Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR has 980 Motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the reason Tesla is not selling a software 980 motor unlock to performance power is due to the four possibilities:

1-cars with 980 motors with owners willing to spend on the upgrade. Best scenario. Money made, happy customer.

2-cars with 980 motors but owners not willing to pay for the upgrade. Lost opportunity. Still a (hopefully) happy customer though.

3-cars with 990 motors with owners willing to upgrade. Also missed opportunity, but also creates a potentially angry customer.

4-cars with 990 motors with owners not willing to upgrade. Thankfully this group had the 990 motor.

So with four possibilities and only one that leads to profit and another that leads to a potential angry customer, you can see why Tesla isn’t offering it.

I think the reason Tesla is not selling a software 980 motor unlock to performance power is due to the four possibilities:

1-cars with 980 motors with owners willing to spend on the upgrade. Best scenario. Money made, happy customer.

2-cars with 980 motors but owners not willing to pay for the upgrade. Lost opportunity. Still a (hopefully) happy customer though.

3-cars with 990 motors with owners willing to upgrade. Also missed opportunity, but also creates a potentially angry customer.

4-cars with 990 motors with owners not willing to upgrade. Thankfully this group had the 990 motor.

So with four possibilities and only one that leads to profit and another that leads to a potential angry customer, you can see why Tesla isn’t offering it.
5 - ticked off MYP customers who paid a premium, pissed that someone who paid $20,000 less can get almost the same performance.

Just checked my March 2021 build SR Y and it has a 980 motor in the rear as well. I did not have to take the wheel off. I could see the plate through the spokes of the rim.

So since there is no performance 'unlock' option I guess the only real benefit is it will be more reliable since 'flooring it' will not take it anywhere near it's design capabilities?

Just checked my March 2021 build SR Y and it has a 980 motor in the rear as well. I did not have to take the wheel off. I could see the plate through the spokes of the rim.

So since there is no performance 'unlock' option I guess the only real benefit is it will be more reliable since 'flooring it' will not take it anywhere near it's design capabilities?
There is an aftermarket part that can give your your 0-60 a bit quicker, .6 to be exact, which will make it as fast as the Dual Motor in a 0-60(A .1 faster to be exact). Now the product is for a Model 3, I’m not sure if it will work on Model Y. It probably will. You can always contact them if you’re interested. Some of the 980 motor Model 3 SR owners have it on these forums.

BTW, I’m a bit skeptical that the Model Y SR does 0-60 as the SR+, which is also 5.3 seconds. I have both cars, my Model 3 feels much quicker. Then again, people do say the SR+ is around 5.0 or in the high 4. There are videos showing that.

Reactions: davenlei
There is an aftermarket part that can give your your 0-60 a bit quicker, .6 to be exact, which will make it as fast as the Dual Motor in a 0-60(A .1 faster to be exact). Now the product is for a Model 3, I’m not sure if it will work on Model Y. It probably will. You can always contact them if you’re interested. Some of the 980 motor Model 3 SR owners have it on these forums.

BTW, I’m a bit skeptical that the Model Y SR does 0-60 as the SR+, which is also 5.3 seconds. I have both cars, my Model 3 feels much quicker. Then again, people do say the SR+ is around 5.0 or in the high 4. There are videos showing that.
Thank you for this info! I thought the SR Y is 5.5 seconds 0-60 normally?

I have sent an email to ingenext to see if the single motor 3 kit (980) will also work on the single motor (980) Y. I will report back here when I get a response.

Last edited:
Thank you for this info! I thought the SR Y is 5.5 seconds 0-60 normally?

I have sent an email to ingenext to see if the single motor 3 kit (980) will also work on the single motor (980) Y. I will report back here when I get a response.
Sounds good. But it is 5.3, unless you’re in Canada.

tesla-model-y-RWD.jpg

I know this discussion is more on the SR Y motor, but I was digging through EPA CoC and applications and found this tidbit on the 2022 LR and P MY.
1645918540468.png

Type 1 is rear LR, Type 2 rear P, Type 3 front P, Type 4 front LR. Appears that Tesla is intentionally putting a more powerful motor in the rear of the LR. Total output 291kW for LR and 312kW for P. Not sure how this relates to the 980 vs 990 discussion but it puts specs on what is installed.

And this for the SR MY.
1645918992003.png

More power than the rear motors in the 2 dual motor versions.

LR/P M3
1645919104331.png

Type 1 is rear P, Type 2 rear LR, Type 3 front LR, Type 4 front P. Appears that Tesla is intentionally putting a more powerful motor in the rear of the LR. Total output 293kW for LR and 321kW for P. Not sure how this relates to the 980 vs 990 discussion but it puts specs on what is installed (both configs more powerful than comparable MY).

