Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR factory installed hitch bike rack recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That configuration he has is 2, 3, or 4 bike.
(You can take the last two carriers off. )
I have 4 trays also. Usually only use 2.

Correct. I have the double bike rack and 2 add-on pieces. Each add-on piece extends the rack by 1 more bike, and most of time I leave it in the 3-bike configuration since that's what I'm mostly using. I bought all of the pieces to make the 4-bike setup for those days when the entire family goes riding somewhere. The pictures I took above with the 4-rack setup was the first day I got everything and I wanted to see how it all looked. Yes it's long, but not much longer than other 4-bike racks out there. Plus each bike platform on the 1Up rack steps up higher than the one it's connected to, so the weight distribution is actually different on the tow hitch than if you had a flat 4-bike platform rack.

However in hindsight, I probably could've just bought the Super Duty single rack and used the 2 add-ons for a max of 3 bikes since that's what I'm mainly using (wife likes using her folding bike that fits in the back of the truck instead of her Super73 Z1). I now have a Super Duty Single rack on order right now so I can use that on my Model Y when I want to mtb'ing with friends or by myself out in the hills.

I don't think tongue weight applies here it's vertical load, which (according to the Manual) is 160 lbs.
my point was the Model Y tongue weight OEM hitch has the same 350lb tongue weight as that aftermarket option.

Regardless “Vertical load” isn’t a real thing in how Tesla are applying it in the manual.
Actually by definition tongue weight IS the vertical force capacity at the hitch.

Tesla are attempting to represent the torque applied at the hitch by applying weight at a moment arm extended from the hitch itself.

anyone has had experience with the tri-max tray? https://www.amazon.com/Road-Max-RMBR4-4-Bike-Carrier/dp/B010SX2UNI? It's light so should be able to deal with the weight of the 4 bikes.

That will certainly work, but the build quality isn't there like it is on some of the bigger brand names (1Up, Kuat, Thule, Yakima, etc). Me personally, after using different bike racks in the past, I see them now as an investment for as much I use them, but everyone's mileage may vary.

I know a guy here locally that has a similar 4-bike rack he bought from Amazon, same look & design but different company name. It works for his needs, but it's obvious that the rack is pretty flimsy when it's loaded up to the max with 4 bikes. I can see it bouncing around while he's driving, and that's just going around the parking lot and over some small bumps. I haven't seen how it looks on the freeway following him.

It does take him a lot more time to mount up and remove his bikes from the rack since he has to undo a lot of different tie-downs for each bike. But for him, the price was worth it and he's perfectly fine using it. It hasn't broken on him yet and that's really the main plus that he sees with his rack.

Reactions: JAM3S
4CA2BA7C-13AC-47D0-8745-899293F4FFE7.jpeg B9706F4E-A7CB-4D8D-8607-DB822570888D.jpeg EB7079B7-6ABA-4C62-A124-9E8E65BFFFDD.jpeg

Got a few messages about how close the rack was to the bumper and the fit and finish. It’s pretty good quality and it’s not too close to the bumper. Don’t have pics of bikes on but they are pretty sturdy strapped in from my road trip to San Diego and back.

Reactions: JAM3S
I think I’ve found the best solution for the Y (&X) hitch capacity challenge for bike lovers.
(cross posted in Model X bike rack thread)

The Saris SuperClamp EX 4.
5CE81634-9F16-496B-BEDD-2D46DF01C9AF.jpeg

5E97234A-E0FD-4C9E-A9AB-813AB9C9399F.jpeg

978AC9F2-8F7B-4448-A45C-7DEB3DA69F60.jpeg

43DFE2E6-3221-402E-ADF4-061146FBA3D4.jpeg

The rack sits super close to the car and the bikes sit closer also and it weighs 30-40% less than other 4 bike platform racks. Greatly reducing the torque on the Tesla hitch.
It folds up so low it can’t be seen through the rear window. So close in fact one of the Shepard arms needs to be folded out - pictured sticking out wide of the rear bumper ~1” whilst in the folded up position.

• Informative
Reactions: tbwnm and colea
I think I’ve found the best solution for the Y (&X) hitch capacity challenge for bike lovers.
(cross posted in Model X bike rack thread)

The Saris SuperClamp EX 4.
5CE81634-9F16-496B-BEDD-2D46DF01C9AF.jpeg

5E97234A-E0FD-4C9E-A9AB-813AB9C9399F.jpeg

978AC9F2-8F7B-4448-A45C-7DEB3DA69F60.jpeg

43DFE2E6-3221-402E-ADF4-061146FBA3D4.jpeg

The rack sits super close to the car and the bikes sit closer also and it weighs 30-40% less than other 4 bike platform racks. Greatly reducing the torque on the Tesla hitch.
It folds up so low it can’t be seen through the rear window. So close in fact one of the Shepard arms needs to be folded out - pictured sticking out wide of the rear bumper ~1” whilst in the folded up position.
Interesting. Can you open the rear hatch with the bikes loaded, or no?

Interesting. Can you open the rear hatch with the bikes loaded, or no?
There is a quick release safety pin (near the pivot), then an easy push handle release at the end of the rack to lower the bikes to be able to open the hatch.
I haven’t tried yet. But I _think_ I might be able to open the hatch without lowering the rack if there is no bike in the #1 spot. (Ie three bikes on the rack in #2/3/4 positions)

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
I have this Deluxe Quick Install Locking Hitch Bike Rack Allen 3-Bike rack for my Model 3 receiver hitch and it is perfect.
I got the same one but the 4-bike model from WalMart.

