Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Standard Range EPA Doc & Battery Energy (54.8kWh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for being a little dense (like the 2170L) and late to the party if this has been discussed before but the range increases for 2021 are likely due to the switch to the 5% more energy dense 2170L cells? 250 + 5% = 262.5 for the SR+? That would mean a SR Y if made with the old cells (2170C?) would have had a 232 mile range? I can see Elon saying 230 is too short. But 244 is higher than the original SR+ range of 240 so that is why we get this limited unicorn of sorts. Perfect for a city/suburban family hauler.
Yes. The only slightly confusing thing is that the increase appears to be only 2% (52.5kWh to 53.5kWh if you look at Model 3 SR+ 2020 -> 2021), and the EPA discharge energy didn’t actually change much at all.

But it does seem likely the Model Y SR uses the new cells. Maybe they’ll start offering the YSR again when they have enough line capacity for 2170L. Does not make much sense to be selling them in Model Y SR when they can be going into Performance Model 3/Y.

Yeah, that may have been the whoopsie that led to it being pulled. Lots of orders but not enough cells. Also weird considering the news a couple months ago that all SR cars would switch to LFP batteries like the MIC cars. Then to put the new 2170L cells in them is odd. Would be interesting to know margins to see how many more SR they would have to sell to equal the same profit from a P model.

Don't know if these helps anyone to figure out the battery, but here is MY standard 7 seaters delivered April/May 2021:
IMG_20210608_123401222.jpg
IMG_20210511_224841075.jpg
Scan.png

Reactions: Daekwan
It is. It blocked, just need long arms or a selfie stick type tool to get your phone in there. And get on the right vertical plane with the right angle to shoot towards the back of the car through the various cables and suspension pieces in the way. It took me a few shots to get the right angle, thanks for trying!

I also recently took delivery of an SR and can confirm the same info. Can someone explain the significance of the 2170 cells? Is it good thing or a bad thing? :)
They're the standard cells used in Tesla vehicles. I'm guessing the significance is that some people thought there might be a chance that Tesla put new battery technology in this model trim? Not certain why.

They're the standard cells used in Tesla vehicles. I'm guessing the significance is that some people thought there might be a chance that Tesla put new battery technology in this model trim? Not certain why.
Minor correction - many (like me) are looking at the difference whether it's the 2170 or 2170L cell. Not a crazy difference, but it's slightly higher density.

2022 Model Y Standard Range makes an appearance on EPA site.