Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR factory installed hitch bike rack recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. But I found the same hit and miss for many racks like Hollywood, Yakima etc and those were sometimes double or higher.

I think the main points for me was it was available locally, I could build it, test it and return it if there were issues and the lighter weight and smaller size makes it easy to take on and off.

I just wish the hitch cover was better thought out... that plastic piece was so hard to remove. I think it's okay to drive around with it open like that but I'm getting decorative hitch cover just to make it less ugly... I'm surprised no one makes a 2" Tesla hitch cover.
I did the Living Tesla modification to mine - removing all but 4 of the clips and it's a snap (see what I did there?) to get on and off, and stayed put during last weekend's 500 mile road trip.

Yes. But I found the same hit and miss for many racks like Hollywood, Yakima etc and those were sometimes double or higher.

I think the main points for me was it was available locally, I could build it, test it and return it if there were issues and the lighter weight and smaller size makes it easy to take on and off.

I just wish the hitch cover was better thought out... that plastic piece was so hard to remove. I think it's okay to drive around with it open like that but I'm getting decorative hitch cover just to make it less ugly... I'm surprised no one makes a 2" Tesla hitch cover.
Tesla redesigned that cover, but it's unclear whether it would retrofit on the original version (which indeed sucks!).

I think I’ve found the best solution for the Y (&X) hitch capacity challenge for bike lovers.
(cross posted in Model X bike rack thread)

The Saris SuperClamp EX 4.
5CE81634-9F16-496B-BEDD-2D46DF01C9AF.jpeg

5E97234A-E0FD-4C9E-A9AB-813AB9C9399F.jpeg

978AC9F2-8F7B-4448-A45C-7DEB3DA69F60.jpeg

43DFE2E6-3221-402E-ADF4-061146FBA3D4.jpeg

The rack sits super close to the car and the bikes sit closer also and it weighs 30-40% less than other 4 bike platform racks. Greatly reducing the torque on the Tesla hitch.
It folds up so low it can’t be seen through the rear window. So close in fact one of the Shepard arms needs to be folded out - pictured sticking out wide of the rear bumper ~1” whilst in the folded up position.
I am really interested in this rack. It is at the top of my list due to it’s compactness for a 4 bike configuration.

Did you have any issues installing the hitch pin and lock? I have the tesla factory installed hitch and I have read of some issues installing the hitch pin and lock due to the location of the trailer electrical box.

Also have you had any issues with the Shepard’s hook having to be folded out when the rack is in the up position (i.e. does it move and come in contact with the car).

I am really interested in this rack. It is at the top of my list due to it’s compactness for a 4 bike configuration.

Did you have any issues installing the hitch pin and lock? I have the tesla factory installed hitch and I have read of some issues installing the hitch pin and lock due to the location of the trailer electrical box.

Also have you had any issues with the Shepard’s hook having to be folded out when the rack is in the up position (i.e. does it move and come in contact with the car).
Sorry I missed this weeks ago.

No problem with the shepards hook folded out. Have driven it for many weeks now and it doesn't bounce closer to the car at all. There is no way of affixing the hitch pin lock. No way. the pin itself is really simple to install and remove from the right side of the hitch. I googled for a low profile hitch pin lock for about 2 minutes then pushed it to the back burner. Love this rack. I can't load / unload as fast as my former Yakima HoldUp Evo, but I love everything else about the Saris.

I'm still looking for a (3) bike rack solution (one of these bikes is a Fat Tire). Have narrowed my search down to these two:

Saris Freedom 4-Bike
$599.99
Kuat Transfer V2 Hitch Bike Rack - 3-Bike, Receiver
$479

There are certainly superior racks out there but I can't justify paying closer to $1K for once in a while casual use bike rack that costs more than all my bikes are worth combined (however, those who have expensive bikes that they travel with regularly I appreciate its well worth the investment). These two seem to be the best value/build proposition for a wheel tray type rack design. The main issue is that everything bike related is still mostly out of stock. Hopefully the supply chain will open up soon!

I'm still looking for a (3) bike rack solution (one of these bikes is a Fat Tire). Have narrowed my search down to these two:

Saris Freedom 4-Bike
$599.99
Kuat Transfer V2 Hitch Bike Rack - 3-Bike, Receiver
$479

There are certainly superior racks out there but I can't justify paying closer to $1K for once in a while casual use bike rack that costs more than all my bikes are worth combined (however, those who have expensive bikes that they travel with regularly I appreciate its well worth the investment). These two seem to be the best value/build proposition for a wheel tray type rack design. The main issue is that everything bike related is still mostly out of stock. Hopefully the supply chain will open up soon!
I am using the Kuat Transfer V2 1 bike rack and plan to buy the 1 bike add-on when they are in stock again. I contacted Kuat twice, once before buying the rack and once after, and can't say enough good things about their customer service. There was a miscommunication the first time about whether a locking hitch pin was included with the rack. The person I spoke with led me to believe the 1 bike version came with one, and when I got back in touch with them after not finding it in the box they sent one to me for free.

I am using the Kuat Transfer V2 1 bike rack and plan to buy the 1 bike add-on when they are in stock again. I contacted Kuat twice, once before buying the rack and once after, and can't say enough good things about their customer service. There was a miscommunication the first time about whether a locking hitch pin was included with the rack. The person I spoke with led me to believe the 1 bike version came with one, and when I got back in touch with them after not finding it in the box they sent one to me for free.
I have the same rack and love it.

Good (or even basic!) customer service feel like its becoming increasingly rare so your experience with Kuat certainly puts them ahead of the competition for me.

I've been using it for over a month and it has been very solid. Being easy to take on and off is a plus and while it doesn't use a full hitch pin to lock into place, the pop-up stopper and locking hitch tightener ensure there is no wobble.

It should easily take your 3 bikes.

My only concern is because of the way my ebike's top bar is, it's sort of diagonal on the rack so the front tire is only about 18" off the ground. I'm thinking about getting a riser which would also allow me to open the trunk without having to use the tilt function of the rack.
does it always take 15 min to put on and off? I want something I use maybe once every few months so also stores well

The 1up and the Kuat NV 2.0 would be my picks.

I've been using the NV 2.0 in both 2 and 4 bike setup for a few years now. Also the optional repair stand is awesome. I use their repair stand daily and when we are on the trail I can throw it on the rack. The built in locks on the Kuat makes traveling easier too.

Any rack that is secure and easy to use.

The harder it is to use a rack, the less inclined you will be to go for a ride.
Hard to use racks make it easier to blow off taking a ride.

Just like bicycles, if you amortize the cost based on usage, the most expensive rack is the one that doesn't get used just like the most expensive bike (per mile) is the one that never gets ridden.

• Love
Reactions: a2t2 and rxlawdude
cheap bikes cheap rack, expensive bikes kuat or 1up ...
Well I have a Kuat and 2 very old hybrid road bikes. They are at least 30 years old! I will say that the Kuat's lifetime warranty is great. My son (who has the same rack in single version) was using mine and somehow managed to break the cam that tightens the rack against the inside of the hitch to prevent wobbling. On Monday, I sent Kuat an email with pics and yesterday, I received a new part gratis.

Reactions: Tedkidd