Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range for UK - will it happen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't yet know what the long term demand is going to be for the Model Y. This early batch of cars has included a good few Model 3 owners who always wanted/needed a hatchback and who have been closely following the development and release dates in the UK. The lack of Tesla advertising probably means that there are a lot of potential new customers who are not even aware of the Model Y option yet. My bet is that there may be a a very brief softening of relative demand (still high but not stratospheric) before a slow and continuing increase as the Model finds its place in the awareness of the car buying public. I have no crystal ball about Tesla's thinking as to whether they will introduce a SR version soon but I'm not seeing anything that suggests there is any great pressure for them to do it at the moment. If they think it's important to do it they'll do it. I don't think the company's fortunes will be much different either way.

This early batch of cars has included a good few Model 3 owners who always wanted/needed a hatchback

Me!

However, now you mention that I can think of half a dozen people I know who have told me they were specifically waiting for Tesla to bring out a hatchback before they would buy. Dunno about the guy in the village, haven't seen him recently, but one of my mates has ordered a red one ("Red because, you know, it's faster" as he justified it to me) and another peeved because he is waiting on his company actually getting Salary Sacrifice operational.

Heck! Once they discovered I had swapped M3 for MY they were round for a shufty ... and I have a pretty impressive demo lined up now; volume set appropriately loud and Spotify track queued which I think generates a good speaker response, and I'm on WiFi at that point so no chance of streaming dropping out ... then volume off so they can clearly hear my lecture, in full, once we set off. Fart mode suitably pre-configured for whichever seat the most appropriate passenger will be ushered into. Point something out in the village and press dash-cam record to show then when we get back. Turn onto the main road, up to and then sit at 30-40 then full throttle "overtake simulation" (back when I had the MSP I did a launch instead, that always worked a treat :) ), then AP through a pair of speed limits to slow, slow again, and then speed up twice, and a decent double bend to show that it can do more than straight lines, and then when back at base and seen some YouTubes and a selection of useful?! options, after they have disembarked select ToyBox and Light Show just before I get out ...

However, now you mention that I can think of half a dozen people I know who have told me they were specifically waiting for Tesla to bring out a hatchback before they would buy.
A mate of mine was in that camp and now happily driving around in his new MY. He wanted a Tesla ever since seeing my MX, but wouldn't buy a 3 because he needed a full hatch.

We bought a 3 as a second car and it's quite practical for a booted car, but there are times when you wish it had a hatch. The MY is now our ideal family car. Perfect size and plenty of versatile load space. Handling is not very compromised either. Easily good enough to go as fast as you dare on public roads! Handling is much closer to the 3 than our X, while load space is much closer to the X than the 3. Best of both worlds!

Why is the UK the only country where they haven't increased the MY price? Lower than expected demand is the only logical reason but I'm open to listen to the alternative reason.

I've checked out Skoda, VW, Volvo lately. You really think they've got loads of cars sitting about? Used car prices are high because its so hard to get new ones. That's for all manufacturers

Some of you guys on here seem to live in sine sort of Tesla bubble

Price changes do have an affect on the sales, I expect they are keeping for price for now to increase sales over the Model 3, so in that respect you could say they want to increase demand.

Seeing as Tesla have no new inventory available right now having 1 new car available at a dealership would be more than Tesla's availability as my tongue in cheek comment was not meant to be taken seriously.

WannabeOwner has pretty much explained how it works and has in the past, this is the best information we will get as Tesla aren't going to be confirming anything officially on how they price etc.

The MY LR is not competing directly against a Skoda or ID4 so comparing them on price is pointless. It's like saying a Golf R is terrible value against a lesser powered Golf variant. They are just different propositions and unfortunately for you there isn't currently a MY variant for your personal needs.
Yes, well, you're right, that's what it boils down to for me. There isn't an MY for my personal needs, which is kind of frustrating, as you can probably tell lol. The reason I mention those other cars is that they are EV SUVs. The MY is more practical than both of those cars though, so it's odd that Tesla don't land a right hook on them and bring out a SR. Tesla would then get those customers instead of VW group

With Berlin open now, and extra capacity worldwide in general, once Tesla have exhausted the customer base willing to pay £55k plus, it makes sense to then start taking customers from VW group by bringing out a SR.

