Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR factory installed hitch bike rack recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had any experience with the rack sold through Tesla? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they would sell a rack that can supposedly hold up to 4 bikes but if you subtract the weight of their hitch (which comes in at 40lbs) your only left with a total of 80lbs for the bikes. However, the specs for the Tesla rack clearly state; "The Model X/Y hitch is designed to support loading of up to 120 lbs" (Tongue and Towing capacity is discussed in more detail on this thread). Wondering now if it's worth it for me as I can't very well leave one of the bikes at home if I go on a family trip? Worst case scenarios is I guess I could put (2) bikes on the rack and (1) bike in the trunk (kind of defeats the purpose). Also, although I'm not planning on towing a trailer of any size, it's probably not practical or advisable for a SR RWD.

I bought the Yakima ridgeback 4 which is the same as what Tesla offers. I loaded 4 bikes totaling 120 and the weight of the hitch is 40 bringing it to 160 on a round trip to San Diego this past weekend. Worked fine!

Dr. Tray by Yakima with an extension for your 3rd bike is probably the lightest, best option.
Dr.Tray
I have this and it works great.

That said, I have a 2018 Model X. I am not sure if this translates exactly to the Model Y. But: I want to put a lot more weight on that tongue, so I bought an aftermarket permanent hitch receiver and installed that. I can now put 500 lbs on there... I sold the original Tesla system and actually made money on the deal. (Note: I installed the hitch receiver myself. It will cost you to have someone do it.)

Now I can install the rack and load two bikes in 5 minutes. Its light enough that my wife could do it if needed.

I got mine from this site and it looks like they have one fro your Y: 2020 Tesla Model Y Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com
(Note: Y is limited to 350 lbs...)

Also consider
Sport Rider SE2 Hitch Bike Rack

Great rack. Did 1,000 mile road trip with one 44lb ebike and was very pleasantly surprised at the small hit on Wh/mi. The other thing about these racks is they don't wiggle around. Solid as a rock.
This looks solid and a great option for 2 bikes. I'm looking for a rack that will hold 3 bikes. They make a SE4 four bike version but it weights 91lbs so thats not an option. Hollywood Racks do make a Destination 4 Bike Hitch that only weighs 41lbs but it doesn't have the anti wobble feature. Has anyone used this one?

Dr. Tray by Yakima with an extension for your 3rd bike is probably the lightest, best option.
Dr.Tray
I have this and it works great.

That said, I have a 2018 Model X. I am not sure if this translates exactly to the Model Y. But: I want to put a lot more weight on that tongue, so I bought an aftermarket permanent hitch receiver and installed that. I can now put 500 lbs on there... I sold the original Tesla system and actually made money on the deal. (Note: I installed the hitch receiver myself. It will cost you to have someone do it.)

Now I can install the rack and load two bikes in 5 minutes. Its light enough that my wife could do it if needed.

I got mine from this site and it looks like they have one fro your Y: 2020 Tesla Model Y Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com
(Note: Y is limited to 350 lbs...)

350lbs is the same tongue weight as the Model Y factory hitch.

With the recent $2K price reduction on the Model Y SR, I decided to add the factory hitch to my order mainly for transporting bikes. Would appreciate any recommendations for a bike rack that can hold (3) bikes. Specifically:

(1) Fat Tire (weight approx. 40lbs)
(1) Women's Hybrid (weight approx. 35lbs)
(1) Youth mountain bike (weight approx. 30lbs)

The Kuat Transfer V2 Hitch Bike Rack - 3-Bike, 2" Receiver looks like a good option. Does anyone have any experience with this model and the Tesla Model Y? Thanks!

I researched a lot of bike racks and Kuat is definitely great. However, there is one that is even better IMO. I was on a mountain bike trip in Minnesota and came across this guy who had this really nice bike rack. He told me it was made by 1-UP, and I had never heard of them. Turns out they only sell online out of Wisconsin and do not retail things to dealers. Everything is 100% made in USA and they are built to last a life time! Not even joking. Go to Bike Racks – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE and you can see the combinations sold. It is about the same price range as Kuat, but 1-UP products are far superior. I have one I got about 3 years ago though see there is a newer version that is even better. I highly recommend searching youtube to learn about these bike racks, you will not find anything negative about them except for maybe the price, but like I said the price is still in the range of a Kuat. What I like is the flexibility of this rack. You can start with the version that holds 2 bikes, then they sell a 1 or even 2 bike extension. If it is just you or one other person, you have a rack for two, then if you need more it only takes about 2 minutes to add the extension. And this rack is rock solid! All bikes do not touch and they are locked down so that you will not ruin your bikes by any rocking. If you are concerned about locking your bikes down to the rack, I know Kuat has a built in lock, but honestly it is as simple as getting your own lock that you trust and running it through the rack and bike. I would rather do that because the Kuat lock is a cable that takes about 5 seconds to cut with a bolt cutter.

