Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR factory installed hitch bike rack recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the recent $2K price reduction on the Model Y SR, I decided to add the factory hitch to my order mainly for transporting bikes. Would appreciate any recommendations for a bike rack that can hold (3) bikes. Specifically:

(1) Fat Tire (weight approx. 40lbs)
(1) Women's Hybrid (weight approx. 35lbs)
(1) Youth mountain bike (weight approx. 30lbs)

The Kuat Transfer V2 Hitch Bike Rack - 3-Bike, 2" Receiver looks like a good option. Does anyone have any experience with this model and the Tesla Model Y? Thanks!

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
With the recent $2K price reduction on the Model Y SR, I decided to add the factory hitch to my order mainly for transporting bikes. Would appreciate any recommendations for a bike rack that can hold (3) bikes. Specifically:

The Kuat Transfer V2 Hitch Bike Rack - 3-Bike, 2" Receiver looks like a good option. Does anyone have any experience with this model and the Tesla Model Y? Thanks!
Check out the 1UP racks. Much sturdier than the Kuat.

Keep in mind that tongue weight could be an issue with that many (heavy) bikes + the weight and extension of the rack. It only supports vertical loads of 160 lbs

See the 2021 Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual for information on the maximum unsupported tow hitch weight limit. The original documentation incorrectly stated that the Model Y tow hitch would support up to 160 lbs unsupported. Tesla has since restated this specification. The maximum unsupported tow hitch weight limit is 120 lbs. You will probably only be able to carry two bikes on the hitch rack.

I have the same rack, in the two bike version. Works great, and I really like the ability to swing the bikes down to be able to access the car hatch, without having to remove bikes. I haul two ebikes, about 50 lbs each, with no problems.

See the 2021 Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual for information on the maximum unsupported tow hitch weight limit. The original documentation incorrectly stated that the Model Y tow hitch would support up to 160 lbs unsupported. Tesla has since restated this specification. The maximum unsupported tow hitch weight limit is 120 lbs. You will probably only be able to carry two bikes on the hitch rack.
Thats really good to know, thanks for looking that up. With the (3) bikes I’m at probably just under a 100lbs total weight but I also have to factor in the weight of the rack and the Kuat V2 transfer V2 2” (3) bike weighs 51lbs which will put me over the limit.

Thats really good to know, thanks for looking that up. With the (3) bikes I’m at probably just under a 100lbs total weight but I also have to factor in the weight of the rack and the Kuat V2 transfer V2 2” (3) bike weighs 51lbs which will put me over the limit.

Has anyone had any experience with the rack sold through Tesla? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they would sell a rack that can supposedly hold up to 4 bikes but if you subtract the weight of their hitch (which comes in at 40lbs) your only left with a total of 80lbs for the bikes. However, the specs for the Tesla rack clearly state; "The Model X/Y hitch is designed to support loading of up to 120 lbs" (Tongue and Towing capacity is discussed in more detail on this thread). Wondering now if it's worth it for me as I can't very well leave one of the bikes at home if I go on a family trip? Worst case scenarios is I guess I could put (2) bikes on the rack and (1) bike in the trunk (kind of defeats the purpose). Also, although I'm not planning on towing a trailer of any size, it's probably not practical or advisable for a SR RWD.

I know I read that the vertical load limit (whatever that means) on the Model Y hitch was revised from 160 lbs to 120 lbs. I can't find this reference. I suggest reaching out to Tesla for the latest information regarding the weight limit(s) on the Model Y tow hitch.

I just checked my on-screen owners manual (2021 Model Y) and it still says 160 lbs. I’m leaning toward believing that is correct and the Tesla Shop entry for the Tesla-labeled bike rack is taking a shortcut and subtracting the 40-lb weight of that rack before saying that total allowable load is 120 lbs.

I sure hope so because my 3-bike 1-UP rack plus our family’s 3 bikes totals 161 lbs. :}

I just checked my on-screen owners manual (2021 Model Y) and it still says 160 lbs. I’m leaning toward believing that is correct and the Tesla Shop entry for the Tesla-labeled bike rack is taking a shortcut and subtracting the 40-lb weight of that rack before saying that total allowable load is 120 lbs.

I sure hope so because my 3-bike 1-UP rack plus our family’s 3 bikes totals 161 lbs. :}
I hope your right

With the case of hitch mounted bike/storage racks the "vertical weight" figure is simply an attempt to simplify for mass consumption that there is a huge difference between the cantilevered force applied by a floating bike rack, and the direct tongue weight applied by a trailer for example.

Imagine that 160 lbs centred 1.5-2.0 feet from the hitch on a vertical bike rack lets say. Vs 160 lbs centred 3.0-4.0 feet from the hitch on a platform bike rack. The later will be exerting twice the torque on the hitch. We all realize this but unfortunately Tesla doesn't provide the torque limits. But we can make intelligent decisions with this in mind. For example I am selling the bike 3&4 extension on my Yakima HoldUp Evo platform rack. Keeping it as a two bike rack, and adding a 4 MTB Yakima HangOver vertical rack that will keep the weight much closer to the hitch, and reduce the load on the car.

Reactions: DaddysCar and ahcpa
I wonder if the tongue weight is different for the SR RWD and LR AWD..... The latest manual I have (2020.40) shows 160. Doesn't differentiate between SR/LR, just the different tire sizes. Since I don't have my car yet, I can't look at the version on-screen, which I imagine would be the latest and greatest. But it does matter to me as I do plan to use the tow hitch for a bike rack.

With the case of hitch mounted bike/storage racks the "vertical weight" figure is simply an attempt to simplify for mass consumption that there is a huge difference between the cantilevered force applied by a floating bike rack, and the direct tongue weight applied by a trailer for example.

For sure, and thanks for spelling this out. With 160 lbs total to load, I'm basically assuming that there is enough tolerance built into whatever calculation Tesla's engineers did from the actual torque numbers that I can get away with it — and I definitely am planning to load the bikes in order of weight (heaviest closest to the hitch).

For example I am selling the bike 3&4 extension on my Yakima HoldUp Evo platform rack. Keeping it as a two bike rack, and adding a 4 MTB Yakima HangOver vertical rack that will keep the weight much closer to the hitch, and reduce the load on the car.

Would love to find a HangOver type solution for road bikes . . . works with suspension forks only.

Would love to find a HangOver type solution for road bikes . . . works with suspension forks only.

There are a couple out there. North Shore Racks for example. Even lighter, and better priced. However I have come to really appreciate the Yakima foot pedal release to change angles etc... hence will keep my two bike platform for road and CX bikes. With me kids we all ride MTB bikes.