I got it because it was very easy to assemble, light weight (for easy removal because I don't want to keep the rack on the Y 24/7) and I could buy it locally and return if it didn't work out.

Took me like 15 minutes to put together (which I did while attached to the hitch) and can carry up to 140 lbs (which is why I bought the 4 bike unit so I can carry at least 2 ebikes).

Edit: I was considering buying platform style but those are actually heavier and bulkier than this one (only weighs 26 lbs)... and cost way more ($140 for this one).

Reactions: tbwnm
I got the same one but the 4-bike model from WalMart.

I got it because it was very easy to assemble, light weight (for easy removal because I don't want to keep the rack on the Y 24/7) and I could buy it locally and return if it didn't work out.

Took me like 15 minutes to put together (which I did while attached to the hitch) and can carry up to 140 lbs (which is why I bought the 4 bike unit so I can carry at least 2 ebikes).

Edit: I was considering buying platform style but those are actually heavier and bulkier than this one (only weighs 26 lbs)... and cost way more ($140 for this one).
For those don't who don't use their bike racks that much, the price is definitely right on this one. As you mentioned, would really need to get the 4 rack version to hold 140lbs for my 3 bikes (AdultFat Tire, Youth Mountain Bike and Women's Hybrid) combined weight around 110lb. How stable is it with 2 - 4 bikes loaded? Does it jump around a lot (for the price I'm not expecting it to be rock solid)?

Hollywood Racks offers the most flexible solution for my specific needs; (1) Fat Tire and (2) Mountain bikes with the 4 bike HR1400 and a Universal E-Bike Wheel Holder add on set. Problem again is the weight of the SE4 Comes in at 91.49 lbs. Which, if the support docs for the OEM hitch are indeed accurate and being interpreted correctly (160lbs as the vertical load limit and 350lb tongue weight I'm still a little fuzzy on this!) would make this rack to heavy once the bikes are added. Back to square one again....

Model Y Tow Package Support Docs:

"Carrying Accessories The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads up to 160 lbs (72 kg). When carrying bicycles, skis, or other items on the Model Y hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded"

Reactions: rxlawdude
With the recent $2K price reduction on the Model Y SR, I decided to add the factory hitch to my order mainly for transporting bikes. Would appreciate any recommendations for a bike rack that can hold (3) bikes. Specifically:

(1) Fat Tire (weight approx. 40lbs)
(1) Women's Hybrid (weight approx. 35lbs)
(1) Youth mountain bike (weight approx. 30lbs)

The Kuat Transfer V2 Hitch Bike Rack - 3-Bike, 2" Receiver looks like a good option. Does anyone have any experience with this model and the Tesla Model Y? Thanks!
I have this, and use it on my MY. Great bike rack, and I love how it easily it is to put the bikes on, and how easily it is too tilt back to access the hatch door. Reasonable price also.

Kuat Transfer was my original choice last year but then I ended up with a Rockymounts Monorail:

I had it on an S, not Y, but it’s a great rack.

For those don't who don't use their bike racks that much, the price is definitely right on this one. As you mentioned, would really need to get the 4 rack version to hold 140lbs for my 3 bikes (AdultFat Tire, Youth Mountain Bike and Women's Hybrid) combined weight around 110lb. How stable is it with 2 - 4 bikes loaded? Does it jump around a lot (for the price I'm not expecting it to be rock solid)?
I've been using it for over a month and it has been very solid. Being easy to take on and off is a plus and while it doesn't use a full hitch pin to lock into place, the pop-up stopper and locking hitch tightener ensure there is no wobble.

It should easily take your 3 bikes.

My only concern is because of the way my ebike's top bar is, it's sort of diagonal on the rack so the front tire is only about 18" off the ground. I'm thinking about getting a riser which would also allow me to open the trunk without having to use the tilt function of the rack.

• Informative
I've been using it for over a month and it has been very solid. Being easy to take on and off is a plus and while it doesn't use a full hitch pin to lock into place, the pop-up stopper and locking hitch tightener ensure there is no wobble.

It should easily take your 3 bikes.

My only concern is because of the way my ebike's top bar is, it's sort of diagonal on the rack so the front tire is only about 18" off the ground. I'm thinking about getting a riser which would also allow me to open the trunk without having to use the tilt function of the rack.
Also based on the Allen Sports 4 Premier locking reviews on Amazon the build quality and durability is hit and miss. Still, for the price this isn’t surprising.

Also based on the Allen Sports 4 Premier locking reviews on Amazon the build quality and durability is hit and miss. Still, for the price this isn’t surprising.
Yes. But I found the same hit and miss for many racks like Hollywood, Yakima etc and those were sometimes double or higher.

I think the main points for me was it was available locally, I could build it, test it and return it if there were issues and the lighter weight and smaller size makes it easy to take on and off.

I just wish the hitch cover was better thought out... that plastic piece was so hard to remove. I think it's okay to drive around with it open like that but I'm getting decorative hitch cover just to make it less ugly... I'm surprised no one makes a 2" Tesla hitch cover.