Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR gone from options and LR dropped 1K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scheduled a Model Y test drive for earlier today since I saw the price drop the other day, also got the email for my trade in from Tesla. Good thing I checked the forum before heading out and see that it's been removed. Otherwise I would have wasted going in to test drive.
It might not hurt to phone/text the test drive folks and tell them your situation to see if they might be able to get you a SR MY anyway...

Of course. I picked up my LR last Saturday.
Does anyone know if Tesla will honor price changes within a few days of pickup?

Has anyone successfully reached out to Tesla and get the price change difference back?
Took delivery of LR last Sunday. Called delivery center and no luck getting price adjustment. Tried 888 number and no luck getting anyone on the phone except getting looped back to local sales location.

Please let me know which auto manufacturers would honor a price decrease AFTER you've taken delivery....?

None. But Tesla does not honor what they put in writing at times even before the sale is completed. I can assure you that they go back on their word even with written agreements. They will force you to go to court before they will be accountable which is why they have an arbitration clause. They will say "sorry" we can no longer do that. Never had that from any other auto maker. As slimy as it gets and there are plenty of people that know exactly what I'm talking about including front-line Tesla employees. Before the Model 3 Tesla was the best CS car company I have ever bought from, now worse than a used car lot. All is great unless you have a real concern or issue. They even have an intern that has no legal background to appease such legitimate requests and to do nothing but gather info to help Tesla. They could care less, until it is in the media or in court.

It might not hurt to phone/text the test drive folks and tell them your situation to see if they might be able to get you a SR MY anyway...

Model Y was going to be for my Dad's 70th birthday next month, he doesn't drive much anymore and have been excited to have one since I got my LR M3 last year. I thought I'd surprised him with a SR MY. I take this as a sign to wait for the Green Act to come through and get a long range instead later or whenever it passes.

The most plausible explanation for dropping the YSR is that the pending $7k GREEN Act tax credit is going to be approved and will be announced imminently. This will bring the effective cost down of the YLR down to $42K which is only $3K more than the last YSR price. Most consumers in the market for a Tesla are going to go for the LR at this price and it doesn’t make sense from a business or manufacturing point of view to offer the SR. Unfortunately, this doesn’t help those who don’t have the mimimim $7K tax liability needed to take full advantage of the tax rebate. Realistically (and I’m not saying this makes it right!), Tesla is not marketing to those demographics anyway. EV’s are still too expensive for most of the population. However, now the race is really on with other manufacturers to provide affordable EV’s for the masses, within a couple of years the landscape will be completely different and the average person will be driving a sub $25K EV with 300+ miles of range.

Last edited:
The most plausible explanation for dropping the YSR is that the pending $7k tax credit is going to be approved and will be announced imminently. This will bring the effective cost down of the YLR down to $42K which is only $3K more than the the YSR. Most consumers in the market for a Tesla are going to go for the LR at this price and it doesn’t make sense from a business or manufacturing point of view to offer the SR. Unfortunately, this doesn’t help those who don’t have the mimimim $7K tax liability needed to take full advantage of the tax rebate. Realistically (and I’m not saying this makes it right!) Tesla is not marketing to those demographics anyway. EV’s are still too expensive for most of the population. However, now the race is really on with other manufacturers to provide affordable EV’s for the masses, within a couple of years the landscape will be completely different and the average person will be driving a sub $25K EV with 300+ miles of range.
I’m not a policy buff but I personally don’t understand how that would be possible. Congress is still wrapping up the stimulus bill. The Green Act likely is weeks, if not months away assuming no other distractions. Would like to hear from others more educated on it though.

Reactions: tierneyalvin
The most plausible explanation for dropping the YSR is that the pending $7k GREEN Act tax credit is going to be approved and will be announced imminently. This will bring the effective cost down of the YLR down to $42K which is only $3K more than the last YSR price. Most consumers in the market for a Tesla are going to go for the LR at this price and it doesn’t make sense from a business or manufacturing point of view to offer the SR. Unfortunately, this doesn’t help those who don’t have the mimimim $7K tax liability needed to take full advantage of the tax rebate. Realistically (and I’m not saying this makes it right!), Tesla is not marketing to those demographics anyway. EV’s are still too expensive for most of the population. However, now the race is really on with other manufacturers to provide affordable EV’s for the masses, within a couple of years the landscape will be completely different and the average person will be driving a sub $25K EV with 300+ miles of range.

If someone does not owe at least 7k in taxes they really should not be in the market for 48,000 dollar cars.

If someone does not owe at least 7k in taxes they really should not be in the market for 48,000 dollar cars.

That's a bit presumptive. Some people do not have tax obligations due to losses and some are retired and have cash but no income. So they should not be in the market for a $48K car even if they can pay for it in cash? That's sensible logic.

That's a bit presumptive. Some people do not have tax obligations due to losses and some are retired and have cash but no income. So they should not be in the market for a $48K car even if they can pay for it in cash? That's sensible logic.[/

Your loss scenario is possible but not likely unless your Trump. The retired scenario is the same. Most people in retirement still have significant tax obligations as they draw SS, pensions and money from 401k’s. I also find many people don’t understand how a tax credit works. Your tax withholdings are irrelevant. All that matters is federal tax due not what you will owe or be refunded after filing.