And this for SR M3.
1645918873014.png

Just need to compare with known part numbers to see if any conclusions can be drawn.

I know this discussion is more on the SR Y motor, but I was digging through EPA CoC and applications and found this tidbit on the 2022 LR and P MY.
View attachment 774211
Type 1 is rear LR, Type 2 rear P, Type 3 front P, Type 4 front LR. Appears that Tesla is intentionally putting a more powerful motor in the rear of the LR. Total output 291kW for LR and 312kW for P. Not sure how this relates to the 980 vs 990 discussion but it puts specs on what is installed.

And this for the SR MY.
View attachment 774214
More power than the rear motors in the 2 dual motor versions.

LR/P M3
View attachment 774216
Type 1 is rear P, Type 2 rear LR, Type 3 front LR, Type 4 front P. Appears that Tesla is intentionally putting a more powerful motor in the rear of the LR. Total output 293kW for LR and 321kW for P. Not sure how this relates to the 980 vs 990 discussion but it puts specs on what is installed (both configs more powerful than comparable MY).

And this for SR M3.
View attachment 774213
Just need to compare with known part numbers to see if any conclusions can be drawn.
Is there anything I could do to help since I’ve got a SR MY with a 980 motor and SR+(990 motor)?

Is there anything I could do to help since I’ve got a SR MY with a 980 motor and SR+(990 motor)?
Haha, I could have done it myself a month ago. Now I can compare SR Y with LR Y.

I don't know if there is any reason to compile all the part numbers from actual cars, it will just tell you what is software controlled output. It seems that the SR Y with 209kw output vs SR 3 with 191kw output should have a lot less range than it does. Higher output makes sense with the same 0-60 specs (pre-lfp) but the range number is baffling. Would expect it to be a lot less due to aero, weight and higher power output.

Haha, I could have done it myself a month ago. Now I can compare SR Y with LR Y.

I don't know if there is any reason to compile all the part numbers from actual cars, it will just tell you what is software controlled output. It seems that the SR Y with 209kw output vs SR 3 with 191kw output should have a lot less range than it does. Higher output makes sense with the same 0-60 specs (pre-lfp) but the range number is baffling. Would expect it to be a lot less due to aero, weight and higher power output.
That’s right, you swapped your SR+ for the LR.

But you know what’s funny is that I get better range with my SRMY than I do with my SR+. But then again, my SRMY is base whereas my SR+ has the 19’s and it drives more sporty.

Thanks for pointing this out. I just verified the same on my car. Did need to jack it up.. but now that I know where to look it’s possible that’s not even needed. I could absolutely read the numbers clearly just using a flashlight. Taking off the wheel was not needed.

2B766F6A-FC8B-4BEF-A393-7652E5A9266F.jpeg

March 12th, 2021 build of MYSR for anyone looking for data points.

I guess now begs the question everyone else has in this thread. What can I do with it lol?

I always felt like my car was bit more powerful than the advertised 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds and this kinda proves it. The reason why is that at the time.. the MYSR and M3SR+ (Model 3 Standard Range Plus) both advertised a 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds. However the MYSR weighs almost 400lbs heavier. Meaning the Y is literally about 10% heavier than the 3.

How does a vehicle carrying the added weight of 2-3 grown adults.. with the exact same powertrain of the M3SR+.. have the exact same acceleration curve? Something had to be off. The significantly heavier vehicle should be flat-out slower. Unless acceleration was somehow limited by software on either of the two vehicles.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RedWhite19
Thanks for pointing this out. I just verified the same on my car. Did need to jack it up.. but now that I know where to look it’s possible that’s not even needed. I could absolutely read the numbers clearly just using a flashlight. Taking off the wheel was not needed.

View attachment 775363

March 12th, 2021 build of MYSR for anyone looking for data points.

I guess now begs the question everyone else has in this thread. What can I do with it lol?

I always felt like my car was bit more powerful than the advertised 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds and this kinda proves it. The reason why is that at the time.. the MYSR and M3SR+ (Model 3 Standard Range Plus) both advertised a 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds. However the MYSR weighs almost 400lbs heavier. Meaning the Y is literally about 10% heavier than the 3.

How does a vehicle carrying the added weight of 2-3 grown adults.. with the exact same powertrain of the M3SR+.. have the exact same acceleration curve? Something had to be off. The significantly heavier vehicle should be flat-out slower. Unless acceleration was somehow limited by software on either of the two vehicles.
This all makes sense but also brings range into question. More powerful motor, 400# more weight (10%), worse aerodynamics and only 7% less range. Something doesn't add up.