Of course, how would i know - its just my theory and I'm sticking to it 😀

I'll sit tight for 12 months and see what happens. I bet if I revisit this thread in 12 months, we'll see a MY SR in Europe 😉

With Berlin open now, and extra capacity worldwide in general, once Tesla have exhausted the customer base willing to pay £55k plus, it makes sense to then start taking customers from VW group by bringing out a SR.
Once those factories ramp up and they satisfy the backlog then yes I'm sure they will introduce a cheaper model - whether that is an LFP SR or a part filled 4680 structural pack SR AWD (as just launched to Tesla employees in the US) remains to be seen.

Seems reasonable. (increase>decrease - "difference in price" anyway). Of course by then the LR will have gone up by £6000...
At which point some potential customers pick another brand

I would be in an MG5 facelifted estate car for £30k ish before I'm spending north of £50k for a standard Tesla. That £20k would go a long way for other nice things. Each to there own of course. The 40 grand M3 just about made sense to me when I bought it, but you have to draw a line somewhere.

Yes, well, you're right, that's what it boils down to for me. There isn't an MY for my personal needs, which is kind of frustrating, as you can probably tell lol. The reason I mention those other cars is that they are EV SUVs. The MY is more practical than both of those cars though, so it's odd that Tesla don't land a right hook on them and bring out a SR. Tesla would then get those customers instead of VW group

Of course, how would i know - its just my theory and I'm sticking to it 😀

I'll sit tight for 12 months and see what happens. I bet if I revisit this thread in 12 months, we'll see a MY SR in Europe 😉
Tesla are clearly not interested in competing directly with VW right now. In practical terms the EV market is now bottomless for all manufacturers. They can sell everything they choose to produce and Tesla are doing extremely well in the £50-60k market with very little direct competition. Even if there was serious competition, overall demand for EVs is growing rapidly. There are literally millions of potential EV converts over the next few years, all still driving around in ICE vehicles. No single manufacturer needs to have a monopoly on EVs. There is plenty of room for multiple players as there has been in the ICE market for decades. Tesla are simply maximising their revenue relative to their production capability. Selling cheaper EVs doesn't make a lot of sense while you are production limited and your more expensive models are selling as fast as you can produce them.

Tesla are shrewd. They are not competing against VW's EVs, they are competing against VW's premium ICE vehicles.

At which point some potential customers pick another brand

I would be in an MG5 facelifted estate car for £30k ish before I'm spending north of £50k for a standard Tesla. That £20k would go a long way for other nice things. Each to there own of course. The 40 grand M3 just about made sense to me when I bought it, but you have to draw a line somewhere.
Obviously it ties up more cash up front, but you might find that a £50k Tesla actually works out cheaper to own over 3 years than a £30k MG5. Depreciation being the key long term cost. Take your £40k M3 for example. It's probably still worth much the same as you paid for it now that new ones are £46k. In their own eco-bubble without heavy discounting among competing franchise dealers, Tesla residuals are likely to remain very strong. MG residuals are going to be much more of a gamble.

Me!

However, now you mention that I can think of half a dozen people I know who have told me they were specifically waiting for Tesla to bring out a hatchback before they would buy. Dunno about the guy in the village, haven't seen him recently, but one of my mates has ordered a red one ("Red because, you know, it's faster" as he justified it to me) and another peeved because he is waiting on his company actually getting Salary Sacrifice operational.

Heck! Once they discovered I had swapped M3 for MY they were round for a shufty ... and I have a pretty impressive demo lined up now; volume set appropriately loud and Spotify track queued which I think generates a good speaker response, and I'm on WiFi at that point so no chance of streaming dropping out ... then volume off so they can clearly hear my lecture, in full, once we set off. Fart mode suitably pre-configured for whichever seat the most appropriate passenger will be ushered into. Point something out in the village and press dash-cam record to show then when we get back. Turn onto the main road, up to and then sit at 30-40 then full throttle "overtake simulation" (back when I had the MSP I did a launch instead, that always worked a treat :) ), then AP through a pair of speed limits to slow, slow again, and then speed up twice, and a decent double bend to show that it can do more than straight lines, and then when back at base and seen some YouTubes and a selection of useful?! options, after they have disembarked select ToyBox and Light Show just before I get out ...

He he ... Tesla DO have an advertising campaign after all ... being run by @WannabeOwner !

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Tesla DO have an advertising campaign after all ... being run by @WannabeOwner !

And I get no thanks from Tesla of course ...

