Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR factory installed hitch bike rack recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kuat NV base 2.0. Can be extended to add more bikes. Love this Rack.

Attachments

• AE94D36D-FE17-4219-BA56-DD0B6AFB57DF.jpeg
    AE94D36D-FE17-4219-BA56-DD0B6AFB57DF.jpeg
    784.6 KB · Views: 2,184
With the case of hitch mounted bike/storage racks the "vertical weight" figure is simply an attempt to simplify for mass consumption that there is a huge difference between the cantilevered force applied by a floating bike rack, and the direct tongue weight applied by a trailer for example.

Imagine that 160 lbs centred 1.5-2.0 feet from the hitch on a vertical bike rack lets say. Vs 160 lbs centred 3.0-4.0 feet from the hitch on a platform bike rack. The later will be exerting twice the torque on the hitch. We all realize this but unfortunately Tesla doesn't provide the torque limits. But we can make intelligent decisions with this in mind. For example I am selling the bike 3&4 extension on my Yakima HoldUp Evo platform rack. Keeping it as a two bike rack, and adding a 4 MTB Yakima HangOver vertical rack that will keep the weight much closer to the hitch, and reduce the load on the car.
I am interested in feed back on buying a vertical rack for my Y. Any vertical rack like the VelociRAX 412 seems like it would me more aerodynamic than a rack that has the bikes horizontal which seem to me to have decreased range significantly. please to hear your experience.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 11.13.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 11.13.36 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 251
Reactions: Watts_Up
Kuat NV base 2.0. Can be extended to add more bikes. Love this Rack.
This. I've got the NV 2.0 with the add-on.

Btw, usually around spring time the shops that support NICA racing will do a discount day for the local schools. We got iirc 25% off so it made getting the Base and add-on relatively reasonable. I say relatively cuz it ain't cheap to begin with.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tbwnm