Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR owners, how's the real world range of the SR working out for you? Chime in and let us know. pros & cons.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just wanted to get actual MY SR owner's experience with the range of the SR. How does it meet your original expectation? Still waiting on my VIN, ordered on 1/24/21. West Coast end of quarter delivery is what we're hoping for. Cheers!

My order was placed Feb 3 and I picked up my MY SR on Feb 12. Originally the order said 2/6 weeks
so was very surprised to get such an early delivery. I am in Canada, a little over and hours drive north of Toronto.
My car was built on Jan 25. It was shipped from Fremont after the order was placed.

I installed a 240 volt electrical supply in my garage which dramatically improved charging over the standard 120v house plug.
What took over 24 hrs not takes 5 hrs.

So far I have not taken a very long trip but locally it has been perfect and trips over an hour each way have still left me
with 25 to 30 percent battery. It has of course been pretty cold here but am not unhappy with the range so far.
My last run started at 85 percent battery. I estimate about 200 miles on a full charge in current cold weather.
I was driving 55 to 65 mph on 2 lane highway.
I hope to take a longer trip soon where I must recharge before returning home.

I took my SR to work yesterday (from Orange County, California to San Bernardino, California). Left the house with a 90% charge (the screen estimated 222 miles of range). The roundtrip was 107.1 miles, and I came home with an estimate of 89 miles (241 Wh/mi and 26 kWh consumed). This left more than enough range to run errands around town.

Set the cruise control anywhere between 70 and 75 mph, with the AC set at 72 degrees F. Ambient temperature outside was in the 60's, and weather was mild. No idea what the psi on my tires were, although I'm guessing it was around 38psi, or whatever comes standard during delivery.

When I first ordered the SR, I was worried about range, and whether it would be sufficient for my commute, but my concerns have, thus far, been unfounded. Although I've only owned the car about a week, I am glad I didn't we didn't pay the extra $ for the LR AWD.

If there's any cons, my SR has had a few fit and finish issues - B pillar on both the driver and passenger side that were loose and needed to be addressed, some interior trim by the rear passenger seat that was loose, a front passenger door that did not close flush, and a headrest that had a weird horizontal indentation. In addition, my mobile connector would not latch after the first use. However, all of these issues were resolved by service, and I am hoping I won't experience any more issues going forward.

I have had my SR for a little over a week. For my needs, the SR range is fine. I live on the island, so a road trip is basically just a trip to Costco. An extensive road trip would include Target. For me, the "trickle charge" speed of just plugging it into the wall is too slow. My friends all plug theirs in overnight, but I play this game called "FU-Helco" (Helco is Hawaii Electric Co....) I have 70 solar panels, and I get credit when I feed extra to the grid during the day, and when I take from the grid (at night) they charge me. So for me, "non peak" is during the day. For that reason, I got a fast charger, so that I could quickly charge during the day, during the few hours that my car is home and not out and about.

My VIN is 114XXX (white/white/induction wheels) and my paint and finishes were flawless, as is the inside. No rattles, creaks, squeaks so far. The passenger front door seems like it is a teeny bit not flush with the body, but sometimes I see it and sometimes I just think it's my imagination.

I came from a BMW 5 series (and have owned all the BMW suvs except the x6 prior) and I find the suspension just fine. I rather prefer a rough suspension and tight, sport steering. Acceleration is amazing. Handling is impressive. Stereo is fine, the BMW one seemed better, but honestly what do I know.

What I don't like is the lack of phone interface for seeing/sending texts and calls compared to the simple text-based interface in my BMW. I also with the front camera would show me whats in front of me when I pull into a parking space. My BMW showed me the lines on either side so that I could park right in the middle of the stall without looking out the window. It has side cameras, so maybe I am just not knowing how to use that?

I don't like fiddling with the screen while driving, except for small stuff like raising or lowering the ac temp. But the buttons on the steering wheel cover like 90% of what I would need. I am a heavy user of the Tesla voice commands, wheras I never used them in my BMW.

