Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR gone from options and LR dropped 1K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think it’s one or the other. I don’t think they let you pick and choose the lowest cost option for each feature. They don’t let you pick the FSD for 8k back then and add it to the MSRP from now. They keep you at the lowest config, either from before or from now.

I have a LR as well. Ordered a while ago with the 8k self driving and it does not show an updated $1k price decrease. Is that even something the SA can adjust? My concern is they adjust it and now the FSD is 10k screwing me over.

"If someone does not owe at least 7k in taxes they really should not be in the market for 48,000 dollar cars" That is just nonsense. I know many people in this position, you assume people that are retired live a certain way or do not have tax shelters, corporations, etc. Not to mention many people have business losses one year and large gains the next. I had a business loss the other year are you saying I should not be in the market for a Tesla? Your statement is a pure generalizations based on your experience. Many people are VERY wealthy with significant income and pay under $3k in taxes a year. A large number of those people buy Teslas. These people are not cheating on taxes either but you may be shocked at what some tax returns look like. Your directive wold cost many sales to Tesla. I just canceled my two Tesla orders based on your insight. I'm sure Tesla will bring the SR back after they add the air suspension Elon swore would not happen but will because it will not be "air".

"If someone does not owe at least 7k in taxes they really should not be in the market for 48,000 dollar cars" That is just nonsense. I know many people in this position, you assume people that are retired live a certain way or do not have tax shelters, corporations, etc. Not to mention many people have business losses one year and large gains the next. I had a business loss the other year are you saying I should not be in the market for a Tesla? Your statement is a pure generalizations based on your experience. Many people are VERY wealthy with significant income and pay under $3k in taxes a year. A large number of those people buy Teslas. These people are not cheating on taxes either but you may be shocked at what some tax returns look like. Your directive wold cost many sales to Tesla. I just canceled my two Tesla orders based on your insight. I'm sure Tesla will bring the SR back after they add the air suspension Elon swore would not happen but will because it will not be "air".

I have no doubt everything you say is correct. I am in what most would consider high income and I pay a substantial amount of taxes each year. I would bet that 98% of purchasers will qualify for the rebate. If you are in a mid to high 6 figure income and have managed things such that you don’t pay taxes good for you! I won’t however feel bad that you don’t get the rebate.
I was once involved with qualifying people for loans with businesses or self employed. It was often funny watching them try and explain how they were losing money year after year on their income tax forms but had plenty of cash for payments on a 2 million dollar home.
Our entire tax system and structure is so biased to the rich it’s incomprehensible that we can’t get it fixed. The current system heavily punishes the 100,000 to 300,000 earners. To quote Leona Helmsley “Taxes, I don’t pay taxes, taxes are for the little people”!
In summary it’s a crime that as you describe very wealthy people with substantial incomes pay under 3000 a year in taxes and a family making 100,000 a year and trying to send 3 kids to college is paying 20,000 in taxes.

I have no doubt everything you say is correct. I am in what most would consider high income and I pay a substantial amount of taxes each year. I would bet that 98% of purchasers will qualify for the rebate. If you are in a mid to high 6 figure income and have managed things such that you don’t pay taxes good for you! I won’t however feel bad that you don’t get the rebate.
I was once involved with qualifying people for loans with businesses or self employed. It was often funny watching them try and explain how they were losing money year after year on their income tax forms but had plenty of cash for payments on a 2 million dollar home.
Our entire tax system and structure is so biased to the rich it’s incomprehensible that we can’t get it fixed. The current system heavily punishes the 100,000 to 300,000 earners. To quote Leona Helmsley “Taxes, I don’t pay taxes, taxes are for the little people”!
In summary it’s a crime that as you describe very wealthy people with substantial incomes pay under 3000 a year in taxes and a family making 100,000 a year and trying to send 3 kids to college is paying 20,000 in taxes.

Tax system is BS for most just quoting your definitive statement. Many people even move money form a SEP to ta ROTH to get the tax obligation.

To confirm I found out my existing order of Model Y SR+ will be fulfilled. Since we also have a long range Model X I see no reason to spend an additional $9k for 80 miles of range. Also in my state property taxes are less for the standard range model along with sales tax. I am hoping the $7K if passed will apply to all sales in 2021. Not to mention the tax credit is a double edged sword. Yes it will ultimately reduce the price of a new Tesla but it will also reduce the value of my 2019 Model 3.

HFC it worked! As I posted yesterday, I still had the Model Y SR page loaded. Last night I went as far as filling in my cc and other info but didn't place order. So today I threw caution to the wind and clicked it. My order was confirmed!

