Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR Battery Size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if the off-menu Tesla SR Y may have the same 78kwh pack as the LR, but software-locked? It would be interesting to compare the charge curve of an SR vs LR. If the SR is software locked, then it would probably charge at peak rate to a higher percentage than the LR. But I'm not finding any Y SR charge curves posted online.

Reactions: j16naples
I was wondering if the off-menu Tesla SR Y may have the same 78kwh pack as the LR, but software-locked? It would be interesting to compare the charge curve of an SR vs LR. If the SR is software locked, then it would probably charge at peak rate to a higher percentage than the LR. But I'm not finding any Y SR charge curves posted online.
Unlikely based upon the weight differences.

Reactions: Daekwan
So it took 34KWH to bring my SR Model Y from 25% to 90%...
Simple math will tell you that it looks like it is a 55 KWH battery...
I just brought it back from a 220 mile road trip (each way). I noticed supercharging at the 150 KWH supercharger was exactly the same as doing it at the 250 KWH superchargers...with a battery that small...it looks like it will not accept a super high charge rate...if my memory is correct I believe 130 KWH charge rate is the highest I saw when I plugged it in with a SOC of 25%...

Hope this helps...

Reactions: Daekwan
I just brought it back from a 220 mile road trip (each way). I noticed supercharging at the 150 KWH supercharger was exactly the same as doing it at the 250 KWH superchargers...with a battery that small...it looks like it will not accept a super high charge rate...if my memory is correct I believe 130 KWH charge rate is the highest I saw when I plugged it in with a SOC of 25%...

Hope this helps...

did you navigate to the supercharger?

I would expect the charge rate to be reduced when compared to the long range MY, but not by more than 25% based on the difference in capacity. In theory, the equivalent max charge rate of the standard range pack, when compared to the LR pack, would equate to 187.5 kW. If you didn’t reach this charge rate, that could either be due to the cell temperature not being hot enough and/or the SoC not being low enough.

Last edited:

Hope this helps...
V3 superchargers should allow the standard range hit 170kW if it’s down near 10 to 20% SOC and battery is warm (essentially hot, like 90F+).

Ahh, yes, that's a good place to check.

AWD-LR and AWD-P: 4,416 lb (2003 kg)
RWD-SR: 3,920 lb (1,780 kg)

However there is the confounding factor of the omitted motor.

I'm guessing that of the 500 lb weight difference, half is for the partially-filled battery modules.
Bringing this thread back up as I took delivery of a SR a couple days ago. VIN 173XXX with the GVWR showing 4,222, Thought that was interesting as I believe the earlier build SRs showed the 3,920 figure.

It's a 5-seater
The plot thickens; the GVW of 4222 lbs is what would be expected if the front drive unit was deleted. Maybe Tesla built some SR Model Y with the larger battery pack with the capacity limited via software. Tesla has done this before with the Model S, I believe with the MR M3.

What if Tesla later decides to unlock the additional range of the SR Model Y battery pack for a price (TBD). Then you would have a LR RWD Model Y. It's a conspiracy!

The curb weight of the 2020 LR Model Y is 4416 lbs (the maximum curb weight of the 2021 LR Model Y including options is 4475 lbs.) GVWR is 5302 lbs; Vehicle capacity weight is 954 lbs.

The curb weight of the SR Model Y is 3920 lbs. If the GVWR of the SR Model Y is 4222 lbs then the payload would be limited to 302 lbs which doesn't make sense. With the same 954 lb payload the GVWR would be 4874 lbs.

The curb weight of the 2020 LR Model Y is 4416 lbs (the maximum curb weight of the 2021 LR Model Y including options is 4475 lbs.) GVWR is 5302 lbs; Vehicle capacity weight is 954 lbs.

The curb weight of the SR Model Y is 3920 lbs. If the GVWR of the SR Model Y is 4222 lbs then the payload would be limited to 302 lbs which doesn't make sense. With the same 954 lb payload the GVWR would be 4874 lbs.
I typo'd the number in the first post, but corrected in the subsequent. It's 5,222. Also, took a pic of the tag :)

1621229861003.png

This means that both Y SR and Y LR have essentially the same weight capability because they are same cars except the battery and the motor. Thus, the Y SR can carry more than Y LR.

This phenomenon can be observed with ICE cars. A loaded ICE car actually can carry less than a basic model ICE because the loaded ICE car is already loaded at the factory with the options that the basic car does not have.

In short, if one want to carry more stuffs without violating the design spec, the person should buy Y SR because it can carry more than Y LR.

This means that both Y SR and Y LR have essentially the same weight capability because they are same cars except the battery and the motor. Thus, the Y SR can carry more than Y LR.

This phenomenon can be observed with ICE cars. A loaded ICE car actually can carry less than a basic model ICE because the loaded ICE car is already loaded at the factory with the options that the basic car does not have.

In short, if one want to carry more stuffs without violating the design spec, the person should buy Y SR because it can carry more than Y LR.
What “extra” weight exactly does the LR have except for another ~100 pound motor?