Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range charges real slowly at urban supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I snagged one of those rare Standard Range MYs in January here in the Bay Area, CA. For the first 5 months i simply charged at home in the garage. But, i moved from that house to an apartment about 5 months ago, so i often go to nearby urban (72 kw)supercharger to charge. But, i have never gotten over 25kw at a time. I typically start with about a 40% charge. Lately (with cold weather) the starting rate has been more like 18 or 20! I have also charged my M3 AWD at this supercharger and it starts at a much higher level. - 50kw or better. Could it be the 'standard range MY just charges slower at the supercharger? Or is this a defect i should ask the service center to check out?

When you drive to the Urban Supercharger (SC) are you entering the SC as your destination in the Tesla Nav system? That will cause the Tesla Model Y to warm the battery as you drive to the SC. If the SC is located close to where you set out then you may want to drive around for a few minutes so the battery is fully warmed for the charging session.

For fastest charging at a SC Tesla recommends arriving at the SC with the battery at 20% state of charge or less, also warm the battery while navigating to the SC.

Reactions: Wilber
When you drive to the Urban Supercharger (SC) are you entering the SC as your destination in the Tesla Nav system? That will cause the Tesla Model Y to warm the battery as you drive to the SC. If the SC is located close to where you set out then you may want to drive around for a few minutes so the battery is fully warmed for the charging session.

For fastest charging at a SC Tesla recommends arriving at the SC with the battery at 20% state of charge or less, also warm the battery while navigating to the SC.
Thanks, I realize that a warmer battery charges faster. My real question is why does my M3 charge more than twice as fast? Both cars typicallly start at 40% charge and with a battery that is not fully warmed up.

The SR Model Y is known to charge slower when using a Supercharger than the LR Model Y. I have only used an Urban Supercharger one time, in summer. The battery of my 2020 LR MY was at ~70% SOC. I was just trying to verify that I could use the Supercharger. The initial charging rate was 36kW, so 50% of the 72kW maximum for the Urban Supercharger.

There is definitely something wrong with your charging situation, unless it is so cold when you are trying to supercharge that it can't get the speed up. It is warm where I am. Here is a graph of a recent supercharge.

1652278478203.png