Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR gone from options and LR dropped 1K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are right there. But the other possibility is there were such high demand, they figured they remove it for now until they catch up on production? Or maybe they realized 39K was not enough margin on the model Y given its recent upgrades? Or like other people had said, it might be because the SR model Y is too limiting in REAL WORLD range they decided to cut to prevent customer backlash. Or it is a combo of all these reasons. However I doubt it is the high demand reason because if someone wanted the SR, they would've picked it up. $2K usually isn't a deal maker for a car in this price range.

My speculations:

- Lower price for trim level until QTR quota is reached (SR, now LR).
- Raise price for trim (Performance without 7 seat option), to get order for LR wanting 7 seats, until QTR quota is reached

- Because there are new significant change saved for next QTR, like LR RWD trim, New Battery config, Air Suspension for LR/P, or 7 seat option for P or any combination these significant change.

Without announcing them to avoid the Osborne Effect :eek:

Well just like that and my account now reflects the $1k reduction. Guess the system is just working through orders on hand maybe.
That is so weird. My account partially reflects the price change. The price breakdown is correct, but my total car price is the same. The loan shows a reduced monthly payment, but now I have to pay another $800 more for the down payment.

Attachments

• 042B1D44-E08F-497A-82C1-CA929FC51815.jpeg
    042B1D44-E08F-497A-82C1-CA929FC51815.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Funny
Reactions: tierneyalvin
That is so weird. My account partially reflects the price change. The price breakdown is correct, but my total car price is the same. The loan shows a reduced monthly payment, but now I have to pay another $800 more for the down payment.
My account showed the same thing, and in the past 30 minutes or so, the total car price was updated. I assume it is just taking some time for Tesla's system to update for everyone.

So I placed an order at the higher price (order agreement reflects that), then Tesla lowers price and I now have that adjustment in my task and cost breakdown profile.

If Tesla raises the price back up before I take delivery, would I move back to the higher price of my order agreement? Should we be asking about an updated order agreement?

Your post has been picked up and is spreading like wildfire on Reddit and Facebook, literally standing by itself as an official statement from Tesla.

Glad I left name/location out of it.

I think its great how proactive Tesla CSRs are at keeping potential customers informed about their product line, especially when something like this occurs and buying one of the remaining on-the-lot SR RWD MYs will require a swift decision by those interested. I suspect that people waiting for congress to make a decision on potentially extending the tax credit just had their minds made up for them.

Sounds a little far fetched to me that they could do that with already produced cars with assigned VIN numbers.

I think it has to do with lower than expected demand, small margins, and range performance. Tesla is known for their range (though inflated), the SR kind of drags down their reputation especially with some of the winter performance complaints.

I honestly think they had an over inventory of LR AWD Y's....so to sell them all at a profit they are removing the front motors...that would explain why the interior was not downgraded and the limited time availability of the SR Y.

Just received this SMS from a Tesla CSR I've been working with for a month or so:

"I have urgent updates for you! We no longer offer the custom standard range RWD Model Y anymore and we can only offer what's left in our inventory and are only honoring orders for those who already placed their deposits."

When I asked if that meant a LR RWD MY could be imminent:

"No - they told us a month ago that they are definitely not making that version."

If the Tesla CSR is correct and the SR Y is no more... seems like kind of a bad idea to take delivery at this point, right? What kind of implications could there be after warranty expires? I have one ordered and was planning on keeping it until the drivetrain wears out. Range is acceptable for our case. If for some reason we did want to sell it sooner, would that affect resale? Tesla hasn’t been as impacted by tanking resale value like the Leafs and Bolts have, but for such a weird production...

• Funny
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
Sounds a little far fetched to me that they could do that with already produced cars with assigned VIN numbers.

I think it has to do with lower than expected demand, small margins, and range performance. Tesla is known for their range (though inflated), the SR kind of drags down their reputation especially with some of the winter performance complaints.
It was just a thought. I mean it's what I would do if I had a lot of inventory to sell lol. Besides don't they have a 60 day window from production to report on the Vin? Meaning if the cars were made in Nov, Dec they would have until Jan, Feb to report the details of the VIN like Model name and features?

If the Tesla CSR is correct and the SR Y is no more... seems like kind of a bad idea to take delivery at this point, right? What kind of implications could there be after warranty expires? I have one ordered and was planning on keeping it until the drivetrain wears out. Range is acceptable for our case. If for some reason we did want to sell it sooner, would that affect resale? Tesla hasn’t been as impacted by tanking resale value like the Leafs and Bolts have, but for such a weird production...

It should be fine and may be worth more later if they bring back the SR Y with reduced interior. At least your has the full premium interior of the LR.