tesla. It's a simple software update, not the installation of hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: PearlShark
Same issue here. I bought my MYSR January 20th. When I was configuring it, I'm certain that it said I would be given 1-year Complimentary Trial Premium Connectivity. Guess I shoulda set up a camcorder to capture my computer screen during the purchase process, but I didn't 😣.... But I am certain that when I got my car, it also said Premium Connectivity would expire March, 18 January 29, 2022. Guess I shoulda took a picture of that, too, but I didn't (I never imagined that I'd need to have that kind of proof). And I also have an email from Tesla saying that I have 1 year trial. How's that for proof!

What's truly frustrating is trying to contact Tesla! It is practically impossible! Kinda like trying to contact anyone at PayPal for help.

Attachments

• premConnectEmail.jpg
    premConnectEmail.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Same issue here. I bought my MYSR January 20th. When I was configuring it, I'm certain that it said I would be given 1-year Complimentary Trial Premium Connectivity. Guess I shoulda set up a camcorder to capture my computer screen during the purchase process, but I didn't 😣.... But I am certain that when I got my car, it also said Premium Connectivity would expire March, 18 January 29, 2022. Guess I shoulda took a picture of that, too, but I didn't (I never imagined that I'd need to have that kind of proof). And I also have an email from Tesla saying that I have 1 year trial. How's that for proof!

What's truly frustrating is trying to contact Tesla! It is practically impossible! Kinda like trying to contact anyone at PayPal for help.
I guess it depends on country, but actually it's pretty easy to contact them via Chat:

That's what I did for a problem with the service messages in the app.

After contacting Tesla customer service on Chat, they said they had to work with the backend data to get it fixed and it would take 24 hours. About 4 hours later a subscribe button finally showed up on the website and I now have premium connectivity again. Im so glad I didn't need to reach out to Tesla multiple times with this issue.

Reactions: DanDi58