Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range actual range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi just bought a model y standard a week ago and used "A better Route" to map a route and it showed a portion that was 135 mile stretch between chargers that I would need to go no more than 35 miles an hour to reach? Does the SR not go over 120-130 miles at 70-75 miles an hour? Does anyone else have one that has done trips in this?

35mph seems ridiculously low. Is it a lot of elevation gain? The range stated by Tesla is at 50mph on flat ground, I believe.

You say "standard range" but I don't see that on the website. What's the quoted range for your car? I have a "Long Range" and they claim 326 miles. I've probably done 250 miles with speeds ranging from 45 to 75 throughout. I get closer to 200 if I'm cruising constantly at 75+.

The Model 3 Standard Range is 263 miles. I think 135 miles should be accomplished easily at interstate speeds.

Hi just bought a model y standard a week ago and used "A better Route" to map a route and it showed a portion that was 135 mile stretch between chargers that I would need to go no more than 35 miles an hour to reach? Does the SR not go over 120-130 miles at 70-75 miles an hour? Does anyone else have one that has done trips in this?

What did your Y say your percentage would be when you get there and what state of your charge would you be starting out at?

Should easily be able to go 130+ miles at ~75ish in a SR Y. I've gone further at those speeds in my SR 3

I would check the ABRP settings. Did you select the Standard Range Model Y (Beta)? What settings did you use for % state of charge (SOC) when arriving at a Supercharger (SC) and % SOC when arriving at your destination? (I would suggest setting the % SOC when arriving at a SC and the % SOC when arriving at the your destination to 10% or 15%.) Set the departure % SOC to 90% or 100%, either would be adequate to reach the first SC stop. What outside air temperature did you specify?

ABRP may default to 293Wh/mile as the power consumption. The Standard Range Model Y battery pack is ~53kWh. 53/.293=180 miles of expected range (before considering elevation changes, head winds, road conditions.) Under most conditions 150 miles should be possible. You might also want to rerun the ABRP route planning at 65 MPH average speed.

Last edited:
Ok sorry the 135mile segment said 65mph for that leg. Seems like anything over 120 “a better route” wants the speed reduced. Maybe that’s correct. I wouldn’t normally take this car on long range trips but it would be nice to know what it averages out to . Thanks for the quick replies.

I recently took a 90 mile trip in my Model Y SR and it used 49% of the battery. This was mostly a highway drive with average speed of 70 miles per hour and light tail winds and about a 300 foot elevation advantage. Climate control was on set to 72F. Temperature outside was about 50F. That gives you one data point. I probably could have gone close to 180 miles on that trip if I drained the battery to 0%.

I'm getting closer to 265 for the reference consumption in ABRP than the default value. That will make a significant difference.

Without knowing the segment it is hard to know though. Is there a mountain involved?
No mountain involved. It is a segment going to Atlanta from memphis. Tupelo,MS to Birmingham says max speed 65 and its like 135-145 mile segment.

35mph seems ridiculously low. Is it a lot of elevation gain? The range stated by Tesla is at 50mph on flat ground, I believe.

You say "standard range" but I don't see that on the website. What's the quoted range for your car? I have a "Long Range" and they claim 326 miles. I've probably done 250 miles with speeds ranging from 45 to 75 throughout. I get closer to 200 if I'm cruising constantly at 75+.

The Model 3 Standard Range is 263 miles. I think 135 miles should be accomplished easily at interstate speeds.
Yeah sorry was typing on the phone and mistyped. It was 65 not 45 but the rest of the trip didn't have a speed limitation so guessing it was based on 70-75?

No mountain involved. It is a segment going to Atlanta from memphis. Tupelo,MS to Birmingham says max speed 65 and its like 135-145 mile segment.
Yeah, change the reference consumption to 275. I think even that is a little high, so it should be easily achievable with the 19" geminis. The defaults also assume 5% degradation. My calculated reference consumption is 266 wh/mi with the LR AWD. If anything, I'd expect the SR to be slightly more efficient.

Make sure you enable detailed settings so that you can set this in ABRP.

I drove my Standard Range Model Y from Austin to Fayetteville AR this summer. That’s through 3 states, about 700 miles. With 4 supercharger stops on the way it took about 14–1/2 hours. I did the speed limit the whole way (except in traffic through Waco). No issues with having to reduce speed to make it. About 150 miles between charges. It was a nice smooth ride. The only time I’ve had to drop my speed is from Austin to Marble Falls TX and back. There are no supercharger stops east-west. There are plenty on I-35 and around Dallas, Ok, and AR.