Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR Battery Size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What “extra” weight exactly does the LR have except for another ~100 pound motor?
GVWR tells the capability of a given car. Curb weight is the car weight . Payload = GVWR - Curb weight.

Your question should be answered by comparing the curb weighs of Y SR and Y LR, which is about 500 pounds. The difference should be the weight of the extra battery, the extra front motor, the extra stuffs to support the front motor.

The Y SR payload = 5222 - 3920 = 1302.

Unfortunately, the Y LR payload is smaller = 5302 - 4475 = 827, which is quite smaller than Y SR.
In other words, Y SR can carry much more load than Y LR, which is again about 500 pounds extra load.

By the way, I compared the above Y SR payload number with all other Tesla cars in production.
Y SR is the largest payload among all Tesla cars currently in production! The next closest one is X, which is the biggest Tesla.

In this sense, Tesla Y SR is a truly unique car. If you have Y SR, please enjoy this unique capability of Y SR, especially during this summer season. :)

Reactions: Daekwan

Attachments

• 20210703_120934_HDR.jpg
    20210703_120934_HDR.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: GOVA
GVWR tells the capability of a given car. Curb weight is the car weight . Payload = GVWR - Curb weight.

Your question should be answered by comparing the curb weighs of Y SR and Y LR, which is about 500 pounds. The difference should be the weight of the extra battery, the extra front motor, the extra stuffs to support the front motor.

The Y SR payload = 5222 - 3920 = 1302.

Unfortunately, the Y LR payload is smaller = 5302 - 4475 = 827, which is quite smaller than Y SR.
In other words, Y SR can carry much more load than Y LR, which is again about 500 pounds extra load.

By the way, I compared the above Y SR payload number with all other Tesla cars in production.
Y SR is the largest payload among all Tesla cars currently in production! The next closest one is X, which is the biggest Tesla.

In this sense, Tesla Y SR is a truly unique car. If you have Y SR, please enjoy this unique capability of Y SR, especially during this summer season. :)
The curb weight of the SRMY is 3920 lbs; this is 496 lbs less than the curb weight of the 2020 LRMY (4416 lbs *)

* The curb weight of the 2020 LRMY is listed as 4416 lbs (also 4416 lbs for the 2020 PMY). GVWR is 5302 lbs for both the 2020 LRMY and PMY. The stated vehicle capacity weight of the 2020 LRMY is 954 lbs. This is curious as the difference between the GVWR and the curb weight, i.e. the payload, (including passengers) is 886 lbs. What accounts for the other 68 lbs?

4475 lbs (an additional 59 lbs) probably accounts for the additional weight of the optional tow hitch package. I believe that that the 2021, 7 seat configuration LRMY is also heavier by approximately ~175 lbs. The 7 seat configuration is not available on the PMY. The rare 7 seat configuration SRMY would be heavier than the SRMY by ~175lbs.

The curb weight of the SRMY is 3920 lbs; this is 496 lbs less than the curb weight of the 2020 LRMY (4416 lbs *)

* The curb weight of the 2020 LRMY is listed as 4416 lbs (also 4416 lbs for the 2020 PMY). GVWR is 5302 lbs for both the 2020 LRMY and PMY. The stated vehicle capacity weight of the 2020 LRMY is 954 lbs. This is curious as the difference between the GVWR and the curb weight, i.e. the payload, (including passengers) is 886 lbs. What accounts for the other 68 lbs?

4475 lbs (an additional 59 lbs) probably accounts for the additional weight of the optional tow hitch package. I believe that that the 2021, 7 seat configuration LRMY is also heavier by approximately ~175 lbs. The 7 seat configuration is not available on the PMY. The rare 7 seat configuration SRMY would be heavier than the SRMY by ~175lbs.
Is the curb weight listed anywhere on the car? I have a 7 seat SR and am happy to check.

Is the curb weight listed anywhere on the car? I have a 7 seat SR and am happy to check.
Not the curb weight; the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the A pillar (by the driver's door opening) should state Combined Weight of Occupants and Cargo Should Never Exceed XXX kg or XXX lb. For the 2020 LRMY the numbers listed on my Model Y are 375 kg or 826 lb. The SRMY (2-row/5 seat version ) weighs almost 500 lbs less than the LRMY and PMY. The maximum payload of the SRMY is 590 kg or 1302 lbs (see post #24.) If the sticker on your SRMY 3-row/7-seat variation shows less than 1302 lbs then you will know the additional weight of the 7-seat SRMY versus the 5-seat SRMY.

I checked and the max payload is 1157lb on a 7 seat SRMY for what it's worth.
Good to know. Since the payload of the SRMY (5 seat version) is 1302 lbs your SRMY (7 seat version) weighs approximately ~145 lbs more than the 5 seat version of the SRMY. That is ~350 lbs lighter than the Long Range Model Y (5 seat version. Approximately ~500 lbs lighter than the 7 seat LRMY.