... actually not entirely true, I did get thanks when there was a referral program. There were loads of people like me ... giving demos (only stopped short of letting people drive for insurance, but latterly I have lent a car to people for the weekend [them to insure it]). I've driven a fair distance, on one occasion, because someone on here asked "Will it fit in my garage". I seem to remember that when Bjorn went on holiday he had a raffle for borrowing his car whilst he was away ... forgotten how many millions of miles he got in the referral program - not to mention a couple of cars (although he has to contend with 50% tax on such things in Norway) and 2x Roadster

I wonder if Musk and colleagues ever realised that that form of marketing would become Such A Thing, or if they took a punt on referrals and it paid off big time. I suppose they did plenty else that was brave - the warranty on battery / drive train, the rollout of Supercharger, the "Free for life" use of Superchargers and so on. Maybe if you are at the start and burning VC money who cares? Go for it.

Its a very equal world, I now have to put up with the same shieeet service as everyone else.

The question will be how big that £55k market is. Its got to be at least 3 years - people having to wait for current Fossil to come off finance. Maybe a bit more than that, "Bought an ID / Etron / Taycan?!" and wish I had bought a Tesla. Although if Supercharger network opens then maybe those brands become far more acceptable ... provided the charger location reaches the cable. I have a mate who bought an MG and got rid of it because (as he told me) the battery degradation was horrific. I don't remember reading other stories like that anywhere (Bjorn's family had one in Thailand and he wrote about it extensively), so I expect he was an outlier. Most of my rich barsteward mates are still driving their Range Rovers ... although some are waiting on delivery of the Taycan Turismo as their replacement motor of choice for the school run.

Of course, how would i know - its just my theory and I'm sticking to it

Time will tel. How smug you will be when you are right :)

Time will tel. How smug you will be when you are right :)
Well well well :)

Maybe the Standard Range MY is coming to Europe after all?

I said give it 12 months back in April and most people thought I was hugely wrong, but it might be much sooner than that?

Post not aimed at you wannabe owner, just using your how smug will you be punchline :)

Although, I still might have to eat humble pie, its not listed online for sale as such but this battery chemistry screams of SR?

Regardless, that BYD blade battery is ultra safe and well respected so I'm glad I held out on MY purchase. Fingers crossed we'll see it for sale soon.

Looks like the European Model Y standard range will have 55kwh battery and be good for 440km or about 275 miles. Plenty for me tbh. And with lfp batteries being fine with 100% charging, you're not worried about filling her up. If the LR is good for 330 miles, that's about 300 when charged to 90% so not a huge difference

Hopefully with a single motor and less HP, insurance will be cheaper too

Screenshot_20220812-080754_Samsung Internet.jpg

So as some will be aware, despite most saying I was wrong, the Model Y standard range is now available for sale for UK buyers.

I knew it would sell well when 1st released and then sales would taper off, opening the door for a MY SR and here we are, literally a few months after I predicted that this would happen within 12 months. A bit earlier than expected but here we are.

It was obvious to me - there is only so big a market for cars at such high prices and while lots of people have their head in the clouds thinking Tesla just needs to build cars and people will buy them into infinity, people have budgets to work too, now, more so than ever and that matters.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a price cut next year either. We're looking like heading into a recession, BOE will raise interest rates a fair bit more too, higher household bills, higher mortgages etc. Tesla have such high profit margins that they'll have no problem reducing prices to keep the factories running optimally. Sub £50k model Y will be here next year.

I know people will probably laugh at the above but they laughed at me when I said MY SR is coming.....

Tesla have got no incentive to lower prices "just becase". They will do so purely based on supply and demand, like everyone else.

Most people buy cars on the never-never, like everything else, so the total price of a MY is broadly irrelevant, it's only the deposit and monthlies that factor into purchasing decisions. The majority of people don't have the means to buy the car (or pay the bubble) outright.

Also - expect Apple's latest kit that is due to be announced in September to be more expensive than the last lot, etc etc.

Tesla have got no incentive to lower prices "just becase". They will do so purely based on supply and demand, like everyone else.

Most people buy cars on the never-never, like everything else, so the total price of a MY is broadly irrelevant, it's only the deposit and monthlies that factor into purchasing decisions. The majority of people don't have the means to buy the car (or pay the bubble) outright.

Also - expect Apple's latest kit that is due to be announced in September to be more expensive than the last lot, etc etc.
Yeah, thats what I'm saying. Once the initial demand boost for the MY SR is flushed through, then we'll see price cuts. Supply and demand.

I don't agree with statement that total price of a car is broadly irrelevant. Thats hugely wrong. It impacts residuals which impacts PCP/lease/2nd hand values etc.