Print on the screen could be bigger. Time, temperature, text messages are pretty much unreadable by me 🤓 but I am never needing the exact time, and can do without texting while driving anyway.

Love the car so far. It was meant to just be a transition car until Mercedes or BMW came out with a palatable small electric SAV. But boy, I love driving this way more than I thought I would. Joining team Tesla: A FANGIRL IS BORN!

Reactions: alloverx and jcanoe
I have had my SR for a little over a week. For my needs, the SR range is fine. I live on the island, so a road trip is basically just a trip to Costco. An extensive road trip would include Target. For me, the "trickle charge" speed of just plugging it into the wall is too slow. My friends all plug theirs in overnight, but I play this game called "FU-Helco" (Helco is Hawaii Electric Co....) I have 70 solar panels, and I get credit when I feed extra to the grid during the day, and when I take from the grid (at night) they charge me. So for me, "non peak" is during the day. For that reason, I got a fast charger, so that I could quickly charge during the day, during the few hours that my car is home and not out and about.

My VIN is 114XXX (white/white/induction wheels) and my paint and finishes were flawless, as is the inside. No rattles, creaks, squeaks so far. The passenger front door seems like it is a teeny bit not flush with the body, but sometimes I see it and sometimes I just think it's my imagination.

I came from a BMW 5 series (and have owned all the BMW suvs except the x6 prior) and I find the suspension just fine. I rather prefer a rough suspension and tight, sport steering. Acceleration is amazing. Handling is impressive. Stereo is fine, the BMW one seemed better, but honestly what do I know.

What I don't like is the lack of phone interface for seeing/sending texts and calls compared to the simple text-based interface in my BMW. I also with the front camera would show me whats in front of me when I pull into a parking space. My BMW showed me the lines on either side so that I could park right in the middle of the stall without looking out the window. It has side cameras, so maybe I am just not knowing how to use that?

I don't like fiddling with the screen while driving, except for small stuff like raising or lowering the ac temp. But the buttons on the steering wheel cover like 90% of what I would need. I am a heavy user of the Tesla voice commands, wheras I never used them in my BMW.

Print on the screen could be bigger. Time, temperature, text messages are pretty much unreadable by me 🤓 but I am never needing the exact time, and can do without texting while driving anyway.

Love the car so far. It was meant to just be a transition car until Mercedes or BMW came out with a palatable small electric SAV. But boy, I love driving this way more than I thought I would. Joining team Tesla: A FANGIRL IS BORN!
You are not imagining it; on my Long Range Model Y (VIN 10xxx) the front passenger door sometimes does not close flush with the rear door, yet other times the front passenger door does close flush with the rear door.

Have you tried setting the back up camera display so that the two side repeater camera views are also visible? When the backup camera view is displayed you can swipe up to add the side repeater camera views and have a composite view. (Swipe down to return to the standard backup camera view.)

You are not imagining it; on my Long Range Model Y (VIN 10xxx) the front passenger door sometimes does not close flush with the rear door, yet other times the front passenger door does close flush with the rear door.

Have you tried setting the back up camera display so that the two side repeater camera views are also visible? When the backup camera view is displayed you can swipe up to add the side repeater camera views and have a composite view. (Swipe down to return to the standard backup camera view.)
ah, let me fiddle with the camera display. thanks!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JLOC
@my808 also check out voice commands for sending texts. Tesla has the best voice recognition in my (limited) experience with this feature. There's a spreadsheet summary of these that I could include, but I can't figure out how to attach anything other than PDFs to this post and the list doesn't fit on printed page very well!

Here's a link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...NWPnarHGf6i4/pub?gid=0&single=true&output=pdf
Thank you! I saw this in another post and it became the reason that I mainly now use the voice controls. Some of them are pretty cute, which my friends get a kick out of. They are awesome, and so much safer than poking at the screen... which I do take some time to do while sitting in the car in my garage.

Didnt know this.. thanks!!