Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR gone from options and LR dropped 1K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This whole SR discontinuation deal is just so bizarre. Anyway if this is all confirmed, I am just glad I have placed an order for the Y SR a couple of weeks ago because here in Quebec after provincial incentives (8000$ CAD for the SR - the LR did not make the cut) and the big exchange rate delta between the Y SR and Y LR (5%), the price jump from Y SR to LR after taxes ends up at 23755$ CAD or close to 19000 $ USD. The Y SR was an incredible value here.

Reactions: Wilber
Has anyone's LR w/FSD price been reduced by $1k? Mine still has the same as of tonight.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 69
Seems like it was the unfortunate perfect storm with lower demand from people waiting for updated features and the Green Act potential.

It would be nice if they just said they’re temporarily shutting down that SR production line to concentrate on the LR and MYP due to lower demand. Then leave the door open for a reintroduction later on.

I was hoping to order a SR MY at some point this year as it is perfect for me, the extra storage of the Y with enough range for my needs (my commute to work is not long at all and I do not go on road trips / rarely go on long distance drives I wouldn't be able to do both ways that I would need to charge the SR or charge more than once) but it looks like that won't be happening. Maybe this might end up being a blessing in disguise, I am hopeful for the $7k tax credit to go through and if so I will probably just end up getting the LR AWD as the $7k credit would make the price difference much more manageable. I keep considering a SR+ M3 instead for the lower price but I really can't go back to not having a hatchback, coming from a CR-V and having found the large storage space to be very important to me in a car I feel like I would have a tough time going to the M3 which, while not having a tiny amount of storage, I prefer the larger volume to fit things like band equipment comfortably in one trip.

I am sure there were a good amount of people who are in my boat who were planning on getting a SR MY at some point who now can not, I just find it incredibly strange how short production was. Sure Tesla might have seen there wasn't as much demand for the SR but I can't imagine basing the entire lifetime of a new trim off 2 months of orders. Maybe a SR+ MY a la the SR+ M3 could be in the works, or even a LR RWD MY (which would probably be my choice of trim if it ever came to exist) could be something they're working on even though they repeatedly claim they are not making one, but I am not holding my breath for that to happen sadly. I just find it so strange how quickly they have apparently killed off the SR MY, I feel like it could have been Tesla's best bet for getting more customers as an affordable electric hatchback for families. Maybe I'll have to call up my local Tesla location and ask them about any existing inventory they have and push my purchase up, but I feel like I should just wait it out and see what their plan with this decision is if there will be anything to replace this trim or if they're only going to produce and sell the LR MY or MYP.

Just checked my SR MY order. They did indeed drop the base price to 39,990. I've heard the 7-seaters will take longer, which is perfect in my book. Gives a bit more time for the green-act to be approved. Really hoping to be able to double-dip.

imgur.com

IH58T2y

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 5.39.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 5.39.31 PM.png
    476.4 KB · Views: 49
Anyone else notice this? The SR is gone from the Model Y order page and the LR base price has dropped 1k .

If one has ordered a LR, but not taken delivery, anyone know if Tesla will adjust the 1k price?
I picked up my LR Y today. Signed papers online a couple days ago and was pleasantly surprised that I had to sign again today as they dropped my price automatically.

Do you have any expected delivery date range? I ordered on Feb 12th but changed configuration to 7 seater on Feb 16th. Price and loan details updated but no delivery date range.

Nope - any sort of expected delivery date now seems to be missing. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I’d actually prefer that. The longer the better. Because then we have a better shot at double dipping with the green-act tax credit (if approved).

Tesla SA in Atlanta told me the SR was discontinued due to low demand, that simple. Also added that the price decrease was designed to clear out pre-built inventory.

She also mentioned that since the discontinuation was announced today, they’ve had more interest in the SR model than they’ve had since it was introduced in January

The plot thickens . I placed an order for the YSR here in SoCal at the end of January but asked my sales advisor to put it on hold until the updated console rolls out officially (I think to do a hold they tag the order internally as “ineligible” with a note as to why and then they can release the order as eligible at any time without loosing your place in the que but I’m not sure). I believe a fair number of buyers were waiting on ordering (or had orders on hold) either the SR or LR Y for some or all of the Made In China updates and I have to believe Tesla would be aware that this is negatively effecting demand across the board for Q1. It’s evident that Q1 2021 is very much a production transition period in the US for the Y (they have already introduced the heated steering wheel, auto dimming mirrors and USB in the glove box during this period). It’s also clear that the main delay with the transition is that Tesla can’t simply stop manufacturing on their bred and butter vehicles for any period of time for the US market in order to update the line in Fremont (thankfully this will all change once Giga Texas is up an running). Until then, they are still in “Production Hell” and every minute on the line counts if they are going to meet their guidance numbers in the US market (they have made big commitment to share holders on how many Y’s they are going to deliver going forward!).

I maintain that for those who don’t require the additional 80 mile range, the YSR is an attractive value at only $3K higher (after the recent price drops) than a Model 3SR+ and $10K less than the YLR. Be interesting to see if they do in fact deliver any YSR’s on order before the discontinuation with the updated console or any of the outstanding MIC updates. If not, I’ll have to decide if I want to take delivery of the YSR with the old console. Personally, I found the piano glossy center console with the pop up lid on our 2019 Model 3 impractical and quite annoying in daily use (not to mention could never keep it clean) but it’s not a deal breaker for me. This may be my only choice if I want to take delivery of a YSR. Hopefully will know more in the next week or so.

Last edited:
This whole SR discontinuation deal is just so bizarre. Anyway if this is all confirmed, I am just glad I have placed an order for the Y SR a couple of weeks ago because here in Quebec after provincial incentives (8000$ CAD for the SR - the LR did not make the cut) and the big exchange rate delta between the Y SR and Y LR (5%), the price jump from Y SR to LR after taxes ends up at 23755$ CAD or close to 19000 $ USD. The Y SR was an incredible value here.

I'm in the same boat, I put in an order for the MY SR beginning of February. My delivery date is March 8.

I couldn't justify the $24K price increase from the SR to LR

Reactions: fiveofus and Etna
Wow, this is moving way too fast. It’s starting to look like someone isn’t thinking their decisions through properly before executing.
I was talking to someone who was getting ready to buy the SR Y. They are going to be heart broken.

Also, my SR’s range has been more than acceptable in this brutal Canadian winter so far.
I just picked up my SR Y. I got the 2K discount and appear to have been VERY lucky in my timing.