Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR has 980 Motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This all makes sense but also brings range into question. More powerful motor, 400# more weight (10%), worse aerodynamics and only 7% less range. Something doesn't add up.
That one is little bit easier to explain. Weight doesnt affect range as much as you think it would, that said it definitely affects acceleration. "Range" is also a function of the EPA testing.. which lets be real probably isnt tested beyond 55mph where aerodynamics would come into play.

If they were testing at 70mph I would imagine the aero effect between the two would definitely be noticeable.

Last edited:
That one is little bit easier to explain. Weight doesnt affect range as much as you think it would, that said it definitely affects acceleration. "Range" is also a function of the EPA testing.. which lets be real probably isnt tested beyond 55mph where aerodynamics would come into play.

If they were testing at 70mph I would imagine the aero effect between the two would definitely be noticeable.
It's tested on a dyno which has no penalty for aerodynamics. However, it would seem that aero should be factored in to the adjustment factor.

You know this is about the motor in the SR Y correct?

From what I read in another thread here on TMC, the SRMY might have a MYP engine in the back. This is why it states that it does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds.

Post #7