With the recent $2K price reduction on the Model Y SR, I decided to add the factory hitch to my order mainly for transporting bikes. Would appreciate any recommendations for a bike rack that can hold (3) bikes. Specifically:

(1) Fat Tire (weight approx. 40lbs)
(1) Women's Hybrid (weight approx. 35lbs)
(1) Youth mountain bike (weight approx. 30lbs)

The Kuat Transfer V2 Hitch Bike Rack - 3-Bike, 2" Receiver looks like a good option. Does anyone have any experience with this model and the Tesla Model Y? Thanks!

Check it out

I just checked my on-screen owners manual (2021 Model Y) and it still says 160 lbs. I’m leaning toward believing that is correct and the Tesla Shop entry for the Tesla-labeled bike rack is taking a shortcut and subtracting the 40-lb weight of that rack before saying that total allowable load is 120 lbs.

I sure hope so because my 3-bike 1-UP rack plus our family’s 3 bikes totals 161 lbs. :}

Let me.know how it goes for you.

I am getting ready to purchase the 1UP EQUIP-D double @ 48.5lb with 2 add ons @ 20lbs each totalling 88.5lbs just for the mounts I'm left with 70lbs of up to 4 bikes with the heaviest needing to be under 50lbs.

Does anyone see an issue with this setup? This would be for 2x adult and 2x kids bikes with the total weight of mounts + bikes being under 160lbs as stated in the MY manual.

Let me.know how it goes for you.

I am getting ready to purchase the 1UP EQUIP-D double @ 48.5lb with 2 add ons @ 20lbs each totalling 88.5lbs just for the mounts I'm left with 70lbs of up to 4 bikes with the heaviest needing to be under 50lbs.

Does anyone see an issue with this setup? This would be for 2x adult and 2x kids bikes with the total weight of mounts + bikes being under 160lbs as stated in the MY manual.
4 bikes is 100lbs on the very light side, average around 125 lbs and trending upwards towards 150lbs. With the ~88 lb rack you are likely over 200lb which is significantly more than 160 Tesla rate as the “vertical load”.
If you have a bike close to 50lbs I wouldn’t add a second

Another recommendation for the 1Up rack. If you have some heavy bikes, you can't go wrong with the Super Duty rack.

I have the Super Duty double and 2 extra add-ons, and carrying 4 bikes is no problem. I haven't tried it out on a Model Y yet (I will once I get my car, as I ordered the tow hitch with it), but here are some pictures of it on our Honda Pilot.

The 1Up racks are super sturdy and the build quality shows it. They're super easy to use and very fast to secure a bike on the rack. The only 2 downsides are the price, and it's really heavy when you have the add-on racks. If I take the 4-rack setup off the hitch, it's about 90-100 lbs to carry but I leave it with just 1 add-on attached to the double rack for 3 bikes, since I'm usually taking my bike and my kids' bikes. But driving on the freeway at 80mph with 4 bikes, it's solid and nothing moves at all.

1-UPrack-10.jpg

1-UPrack-07.jpg

1-UPrack-05.jpg

Reactions: aidanbiggins
4 bikes is 100lbs on the very light side, average around 125 lbs and trending upwards towards 150lbs. With the ~88 lb rack you are likely over 200lb which is significantly more than 160 Tesla rate as the “vertical load”.
If you have a bike close to 50lbs I wouldn’t add a second

You're right, I need to stick with a 2-3 bike system.

Another recommendation for the 1Up rack. If you have some heavy bikes, you can't go wrong with the Super Duty rack.

I have the Super Duty double and 2 extra add-ons, and carrying 4 bikes is no problem. I haven't tried it out on a Model Y yet (I will once I get my car, as I ordered the tow hitch with it), but here are some pictures of it on our Honda Pilot.

The 1Up racks are super sturdy and the build quality shows it. They're super easy to use and very fast to secure a bike on the rack. The only 2 downsides are the price, and it's really heavy when you have the add-on racks. If I take the 4-rack setup off the hitch, it's about 90-100 lbs to carry but I leave it with just 1 add-on attached to the double rack for 3 bikes, since I'm usually taking my bike and my kids' bikes. But driving on the freeway at 80mph with 4 bikes, it's solid and nothing moves at all.

1-UPrack-10.jpg

1-UPrack-07.jpg

1-UPrack-05.jpg

Appreciate the pictures, even if the weight wasn't a problem I wouldn't want that length of racks on the back of the MY. I'm going to stick with the 2 bike configuration and hope my kids enjoy riding in a Burley D Lite X Kids Trailer that should fit in the trunk.

Appreciate the pictures, even if the weight wasn't a problem I wouldn't want that length of racks on the back of the MY. I'm going to stick with the 2 bike configuration and hope my kids enjoy riding in a Burley D Lite X Kids Trailer that should fit in the trunk.

That configuration he has is 2, 3, or 4 bike.
(You can take the last two carriers off. )
I have 4 trays also. Usually only use 2.