Worst case, I just threw $100 away. :D

Best case, tax credit goes into effect before I take delivery.

Nope - any sort of expected delivery date now seems to be missing. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I’d actually prefer that. The longer the better. Because then we have a better shot at double dipping with the green-act tax credit (if approved).

I wouldn't worry about delivery date. When I ordered my LRY originally the delivery date was like 9 weeks, so I thought I had plenty of time. I got called pretty quickly with a VIN, which I refused, as it was too soon. BTW it's ok if you do that apparently. Then the SRY came out and I immediately called and changed my order.... which apparently is also ok. I could well afford the LRY, but I literally drive 2 miles a day if that unless I go to Costco, which is like 25 miles each way and a huge ordeal.... and it's like 80-90 degrees 365... plus I leased, so it's Elon's problem when I'm done.

Many of my friends have Teslas, but I get bragging rights on a sub $40K model Y.

Anyway, when I got a VIN, I eventually got a delivery date, then the date went away, then it changed, went away again, etc. but the VIN never changed.

Sooo, in my experience, not having a delivery date didn't really mean much, at least here in Hawaii. BTW, the VIN just appeared on my account one day, nobody called me or anything. I just happened to be on the account page trying to decide if I should change my color.

The plot thickens . I placed an order for the YSR here in SoCal at the end of January but asked my sales advisor to put it on hold until the updated console rolls out officially (I think to do a hold they tag the order internally as “ineligible” with a note as to why and then they can release the order as eligible at any time without loosing your place in the que but I’m not sure). I believe a fair number of buyers were waiting on ordering (or had orders on hold) either the SR or LR Y for some or all of the Made In China updates and I have to believe Tesla would be aware that this is negatively effecting demand across the board for Q1. It’s evident that Q1 2021 is very much a production transition period in the US for the Y (they have already introduced the heated steering wheel, auto dimming mirrors and USB in the glove box during this period). It’s also clear that the main delay with the transition is that Tesla can’t simply stop manufacturing on their bred and butter vehicles for any period of time for the US market in order to update the line in Fremont (thankfully this will all change once Giga Texas is up an running). Until then, they are still in “Production Hell” and every minute on the line counts if they are going to meet their guidance numbers in the US market (they have made big commitment to share holders on how many Y’s they are going to deliver going forward!).

I maintain that for those who don’t require the additional 80 mile range, the YSR is an attractive value at only $3K higher (after the recent price drops) than a Model 3SR+ and $10K less than the YLR. Be interesting to see if they do in fact deliver any YSR’s on order before the discontinuation with the updated console or any of the outstanding MIC updates. If not, I’ll have to decide if I want to take delivery of the YSR with the old console. Personally, I found the piano glossy center console with the pop up lid on our 2019 Model 3 impractical and quite annoying in daily use (not to mention could never keep it clean) but it’s not a deal breaker for me. This may be my only choice if I want to take delivery of a YSR. Hopefully will know more in the next week or so.

According to my sales advisor today:

"We were informed in our newsletter that all existing SRY orders will be fulfilled. Given that inventory is slim it would make no sense to upset all these people that ordered a vehicle a month ago and have been waiting. People have leases ending and need their vehicle orders fulfilled".

My YSR has been on hold since I placed it at the end of January for the new center console and the best chance of seeing that on the YSR is closer to the end of March (end of the Q1). However, despite the information in the newsletter above, I told me sales advisor today to go ahead and put my order through now. I just can’t see Tesla doing a special manufacturing run to supply a few leftover YSR builds already on order (especially given Elon just tweeted today as one of the reasons for cancelling the YSR was "we have too much product complexity already"). I also can't be sure I will see any YSR’s with the new console and don't want t take the risk that Tesla will just cancel my order once inventory runs out (Tesla had no compunction canceling the RWD LR Y after some people had this on order for 2 years, although granted they never actually manufactured this car!). I can live with the old console and lights and I'll count myself fortunate that I got to save an additional $2K on the YSR. Although I would love the additional range and AWD, with the limited miles I do on average and the temperate climate here in Southern California I just can't justify the $10K price premium of the LR AWD at this time.

My wife is looking for her first EV after I bought an M3 LR-AWD, and was interested in the Standard Range Model Y. Prior to Tesla withdrawing the cheapest version of the car, we felt they offered a compelling reason NOT to look at the Ford Mach-E or the VW ID-4, both of which inhabit the same price class before tax incentives for small SUVs. Now that Tesla has essentially walked away from the sub-$50k market, they have created ample space for these competitors to take hold in the marketplace. This doesn't make sense to me.